Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Internet troll fraud
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:41 pm 

Hi All,

Just the other day I posted a ' wanted ad' for an OCM 88 preamp.. To my utter amazement, a day later, I received a text message from an individual, named John, informing me that a friend of his, in Wisconsin-***gerycarust@gmail.com****, had the line stage and was interested in selling it to me. He provided me with his friend's email and suggested I contact him...
So far so good, I reached out to him and sure enough he emailed me back with pics of the unit and a price. I emailed back that I would make payment through PayPal and he refused this method insisting he had been hacked vowing never to use them again, and alternatively suggested wiring the money via Walmart moneygram.
Later I checked with Moneygram and was informed they do not have buyer protection other than a weak disclaimer about 'buyer beware'. Now I was feeling very uneasy, so I googled John's number associated with his text-****312-614-2140****-and found this number to be associated with other UPS internet scams. Further I googled images of the preamp and behold and Low found the exact ones on a sold ad from 2015 on canuckaudio mart. The S.O.B clipped, cropped and emailed the very same pics to me and so to anyone reading this, I cannot stress enough on insisting on a payment method with buyer protection and don't take any wooden nickels..

Regards

Sam

Post subject: Re: Internet troll fraud
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:48 pm 

ceccio wrote:
Hi All,

Just the other day I posted a ' wanted ad' for an OCM 88 preamp.. To my utter amazement, a day later, I received a text message from an individual, named John, informing me that a friend of his, in Wisconsin-***gerycarust@gmail.com****, had the line stage and was interested in selling it to me. He provided me with his friend's email and suggested I contact him...
So far so good, I reached out to him and sure enough he emailed me back with pics of the unit and a price. I emailed back that I would make payment through PayPal and he refused this method insisting he had been hacked vowing never to use them again, and alternatively suggested wiring the money via Walmart moneygram.
Later I checked with Moneygram and was informed they do not have buyer protection other than a weak disclaimer about 'buyer beware'. Now I was feeling very uneasy, so I googled John's number associated with his text-****312-614-2140****-and found this number to be associated with other UPS internet scams. Further I googled images of the preamp and behold and Low found the exact ones on a sold ad from 2015 on canuckaudio mart. The S.O.B clipped, cropped and emailed the very same pics to me and so to anyone reading this, I cannot stress enough on insisting on a payment method with buyer protection and don't take any wooden nickels..

Regards

Sam

Scams such as this is as old as the internet. But thanks for the awareness. Just a word of advice, for the sake of privacy you should remove your email address and tele number from your wanted ad.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:06 pm 

i'd be more concerned as to how this john person got yer cell number.

or was it listed in the ad?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:07 pm 

BinkyTheCat wrote:
i'd be more concerned as to how this john person got yer cell number.

or was it listed in the ad?

It's listed in his ad. Big no no!!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:13 pm 
Premium User

The easiest way to avoid these types of scams is, unfortunately, in my experience not to deal with newbies or 0 feedback people, My CAM account is set up so that only CAM members can contact me. I'm still cautious if dealing with someone with only one or two feedbacks and hasn't been around for a while. If I'm dealing with someone that has lots of feedback then it's a non-issue. I send EMT payment without hesitation to established members.

The only times I've dealt with zero feedback people is in person and cash only deals. Most of the time, they were good people, newbies and without much history. I make sure to leave them good feedback, so they can establish themselves, as we were all newbies at some point too.

Even as a seller, dealing with no-feedback people is still a risk if receiving payment through Paypal. For those people I only accept EMT payment. If they don't want to or give me a story about it being risky for them, then I simply don't sell to them if my 125+ positive feedbacks isn't enough to reassure them. Simple as that. It's all about minimizing risk. There's always risk, but dealing with a zero feedback newbie is the riskiest IMO. Most of them are good people, but it's the few bad apples that ruin it for them.

Just use common sense. If there's no feedback and no history, don't send money. Play it safe always.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:21 pm 

Good on you with the due diligence..this would of ended badly.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:45 am 

The fact he would not take PayPal puts up a red flag. I would never buy from anyone that does not accept PayPal, even if I want to use another method of payment.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:55 am 

ceccio wrote:
Hi All,

Regards

Sam

I can tell you must be new to CAM. Thsi sort of thing happens regularly. For some reasons, I guess since CAM ads show up often when one searches for vintage or new audio, the scammers see the targets out there- CAM sellers. Never pay EFT, only use Paypal as a buyer. As a seller just keep in mind that Paypal will back the buyer first, most of the time. Cam sees fairly regular posts about sellers being scammed or buyers paying EFT and they nothing. One of the reasons you never post your email and or phone number is they can be associated with a scam since a reverse lookup for either one will result in someone reading about a scam right? Also, don't give potential scammers more info about than you have to.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:49 am 

Thank you all for your insightful feedback.. On your recommendation I will remove my phone number and email address..

Cheers

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:58 am 

Excellent. Just be aware now that both your phone and email address have been publicly displayed, be prepared for spam email and spoof calls. You’ve also displayed your full name which makes it even easier for these scammers to target you. Good luck on your search for the preamp. And play safe!