Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:58 am 

renehuot70 wrote:
I sometimes ask
What is your best price including shipping for XXX XXX?

Often the seller will offer to split the shipping cost or free shipping

I think it is a ok...

yup, that what I do. say i'll split shipping on an item and then inquire as to what number the potential buyer has in mind. at least try get a dialogue going.

sometimes its works out - sometimes it goes south - sometimes conversation never continues.

what effin annoys me is the local lowballers who not only send an insulting offer but addd the old "cash in hand" comment.

I mean how else to you expect to close a face to face sale?? with a goat and 2 laying hens?! save your allowance for another month or 2 and get back to me...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:23 am 

You'd be surprised. I've had people offer me trades, not for audio equipment but whatever garbage they happened to have pilfered from somewhere. Laptops, ipods, etc..

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:35 am 

I feel like the topic question was originally followed by, "I am on an aircraft carrier in the persian gulf, my shipping agent will pick it up and pay you with a bank draft."

Attachments:
bestprice.jpg
bestprice.jpg [ 85.93 KiB | Viewed 334 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:41 am 

I post my sale items reasonably and at a price I am willing to let it go for. I don't play the game....my price is my price. Don't like it? Move on. Simple, isn't it?

The bottom feeders who start with "will you take $300 less" on a $500 item? Ya, right!

I don't haggle when I buy, and I don't haggle when I sell. Why? Because buying and selling is not a sport, an occupation, or entertainment for me. I understand that, for others, it is. If so, you will be disappointed with me :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:45 am 

^ LOL - CAMers sure are some tough negotiators!

Would have been good to have a CAMer standing on the stage in Helsinki instead of Comrade Trumpski...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:05 pm 

:shock: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:49 am 

Michael F wrote:
Anyone else annoyed by being asked that question as an initial reply to an ad? I`m being asked to lower my asking price even before getting an offer. Whats worse it seems to be gaining popularity not only here but on other sites as well.

My default reply, if I even bother to reply at all has been "whats your best offer?" but if someone can suggest something more appropriate then by all means..
End of rant :mrgreen:

I have often been asked that, and similar other questions in an effort to have me reduce a price. My answer is such that I confirm " so you're looking for a good deal?" and naturally the answer is a resounding " yes I am". To which I reply, " A good deal occurs only when both parties have benefited, otherwise someone is getting ripped off, and like you, I don't want to get ripped off, so I priced it as a good deal for both of us."

Last edited by Eli47 on Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:18 am 

I rarely sell other than local and therefore only advertise locally, I try to be fair in pricing, sometimes I state "price is firm" sometimes I am open to negotiate, I'm not too particular on how the negotiations begin. Having said that when I am looking at other people's ads I have an idea what the item is worth, if you price your item at say $1100 or $1050 it's my impression you are looking for $1000, and that's where I will try to take the negotiations.

What I do find is several ads that are poorly written by lazy sellers, vague, terrible or no photos, terms left out, shipping options, payment options, etc, and when I do contact them they don't read my questions fully and don't respond fully. :roll: On the other hand some sellers are stellar and are easy to deal with.

Long rant short, be up front as much as possible, be clear and concise, make the transaction as straight forward as possible and your ad will attract good buyers.