Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:59 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:05 am 
Premium User

vinylbrother wrote:
Having been in and out of retail for 40 years, when this is the first question asked, you have generally lost the sale already.

There is one member of CAM ( not sure of the member name ) who came up with a very clever statement in all of his ads, something to the effect of:
" please don't ask me what is my best price, I do not negotiate with myself ! "

When people ask me " what is my best price ?" I usually counter with " what is your best offer?"... If the conversation goes into the sewer from there, I just delete his e-mail and move on...

Bottom line, if you're serious, just make a committed offer that you plan on honouring if I accept.

Best Answer Ever! Pretty much sums up everything i could think to write out

Although sometimes if i know the price i'm willing to accept i just say that number. (ie. i post it at $55 but want $50.....i'll just say my best offer is $50)
The problem here is it kinda kills any further negotiation for the buyer cause i already gave my "best price", whereas if he started off by offering me $45 i may have just considered and taken that to make the sale.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:11 am 

Too many people watching Pawn Stars..."what's your best price" is one of their most common questions to the seller when they are way off on the value.

Regards
Ohms

www.leohl.ca

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:23 am 

As my trusted dealer stated many times - "Pricing needs to be fair for both the buyer & seller".

If the asking price is fair, then there is no need for any negotiations.

Happy Listening,

Francis R. :D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:35 am 

What`s your best price?
Best for who?
You or me?
If it is best for me then it is above asking.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:42 am 

I reply with...thanks for your inquiry. Since it was just posted your question is illrelivent as I will get the price quoted since I have spend months researching other sites and sold items and have found the price posted is fair.
I suggest you contuine on in your search for find something in your best price range.
Have a nice day.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:44 am 

natalie wrote:
What`s your best price?
Best for who?
You or me?
If it is best for me then it is above asking.

Correct. The question is an oxymoron. Respond with your asking or even add a premium...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:45 am 

AudiOhm wrote:
Too many people watching Pawn Stars..."what's your best price" is one of their most common questions to the seller when they are way off on the value.

Regards
Ohms

yes, pawn star, liquidator ,barthers king and American nose picker, is pretty much altering some of those peoples minds.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:05 am 

i do not see a problem with that question

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:11 am 
Premium User

"What is your best price?"
OR
"Is that your best price?"

Subtle difference there.
I might consider entering into a negotiation with the latter,

Insofar as the former is concerned - and somebody already mentioned this ploy - I have, on occasion, replied to such an inquiry with a higher price than what I've stated on the ad.
And don't think that hasn't created some fun!! Some folks 'get it' and we have a laugh - some get right ornery about such a response - so they get tossed out.

And this is not just e-mail inquiries. Sometimes it's right there face-to-face.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:23 am 

seller wants the highest price they can get
buyer doesn't want to pay more than needs to
somewhere in between there is usually a number that works for both
whether the path to get there is through a buyer's offer our a seller's reply is only relevant to the attitude of either party.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:35 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

mpublicover wrote:
seller wants the highest price they can get
buyer doesn't want to pay more than needs to
somewhere in between there is usually a number that works for both
whether the path to get there is through a buyer's offer our a seller's reply is only relevant to the attitude of either party.

Only if both parties are reasonable. Which is not always the case. In my experience, as seller who advertises my best price to make the item attractive...this is almost never the case.

I advertise the item for $55, when all other adverts are at $85-75.

Receive mail, where the buyer offers me $25, maybe $30. I tell them it's already at my best price. And to go and buy one at the price that is twice as high as mine. (Depending on the tone they deliver on their inquiry).

Basically, not serious buyers. Just jackasses. I've been buying and selling audio video gear, privately, since the mid-late 80's.

It's never been as bad as it is now. It's more a sign of the economy than anything else. Wake up people....you're a hair away from disaster...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:58 am 

Being asked that qu. is less pita trouble than a 'buyer' who lists a few questions, expects a response while all the time intending never to buy the item.
I try to detail fully all my ads but still I fall into the above trap, and it is annoying. Note to self: Must refrain from answering.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:09 am 
Premium User

How about this:

Buyer: “What’s your best price?”
Seller: “For you, asking price. For those who don’t ask the question, , 10% lower.”

I tend to agree that if you are SERIOUS about the purchase, you don’t ask the question. It is a tire kicker/flipper/lowballer question. They aren’t interested in a fair transaction. However, I also believe if you are serious about selling, price it to sell.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:15 am 

Nah....being asked "what's your best price" comes with the territory of selling used goods, from ping-pong tables to audio gear. If I am ready to go lower I just respond accordingly. If price is firm then be it.

Not every potential buyer is a lowballer. Maybe the asking price is unreasonably high...

One thing for sure, answering with smarty-pants answer will shut the door to perfectly good folks, just because they asked the question.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:49 am 

Sorry, but I find the question to be ignorant. I posted my asking and if your interested, make an offer and we can negotiate from here. While I "may", lower my price in a day, week, month or next year - it will be dependent on multiple factors. Place your offer anywhere on that timeline, and feel free to lower it if you feel my resolve wavering.

I will not play guessing game to please your inability to risk making an offer, and finding it rejected or the start of negotiations.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next