Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:23 am 

Seems Intel has been caught sleeping at the wheel…AGAIN! Time to start working on that AMD Threadripper build.

https://www.pcmag.com/news/358249/intel ... eans-slowe

Quote:
Although nobody outside of Intel knows the specifics, the flaw is thought to be so serious it could allow any software, even a bit of JavaScript running in a web browser, to access and steal data stored in the protected kernel memory. So that includes your passwords, login keys, or any files that happen to be cached when unauthorized access occurs.

The vulnerability alone is bad enough, but the fix makes the situation even worse. Closing the security hole made possible by the chip design flaw will result in a significant performance hit to each system. Current estimates suggest that performance hit could be as high as 30 percent.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:51 am 

I just looked for the AMD Threadripper price and since I dont intend to send home base guided missiles at NK I have a question for you.

I searched and didn't found if the Intel 30% drop will be permanent or a short time drawback.

What do you think about it?

(I'm planning an upgrade on an Intel tower)

Attachments:
amd-ryzen-7-1700-cpu-inhand1-1500x1001.jpg
amd-ryzen-7-1700-cpu-inhand1-1500x1001.jpg [ 163.66 KiB | Viewed 685 times ]
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:58 am 

Screw Intel, I was just about to pick up Ram. Bought this for the kid for XmAs, for his gaming.

Attachments:
A18C0A18-A253-46D8-BE05-FFCF10BB559D.jpeg
A18C0A18-A253-46D8-BE05-FFCF10BB559D.jpeg [ 283.25 KiB | Viewed 679 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:08 am 

Genetic wrote:
I just looked for the AMD Threadripper price and since I dont intend to send home base guided missiles at NK I have a question for you.

I searched and didn't found if the Intel 30% drop will be permanent or a short time drawback.

What do you think about it?

(I'm planning an upgrade on an Intel tower)

The claims are that a microcode update to the processor cannot be conducted so the performance hit will be permanent. How that performance hit affects everyday computing is yet to be determined. It is claimed up to 30%.

AMD’s Threadripper is geared toward the HEDT (High End Desktop) market. One of my many tasks is sending guided missiles to NK so this is a platform I am interested in. There is the AMD Ryzen line which clock for clock is giving Intel a good run for their money and in most cases out performing for less.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:29 am 

Thanks Sthomas.

I'll look into the Ryzen line. I have moderate computer needs but a potential 30% reduction is not good news.

Attachments:
1246556808_Missile_launch_fail.gif
1246556808_Missile_launch_fail.gif [ 1.48 MiB | Viewed 663 times ]
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:41 am 

Genetic wrote:
Thanks Sthomas.

I'll look into the Ryzen line. I have moderate computer needs but a potential 30% reduction is not good news.

Not just that but the potential of being exploited and having the passwords to all cat gifs stolen. There is also the question of how long has Intel kept this under the covers – the flaw is 10 years old!! :shock:

BTW - Looks like my one of my missile launches. If you look closely you’ll see "Intel Inside" :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:44 am 

AMD have been the gamer's choice for years. I'm not a gamer, but luckily for me, I like to support the underdog. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:08 pm 

Not a gamer (only here on CAM :wink: ) but if I remember correctly few years ago the AMD products were suppose to need more cooling (and more fans power).

What I want and what I have right now is dead silent PCs. I dont want to loose that at any cost.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:17 pm 

Genetic wrote:
Not a gamer (only here on CAM :wink: ) but if I remember correctly few years ago the AMD products were suppose to need more cooling (and more fans power).

What I want and what I have right now is dead silent PCs. I dont want to loose that at any cost.

Those were their vid cards. Which also has been rectified. Using an AMD 490 8gb 144 hz AMD vid card. with no issues.

Intel is just too expensive. That 8 core Ryzen 7 only draws about 70 watts. Where an 8 core intel is 140 watts at twice the price.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:21 pm 

Genetic wrote:

I wouldn’t say that. The temperatures fluctuated based on CPU - some of the AMD lineup did run hotter than their Intel counterparts but not to the point where you would need extra fans. If you are building your own PC, the savings you get from AMD and its motherboards (which are also cheaper on average) you could invest in a quieter cooler. The stock coolers that come with both AMD and Intel are garbage!

Also keep in mind more fans does not mean more noise. You can lower the RPM of multiple fans but still have an increase in air flow (CFM). My current PC has 10 fans (2 radiator, 3 chassis, 4 GPU and 1 PSU) and I can’t hear it sitting 3 feet away (my cat snoring is louder!)

-- Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:35 pm --

audiocat wrote:
Genetic wrote:

Those were their vid cards. Which also has been rectified. Using an AMD 490 8gb 144 hz AMD vid card. with no issues.

Intel is just too expensive. That 8 core Ryzen 7 only draws about 70 watts. Where an 8 core intel is 140 watts at twice the price.

As much as I am not too pleased with Intel, in all fairness you are comparing apples to oranges. The Intel equivalent to the AMD Ryzen 7 is the i7 8700. Less cores, only 6, but higher clocks and draws 65 watts. It’s roughly $50 more. The i7- 7820x you are referring to is part of the HEDT line

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:00 pm 

Few years ago I choose the most silent (and biggest) Lian Li case available. What a monster.... :(

I put all the best Noctua fans I could find. 3 years ago I filled it with SSD drives and one of the biggest and silent power supply.

I upgrade almost everything inside after a 3 years period. The 3 years term is right now. This time AMD will be on my short list.

Thanks for the info.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:16 pm 

Genetic wrote:
Few years ago I choose the most silent (and biggest) Lian Li case available. What a monster.... :(

I put all the best Noctua fans I could find. 3 years ago I filled it with SSD drives and one of the biggest and silent power supply.

I upgrade almost everything inside after a 3 years period. The 3 years term is right now. This time AMD will be on my short list.

Thanks for the info.

My perspective is from pure gaming only.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:20 pm 

audiocat wrote:
Genetic wrote:

Thanks for the info.

My perspective is from pure gaming only.

In my thanks I was including you... :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:47 pm 

Looks like this is turning into a PR nightmare.

• Intel claims the flaw is not just with their products. Wanted to sit on their @$$ till next week before releasing a statement.

• AMD claims “Due to differences in AMD's architecture, we believe there is a near zero risk to AMD processors at this time.”. Near zero is a bit concerning. Note: AMD developed the x86-64 architecture to which Intel was caught (and admitted) copying it back in early 2000. Can’t say for sure but I believe it is either licenced to Intel or was traded for use of other tech. And there is nothing confirming this is the architecture that is affected.

• Google and some of it’s tech partners, claims to have been exploited on 2 separate cases due to the flaw. They call the exploits Meltdown and Spectre. The Meltdown exploit is limited to Intel chipsets but Google and team claim they have verified Spectre also affects AMD and ARM processors.

WTF! Think it’s time to unplug from the interwebz and go play a record!

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/03/amd-reb ... chips.html

https://www.wired.com/story/critical-in ... computers/

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:11 pm 

There's no Intel PR disaster on this one, they have already quickly reacted to the problem. Intel's CEO dumped a lot of his company stock in November.

https://www.fool.com/investing/2017/12/ ... stock.aspx