Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:29 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:48 am 

edge42 I agree with petersch, get over there and have a listen to Steven's KHorn/402s.

This will give you a close idea of what I have with my Jubilees, see at the bottom of page 122 for what my Jubs look like.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=25383&start=1815

Cornscalas are also a very rewarding speaker to listen to, I believe a huge step up from the Cornwall.
At least mine are compared to the two different pairs of Cornwalls that I have owned.

This spring I will be refinishing a pair of Peavey FH-1 bass bins, swapping in a pair of Crites CW1526C woofers (same as I used in my Cornscalas)
Then building a top hat which will house a Klipsch K510 horn with a Faital, HF-200 compression driver (same CD as I use on my K402 horn in the Jubilees)
I am going to use the open channels in my Xilica DSP Xover and actively feed two Crown D-75A amps as 2 way.

"Some" say the Peavey is a little better bass bin than the LaScala and Belle due to it's slightly larger folded horn, so I am expecting this new project to sound pretty good.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:16 am 

Wow, horn guys really do go all out, I see a trend forming :-) - those look amazing HPower!

Yes that was tons of fun, Pete - thanks again!

Steven that sounds great, I'd love to hear them and sounds like Pete would love to join as well! PM me to set something up?

greatlookinglandscapes, I have looked at those M4's but feel like I'd be better off just going with the M3's in that case for the extra $1k. I can get a pair to my door for $2,800, M3 Turbo S.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:56 am 

Mike,

There's a set of fairly rare 2 piece Klipsch La Scala listed on Kijiji in Calgary. If I had something like that I'd just stash away the top horns and build up a new top end for my big horns using the La Scala bottoms. The LS bottoms need some bracing to get rid of that boxy bottom and it's on my list of spring projects once I can start sawing outdoors.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-ipod-mp3-player-other/calgary/klipsch-la-scala-speakers/1338374708?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:07 am 

edge42 wrote:
Wow, horn guys really do go all out, I see a trend forming :-) - those look amazing HPower!

Steven that sounds great, I'd love to hear them and sounds like Pete would love to join as well! PM me to set something up?

greatlookinglandscapes, I have looked at those M4's but feel like I'd be better off just going with the M3's in that case for the extra $1k. I can get a pair to my door for $2,800, M3 Turbo S.
A good choice seems cheap though but why not go all out and get the triode master if you can get such a nice price?Clayton Shaw will tell you clearly better.There 3k usd plus freight and you say 2800 inc tax and freight? is your connection running a charity lol.

Last edited by greatlookinglandscapes on Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:14 am 

petersch wrote:
Mike,

There's a set of fairly rare 2 piece Klipsch La Scala listed on Kijiji in Calgary. If I had something like that I'd just stash away the top horns and build up a new top end for my big horns using the La Scala bottoms. The LS bottoms need some bracing to get rid of that boxy bottom and it's on my list of spring projects once I can start sawing outdoors.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-ipod-mp3-player-other/calgary/klipsch-la-scala-speakers/1338374708?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

As bad ass as those are I don't have anywhere for them. Could be an awesome find for someone with the room though!

-- 09 Mar 2018 15:16 --

greatlookinglandscapes wrote:
edge42 wrote:

A good choice seems cheap though but why not go all out and get the triode master if you can get such a nice price?Clayton Shaw will tell you clearly better

The set of M3 Turbo S's I found is pre-owned, I believe the Triode's are a significant increase in price but I'll check into it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:20 am 

edge42 wrote:
petersch wrote:
Mike,

As bad ass as those are I don't have anywhere for them. Could be an awesome find for someone with the room though!

-- 09 Mar 2018 15:16 --

greatlookinglandscapes wrote:
edge42 wrote:

A good choice seems cheap though but why not go all out and get the triode master if you can get such a nice price?Clayton Shaw will tell you clearly better

The set of M3 Turbo S's I found is pre-owned, I believe the Triode's are a significant increase in price but I'll check into it.

Ya the triodes retail 1200.00 more.But there worth it.Read the audio circle link on Spatial web.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:04 am 

Thank you again Pete for hosting and for everyone sharing their knowledge, music and insights -- I can happily say I walked away with a full brain of info! Pete's house is like being a kid in a candy store, it really was a blast. Whenever those 300B monoblocks are finished I would be delighted to hear what the "300B Magic" is all about! I could also bring over the Pass XA30.5 since it's apparently one of the more "tubey" of the Pass stuff. Hopefully before the end of April, I'm moving back to Calgary after that.

Also found out that I might be a closet-horn lover, I have not even plugged my dac back into my system in fear I might just be disgusted! Kidding of course :) Fortunately living in a condo will halt any impulse purchasing of massive cabinets and 15" drivers! The Cornscala's look economical and might be what I would like at some point, I'm really happy that you guys shared that with me. Like the vinyl and tubes you introduced, horns sound like another rabbit hole :)

I too would like to hear the Klipsch K402 given the opportunity. They are absolute beasts! Scroll down here for scale:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-s ... bilee.html

Such a great community here, very appreciative!

Edge42, did you get a chance to hear the Monitor Audio's?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:17 am 
Premium User

msommers wrote:
Also found out that I might be a closet-horn lover, I have not even plugged my dac back into my system in fear I might just be disgusted! Kidding of course :)

Horns are f*cking awesome when done right!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:51 am 

petersch wrote:
Mike,

I think that is a KILLER deal on those Industrial Splits, somebody should grab them!
If I was close, I would.

I paid $260usd for the two FH-1s a month or so ago and did a 6 hour round trip to pick them up.
Not even sure the OEM Black Widow woofers even work, but I didn't care as I had a pair of the Crites woofers that I paid $200usd for the pair.
As Peter was mentioning about the LaScala bass bin could use braces, the Peavey has the factory bracing, as well as the larger horn...

Attachment:
FH_1s.jpg
FH_1s.jpg [ 161.6 KiB | Viewed 504 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:52 pm 

msommers wrote:
Thank you again Pete for hosting and for everyone sharing their knowledge, music and insights -- I can happily say I walked away with a full brain of info! Pete's house is like being a kid in a candy store, it really was a blast. Whenever those 300B monoblocks are finished I would be delighted to hear what the "300B Magic" is all about! I could also bring over the Pass XA30.5 since it's apparently one of the more "tubey" of the Pass stuff. Hopefully before the end of April, I'm moving back to Calgary after that.

Also found out that I might be a closet-horn lover, I have not even plugged my dac back into my system in fear I might just be disgusted! Kidding of course :) Fortunately living in a condo will halt any impulse purchasing of massive cabinets and 15" drivers! The Cornscala's look economical and might be what I would like at some point, I'm really happy that you guys shared that with me. Like the vinyl and tubes you introduced, horns sound like another rabbit hole :)

I too would like to hear the Klipsch K402 given the opportunity. They are absolute beasts! Scroll down here for scale:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-s ... bilee.html

Such a great community here, very appreciative!

Edge42, did you get a chance to hear the Monitor Audio's?

Yeah horns can be pretty awesome as witnessed as Pete's place! But they pretty much talked me out of Cornwalls or Forte's since I'm not a DIY guy at all and don't want to buy to modify. I can sure appreciate the guys out there that do though!!

I did listen to the Monitor Audios but only the Silver 300's since the 500's were all sold out. They were quite impressive especially for the asking price, very balanced and cohesive sound across the bass, midrange and treble (from using all similar materials in their drivers perhaps?).

The sales person also had me listen to a pair of B&W 702's that I did not like at all, I found them much too "sharp" sounding. The decoupled midrange driver did give it a nice accurate midrange but I constantly thought the overall sound was too sharp and clinical.

Speakers were on a switcher and db-equalized when switching back and forth since the B&W's were roughly 5 ticks hotter on the Krell preamp. The Monitors had better bass surprisingly given it's smaller cabinet size, less and smaller drivers, but the B&W's felt more dynamic with their array of 7" drivers.

In the end he suggested I come back when they have the 500's in stock. It was fun as always though and gave me a good flavor of the new Monitor Audio Silver sound.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:13 pm 

James_W wrote:
msommers wrote:
Also found out that I might be a closet-horn lover, I have not even plugged my dac back into my system in fear I might just be disgusted! Kidding of course :)

Horns are f*cking awesome when done right!

Do you have any suggestions on horns that are done right?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:49 pm 
Premium User

JBL Synthesis, Avantgarde, Simon Mears, hORNS, Casta, Volti. Apparently Odeon are very good but I haven't had the opportunity to hear a pair.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:54 pm 

One thing that has not really been mentioned when talking about horn speaker systems is the difference
between fully horn loaded (KHorn LaScala, Jubilee) vs. ported bass (Cornwall, Altec Model19, JBL Synthesis, Avantgarde, etc).

There definitely is a difference in the bass presentation.
I like both... the extra lower range of my Cornscalas which might play a little lower than even my Jubilees,
and the snapper/quicker sound of a fully horn speaker.

Any thoughts from you other, "horny guys"?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:34 pm 

Hi Edge42, I am very new to the forum, I don't know how to pm you. you and peter are welcome to come over. Maybe Peter can give me some advise for upgrading my la scala too. Actually, my k402 is not on top of klipschorn bass bin. It is on top of my speakerlab K. The klipschorn is by itself in the living room, maybe which make it sound better compare to k402 in a small room with Cornwall as a surround and la scala as centre. Klipschorn is pair with horn sub, which make it go down to 20hz.

Let me know how to pm you with my phone number or you can pm yours to me.

Steven

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:10 am 

cool open baffle to fit the decor
maybe a 15" in combination with a waveguide

G

Attachments:
DSC_2998.jpg
DSC_2998.jpg [ 234.21 KiB | Viewed 381 times ]
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next