Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Overpriced imports
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:46 pm 

europroducts wrote:
My cousin in the UK drives the exact same make, model, and year of car that I drive here in Vancouver. Both cars were manufactured within 10 days of each other in the same factory in Munich (take a stab at the brand) and both were purchased brand new. The manufacturing and distribution of the brand is handled exclusively by the manufacturer in all markets of the world. He paid roughly 30% more for his than than I did (delivered price, before taxes and local contributions). I live 8340 km away from the factory, he lives 1050 km from the factory. Try to explain that.

Bend over grab your ankles take it dry like a champ.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:55 pm 

This will probably only apply to the lager brands but besides shpping and duty the instability of the Canadian dollar affects prices too. Example, manufacturer takes an order from a Canadian imported for a years worth of product with a delivery lead time of say six to eight months, this is done so the manufacturer knows how much product to build and materals/parts needed from outside suppliers saving money on inventory.. with nobody knowing what the dollar will worth when the product is delivered to the dealers there has to be a safety margin built into the price, just in case. This can be 5 to 10 percent

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:30 pm 

Tom_r wrote:
europroducts wrote:
My cousin in the UK drives the exact same make, model, and year of car that I drive here in Vancouver. Both cars were manufactured within 10 days of each other in the same factory in Munich (take a stab at the brand) and both were purchased brand new. The manufacturing and distribution of the brand is handled exclusively by the manufacturer in all markets of the world. He paid roughly 30% more for his than than I did (delivered price, before taxes and local contributions). I live 8340 km away from the factory, he lives 1050 km from the factory. Try to explain that.

Holsten Premium Pilsner $2.10 at the LCBO per 500ml can

Steam Whistle Pilsner $3.00 at the LCBO per 473ml can

I can walk to the LCBO from the Steam Whistle brewery ... The Holsten has traveled many thousands of km's to that same LCBO. :?

A certain amount of that is volume. It takes the same amount of time to brew, ferment and condition 1L as 10,000.

Now, how about that 500ml tin of Corona or Stella for the same $3.00?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:40 pm 
Dealer/Sponsor

Take a look at the 'commonwealth' taxation issues, or lack of them. Most times you can buy used items out of the UK and even Germany (eu, etc) and have them shipped to canada and be rewarded for your efforts.

check for universal transformers on the given piece for voltage changes and bob's yer uncle.

I'll take the stella or the corona first, if I drink any beer at all, that is.

-- 19 Nov 2017 19:43 --

WillyL wrote:
This will probably only apply to the lager brands but besides shpping and duty the instability of the Canadian dollar affects prices too. Example, manufacturer takes an order from a Canadian imported for a years worth of product with a delivery lead time of say six to eight months, this is done so the manufacturer knows how much product to build and materals/parts needed from outside suppliers saving money on inventory.. with nobody knowing what the dollar will worth when the product is delivered to the dealers there has to be a safety margin built into the price, just in case. This can be 5 to 10 percent

Most times higher than 5%, closer to 10-15%. Anything else is courting disaster, in today's volatile markets.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:00 pm 
Premium User

I wonder how much this has to do with a company’s supply chain sophistication. For example, I don’t care if my Naim amp arrived via plane or ship but I do know which is more expensive. Of course, air freight is more advantageous for the company as it takes less time and thus reduces working capital requirements. On the other hand I sympathize with the additional red tape, such as CSA certification that the companies need to deal with. But in the end, high end audio is appealing to a very small segment of society. Any decent sized company needs to be in the international market to be able to grow sales. B&W, Focal, Naim, Audio Note. These companies can’t rely on local markets. So it comes down to the cost of doing business.

I don’t think the companies are trying to gouge us anymore than their local market. It just feels that way. But it probably highlights that buying domestic when possible has a good chance of offering more bang for the buck.

I wonder if Bryston sells amps in the UK and if so, what the price differential is. Simaudio in France?
I am sure it works both ways.

Thank goodness there is a robust used market for gear.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:36 pm 

I always found the price of Accuphase products in North America frustrating compared to prices in Japan, even when accounting for exchange rates.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:06 am 

brownslane wrote:
europroducts wrote:

Let me try. Excise tax in the UK is massive. So is VAT. Protective tarriffs in the UK are there to protect their auto sector (what is left of it). the dealer makes about the same margin per unit in Canada or in the UK. It is all down to taxes (well 90% of it).

-- 19 Nov 2017 22:54 --

-- 19 Nov 2017 22:58 --

In terms of additional cost of imported product like amplifiers or speakers....be sure and factor in the (significant) shipping costs. I bring in Eurocrates every few weeks from Britain. Factoring in the cost of shipping (air), insurance (65 cents per hundred$), brokerage and incidentals (damage, loss, pilferage) my costs of importation run about 26% on average. Add this 26% to the exchange rate, I can see how a 1,000 Pound cost runs to over $2,000 CDN. Easily. And if the price is so low in the UK, what is stopping the OP from buying in the UK and shipping it over on his own? Nothing. People do this every day.

Why the bitching?

Ultra Easy to explain: .........+ 1 ...... Brownslane nailed it!

Add to his take the variable impact of trade and tax treaties and social policy effects on imports, including inter alia, duties and and local taxes. For example there is a HUGE domestic tax levy on all car imports in Denmark as an incentive to take public transit and reduce cars traffic congestion and pollution.

In detail: As part of its 2016 budget, the Danish government reduced the limit for registration tax on new vehicle purchases from 180 to 150 percent. The Local takes a closer look at why buying a car in Denmark is so expensive and what the tax means for motorists

Your $40,000 Honda Civic here in Canada now still costs $100,000 in Denmark after the tax.

Last edited by Gunner on Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:13 am 

James_W wrote:
I don't consider ATC or Dynaudio to be poor value in this market whatsoever. Totem is overpriced for the performance but I have no issue paying more for Canadian made speakers. Made in Canada doesn't automatically translate to best bang for the buck.

I just purchased the ATC SCM19 Actives (due to arrive tomorrow!!) The British pricing is 4990 pounds or $8500 CDN, the US pricing is $9999 and the CDN pricing is $10,500. Given the cost of importing them from Britain, I feel the Canadian pricing is fair. I'm very certain the value for my dollar will be exceptional if everything I've heard about them is true.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:49 am 

acuratl wrote:
James_W wrote:
........ Made in Canada doesn't automatically translate to best bang for the buck.

+ 1..... just one example of the OP in reverse , 'Nuff said.

Totem Rainmakers priced in Canada: $CDN 1,200.00 / pair
Totem Rainmakers priced in UK: £1,199.00 / pair [1 British Pound equals 1.69 Canadian Dollar] = $2,028 CDN / pair

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:19 am 

acuratl wrote:
James_W wrote:
I don't consider ATC or Dynaudio to be poor value in this market whatsoever. Totem is overpriced for the performance but I have no issue paying more for Canadian made speakers. Made in Canada doesn't automatically translate to best bang for the buck.

I just purchased the ATC SCM19 Actives (due to arrive tomorrow!!) The British pricing is 4990 pounds or $8500 CDN, the US pricing is $9999 and the CDN pricing is $10,500. Given the cost of importing them from Britain, I feel the Canadian pricing is fair. I'm very certain the value for my dollar will be exceptional if everything I've heard about them is true.

Exactly right ... the shipping for each speaker alone:

The boxes that protect the 19As are large for what essentially is a 19 litre speaker. There must be at least six inches of packaging around the cabinets and a huge chunk of shock-resistant foam top and bottom. Remove the outer and inner boxes and the protective packaging and a more modest floorstander is revealed, having cabinet dimensions of (HxWxD): 980x370x344mm (spikes add 25mm to height, grill adds 34mm). Weighing in at just over 30kgs.

That must cost a fair chunk of change along with the insurance.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:06 am 

Gunner wrote:
acuratl wrote:
James_W wrote:
........ Made in Canada doesn't automatically translate to best bang for the buck.

+ 1..... just one example of the OP in reverse , 'Nuff said.

Totem Rainmakers priced in Canada: $CDN 1,200.00 / pair
Totem Rainmakers priced in UK: £1,199.00 / pair [1 British Pound equals 1.69 Canadian Dollar] = $2,028 CDN / pair

Interesting. This is consistent with what a salesman told me a few years ago when I was shopping for speakers and was demoing some Totems - that is, Totem sells the same speakers in Europe and Asia at much higher prices than here at home. Why do they do it? Because they can, as people are apparently willing to pay for it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:25 am 

europroducts wrote:

Is it Hyundai ?
:lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:02 pm 

lzp1 wrote:
I always found the price of Accuphase products in North America frustrating compared to prices in Japan, even when accounting for exchange rates.

I love Accuphase. But they sold for more than double here compares to their price in Japan. Make it uncompetitive.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:39 pm 

Robbie California wrote:
acuratl wrote:

Exactly right ... the shipping for each speaker alone:

The boxes that protect the 19As are large for what essentially is a 19 litre speaker. There must be at least six inches of packaging around the cabinets and a huge chunk of shock-resistant foam top and bottom. Remove the outer and inner boxes and the protective packaging and a more modest floorstander is revealed, having cabinet dimensions of (HxWxD): 980x370x344mm (spikes add 25mm to height, grill adds 34mm). Weighing in at just over 30kgs.

That must cost a fair chunk of change along with the insurance.

Wow! That is clearly one expensive speaker enclosure used on the consumer version of the big stand-mount ATC active mini! I recently purchased 5 of the pro audio version, the ATC SCM20ASL Pro MkII. Some were sourced used via the Gearslutz/Reverb used pro audio gear classifieds, the others new from Studio Economik in Montreal. Same amp pack, same S-Spec mid-bass driver, an even better S-spec version of the new in-house ATC tweeter, but in a plain-jane matte black textured rectangular MDF box instead of the SCM19's curvaceous finely finished cabinets. Studio Economik's street price for the pro version was $6600/pr + tax, free freight included and if you buy more than one pair they offered an even better discount from MSRP. Beauty clearly comes with a premium attached to it!

You'll have to pardon the mess- LOL! This was a work in progress pic I took for the acoustician helping to optimize and integrate the new speakers and gear.