Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:00 pm 

Hello, I was wondering if anyone has run Totem speakers with a vintage receiver. I've got a pair of Totem Sttaf's and pair of Dreamcatchers. I think both could use a little more power than I'm currently feeding them and I was curious about using a vintage receiver with them. Has or is anyone here running Totem's with vintage Pioneer or Marantz gear? I was thinking something from either the Pioneer XX80 series or xx50 series since they seem pretty common and affordable. Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:23 pm 

I’ve owned TOTEM ARROs and FORESTS in a prior system (they bracket the STAFFS in the model lineup...) simultaneously so I know the TOTEM signature sound, their strengths, and also their warts very well.
I also owned a MARANTZ 2245 receiver (now considered “vintage”) in my distant audio past with the same experiences respectively

In short, I would never choose to run the TOTEMS with any receiver (other than the top of the line ARCAM AVR that runs north of $8K ) and especially any vintage receiver .

Why not?

Simple:

(1) TOTEMS crave a lot of “grunt” from the amps to permit them to perform at their maximum. That means high-current and high build quality integrated amps or separates. Watts per channel are meaningless. Receivers with their comparative cheap power supplies simply can’t deliver and they get comparatively smoked with the step-down differences in audio performance that are not subtle.

(2) “Vintage” as expressed in audio receivers has their audio nostalgia fan base .... however it just means “old” technology that is easily bested by a tsunami of available brand quality build current era integrated amps that will better marry up in both performance and also in system synergy with your speakers and source ..... full stop

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:36 pm 

Gunner wrote:
I’ve owned TOTEM ARROs and FORESTS in a prior system (they bracket the STAFFS in the model lineup...) simultaneously so I know the TOTEM signature sound, their strengths, and also their warts very well.
I also owned a MARANTZ 2245 receiver (now considered “vintage”) in my distant audio past with the same experiences respectively

In short, I would never choose to run the TOTEMS with any receiver (other than the top of the line ARCAM AVR that runs north of $8K ) and especially any vintage receiver .

Why not?

Simple:

(1) TOTEMS crave a lot of “grunt” from the amps to permit them to perform at their maximum. That means high-current and high build quality integrated amps or separates. Watts per channel are meaningless. Receivers with their comparative cheap power supplies simply can’t deliver and they get comparatively smoked with the step-down differences in audio performance that are not subtle.

(2) “Vintage” as expressed in audio receivers has their audio nostalgia fan base .... however it just means “old” technology that is easily bested by a tsunami of available brand quality build current era integrated amps that will better marry up in both performance and also in system synergy with your speakers and source ..... full stop

I could be wrong but I believe the op is referring to two channel AM/FM stereo Receivers.
That being said, I'm not sure but I think most of those are not rated for four ohm speakers so they still might not be a good idea.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:00 pm 

I set my daughter up with a pair of Sttaf's and a Luxman R405 receiver. I believe the Staff are the easiest of the Totem floor standers to drive at 8ohm and the 55w/ch Luxman meets Totem's 50+ rating for the Sttaf's.
The set up sounded great for her music, which is largely acoustic with a lot of Pink Floyd in there. She was over the moon about the set up so I am happy.
Bottom line is what would please you. Music will play through them with your plan.