Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Tannoy questions
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:49 am 

I’ve been really interested in Tannoy since hearing a pair of huge ones at an amp repair guys house in Vancouver. These were old and had the big cabinets like the current Canterbury.

My question is:
For the prestige line how much are you paying for the fantastic wood finish and detailing and is it possible to get the same sound out of the floor standing models (DC10 for example).

Where is the sweet spot for Tannoy where you get a lot of the house sound at a decent price.

Post subject: Re: Tannoy questions
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:07 am 

This review may help (or not...): https://www.dagogo.com/tannoy-definition-series-dc10t-speaker-review/

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:14 am 

Oh believe me, there are lots of reviews to read but I was hoping to hear from the Tannoy aficionados who have heard them all and can point me in the right direction.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:19 am 
Premium User

ok oops.

Last edited by byefi on Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:31 am 

malthuse wrote:
I’ve been really interested in Tannoy since hearing a pair of huge ones at an amp repair guys house in Vancouver. These were old and had the big cabinets like the current Canterbury.

My question is:
For the prestige line how much are you paying for the fantastic wood finish and detailing and is it possible to get the same sound out of the floor standing models (DC10 for example).

Where is the sweet spot for Tannoy where you get a lot of the house sound at a decent price.

You get what you pay for: the Prestige line is not the same build as their lesser ranges . It's a different premium build animal

Here's a sampler

https://positive-feedback.com/Issue64/tannoy_royal.htm

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:34 am 

Thanks, this is kind of what I’m asking. I guess I wasn’t too clear. I do t have great knowledge on the various iterations and don’t want to tinker building crossovers or making cabinets. I just want to get a good feel for the sound without throwing away huge money to do it. Right now I can pay between $2000 to $18000 for a second hand pair on canuckaudio and local craigslist. This gets me from a pair of old stirlings to the new Canterbury’s including the dc10 and dc8. That a huge range. Will the old stirlings give me almost the same sound as a new pair? Will the dc series be similar as the prestige? Is there a sweet spot for bang for buck?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:56 am 
Premium User

The sonic magic of big Tannoys is due to the 15" dual concentric driver. Many consider the vintage HPD-385 version to be the best sounding, others feel it is the Gold model. Part of the reason the vintage drivers are sought after is they used Alnico magnets, which ceased to be available after 1976 or so. If you buy a set of vintage Berkleys or Ardens mostly you are paying for the driver rather than the cabinet. Tannoy has apparently returned to Alnico magnets in their prestige series in recent years.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:13 am 

The old sterlings use the same driver as these.

Attachments:
1031944-manley-tannoy-ml10-reference-studio-monitors.jpg
1031944-manley-tannoy-ml10-reference-studio-monitors.jpg [ 193.14 KiB | Viewed 486 times ]
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:23 am 

Are they any good?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:34 am 

malthuse wrote:
Oh believe me, there are lots of reviews to read but I was hoping to hear from the Tannoy aficionados who have heard them all and can point me in the right direction.

Yeah, I got that. I posted that review because the reviewer talks about the differences between the "classic" (i.e. older) drivers and Tannoy's newer technology.

The problem with asking "which sounds better", is that it is a very personal experience. I may prefer the older speakers while you may prefer the newer.

Until you listen to both, you'll never know.

FWIW, I've never heard a bad pair of Tannoy's.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:37 am 

malthuse wrote:
Thanks, this is kind of what I’m asking. I guess I wasn’t too clear. I do t have great knowledge on the various iterations and don’t want to tinker building crossovers or making cabinets. I just want to get a good feel for the sound without throwing away huge money to do it. Right now I can pay between $2000 to $18000 for a second hand pair on canuckaudio and local craigslist. This gets me from a pair of old stirlings to the new Canterbury’s including the dc10 and dc8. That a huge range. Will the old stirlings give me almost the same sound as a new pair? Will the dc series be similar as the prestige? Is there a sweet spot for bang for buck?

The PRESTIGE series will handily outperform the DC series by a wide margin in all aspects. There ain't no cheating overlap

The higher up you go in the PRESTIGE line the better the build components AND the more efficient they get in addition to an ever escalating audio performance exponential improvement as you move up the line. ditto for frequency response especially in the lower register.

Lets dissect the Entry level STIRLINGS a bit: It's build quality improves as you step up from the DC line.

The Stirling GR crossover benefits from a widespread component upgrades including highest quality capacitors designed to Tannoy’s exacting specification. The entire crossover board undergoes Deep Cryogenic Treatment, a technique Tannoy developed for the flagship Kingdom Royal project. This improves the crystal structure of not only the components and cabling on the hard-wired crossover-board but throughout the contacts and solder joints leading to a smoother and more natural presentation.

Jumping up to the top-end KINGDOM ROYALES , these are approx £60000 a pair, The entry-level STIRLINGs are £ 4000. Its in the best-of-breed build and audio performance...you get what you pay for as you move up.

I've heard 'em all in the PRESTIGE and DC line ... . There are no "bad" but there are graphic differentiations in build components and resulting audio performance.

The KINGDOM ROYALES are the best I have ever auditioned anywhere. Intuitively they crave top shelf electronics and source in lock step to unlock their top capabilities. Because of that, they (and all PREStIGe ) are Extremely revealing and they will expose all the warts and any cheap compromises upstream

in brief, if someone is looking for any speaker model in the PRESTIGE series speaker to mate up with bargain level or "meh?" upstream components as a vain attempt to correct the latter's limitations and deficiencies ..... think again and look elsewhere . As a premium offering, they are system dependent .

The optimum "sweet spot" in the PRESTIGE series, -- IMO-- is the WESTMINSTER model.They are about half the price of the KINGDOM ROYALES and not that far short from reaching OZ.

The STIRLINGS

PERFORMANCE
Recommended amplifier power 20 -170 Watts
Continuous power handling 85 Watts RMS
Peak power handling 340 watt
Sensitivity 91dB (2.83 Volts @1 metre)
Nominal impedance 8 Ohms
Minimum Impedance 5 ohm
Frequency Response 39 Hz - 46 kHz (-6 dB)
Dispersion 90 degrees conical

The KINGDOM ROYALES

Recommended Amplifier Power 20 to 600 watt RMS per channel
Power Rating 300 watt RMS
1200 watt peak
Maximum SPL 120dB at 1 metre for 300 watt RMS
126dB at 1 metre for 1200 watt peak
Total Harmonic Distortion Less than 1% at 300 watt RMS (50Hz to 20kHz)
Sensitivity 96dB for 2.83 volt at 1 metre
Nominal Impedance 8 Ohms
Dispersion 90 degree conical
Frequency Response 24Hz - 61kHz (-6dB)
Crossover Frequencies 120Hz bass to Dual Concentric™ midrange

PS

I have the Revolution DC6 in my "B" system.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:08 am 
Premium User

If you want that intoxicating Tannoy sound stick to the Prestige line. With a budget up to 18k you won't have any issues finding something. Turnberry and Stirling would be an affordable entry point with the next logical step up being Kensington or similar. To echo electrafixion's comments going vintage and looking for specific drivers is worth the extra research.

Certain DC series models are great but the presentation is quite different.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:28 am 

Excellent thanks guys. This is kind of what I was expecting but needed some confirmation. Going old is a risk for me as I’m not that well versed so I’ll likely go for newer prestige line either Turnberry or Kensington. Anything more is getting real big and expensive for me.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:51 am 

malthuse wrote:
Excellent thanks guys. This is kind of what I was expecting but needed some confirmation. Going old is a risk for me as I’m not that well versed so I’ll likely go for newer prestige line either Turnberry or Kensington. Anything more is getting real big and expensive for me.

Note that the alnico magnets are only present in the Kensingtons or higher speakers NOT the Turnberrys or Stirlings. However, I own the Turnberrys and I am very satisfied with them. Based on my research if I was going to upgrade my Turmberrys, I would be going for the Canterbury. I feel that is the best bang for the buck in the upper end of the GR series while the Turnberrys are the best bang for the buck in the lower range of the GR series.

Last edited by audioroom on Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:10 pm 

Aha! This is why I love the cam, you get the skinny pretty quick. This is awesome info. I think I might follow your route, go Turnberry, assess the sound and then move on up if I approve...