Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:56 am 

hi, anybody here whos heard or owns a pair want to chime in how they feel?
i suppose if no one has, general harbeth discussion would be welcome as well :D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:51 am 

Haven’t heard the m30.2 but I owned the m30.1. I doubt they are much different. They are ok speakers but nothing very interesting to my ears. You would need to sit quite close to them otherwise they’ll sound flat. Around 5-6’ seems to be the recommendation from other cammers.

-- 04 Jul 2018 13:56 --

Oh...and if I were you and you want some Harbeths then the shl5+ is a great set of speakers.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:31 am 

Have you had the opportunity to check them out at Planet of Sound in Toronto?

I've not heard the 30.2 but the 30.1's are one of my all time favourite speakers. Properly set up they are astonishing. Having said that, there area some limitations imposed by their size. For larger rooms the Super HL5+ or the Monitor 40.2's are a better choice.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:10 am 

I heard them at a show side by side with 40.2 and I preferred the sound of 30.2 much better because of clarity and overall impact. The 40.2s had too much bass which masked (mudded???) the mid-range. I also heard the 40.2s at Planet of Sound and also did not like their presentation. But that was probably affected by a huge room where they audition their equipment. I think Harbeth speakers sound much better in smaller spaces. Good luck.

Rega RP6 + Dynavector 10x5 > Simaudio Moon Neo 310LP

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:20 am 

So, I own the 30.1's and am very satisfied with them. I have heard the 30.2's at the Montreal Audio Fest and to me, they are consistent with what I've come to love about the 30.1's - a near perfect mid range and a very non fatiguing upper end that results in a speaker that to my ears at least, gets the music right. A direct A/B comparison between the two would be an interesting exercise.

Can these do everything? Of course not. I've supplemented the bottom end of my 30.1's with two REL T7i subs which mate very well with the Harbeths in my room.

The big question is whether the price difference of $2300 is worth your while ($4699 vs $6999)....different binding posts, internal wiring, and different capacitors. If it were me, I'd grab a set of 30.1's and either save the $$$ or spend the difference on other audio upgrades (e.g., subs)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:27 am 

ckennedy wrote:
So, I own the 30.1's and am very satisfied with them. I have heard the 30.2's at the Montreal Audio Fest and to me, they are consistent with what I've come to love about the 30.1's - a near perfect mid range and a very non fatiguing upper end that results in a speaker that to my ears at least, gets the music right. A direct A/B comparison between the two would be an interesting exercise.

Can these do everything? Of course not. I've supplemented the bottom end of my 30.1's with two REL T7i subs which mate very well with the Harbeths in my room.

The big question is whether the price difference of $2300 is worth your while ($4699 vs $6999)....different binding posts, internal wiring, and different capacitors. If it were me, I'd grab a set of 30.1's and either save the $$$ or spend the difference on other audio upgrades (e.g., subs)

This is interesting. I have the 30.1's as well and I've never considered matching them to subs. Was it hard to get a satisfying balance ? I guess you have a large room to fill.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:37 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

When we sold Harbeth we also found that we liked a pair of 30.1's with a pair of Rel's over the 40.1's. Better imaging , deeper soundstage and a much tighter bottom end. If thinking about the SHL5+ you sould have a listen to the Spendor D7's. Take up less room and a better looking speaker for approx. the same money as the 5's with stands. The Graham LS5/9's should also be on your list.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:36 pm 

fyi, I just placed deposit (more like, paid in full...) for a pair of 30.2 from planetofsound just this very morning.

I see no need to change anything in my system so I decided to splurge for the 30.2. the only problem is the 12 week wait time :(

oh well. the plan is to upgrade to coincident pure reference extreme in ~2 years time, and I am fairly certain I will be able to fetch 60-70% of the price I paid when it comes time to sell. not that resale factor has much to do with my choice to get the 30.2 over the 30.1, but it's nice to have that option.

anyways, I'm extremely excited to get them.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:05 pm 

Hopefully this isn't too off topic but has anyone tried using the HL5plus with a hicapped Naim XS2? Would the 70wpc power them sufficiently?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:48 pm 

RobotRock wrote:
Hopefully this isn't too off topic but has anyone tried using the HL5plus with a hicapped Naim XS2? Would the 70wpc power them sufficiently?

hi there i would imagine the naim would sound very polite with the hl5plus, and would sound lackluster compared to something with double that power. at least your amp doesnt have to have massive power reserves to sound good with the hl5plus, as like the 30.1, it has a easy impedance load. i think your naim will be excellent with it but i do believe if you had 150w as opposed to 70w, you would prefer the sound! i think you'd be pushing your naim during peaks, with little headroom

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:39 pm 

iriszizka wrote:
fyi, I just placed deposit (more like, paid in full...) for a pair of 30.2 from planetofsound just this very morning.

I see no need to change anything in my system so I decided to splurge for the 30.2. the only problem is the 12 week wait time :(

oh well. the plan is to upgrade to coincident pure reference extreme in ~2 years time, and I am fairly certain I will be able to fetch 60-70% of the price I paid when it comes time to sell. not that resale factor has much to do with my choice to get the 30.2 over the 30.1, but it's nice to have that option.

anyways, I'm extremely excited to get them.

Congratulations! Those will be 12 long weeks.... :D ....but I am sure it will be well worth the wait.