Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 322 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22  Next
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:07 pm 

So a few people on this forum have wisely made the suggestion and I've listened... upgrading my good standmount speakers to something better will make the most dramatic impact in my system.

I go to the symphony often and that has inspired me to rethink my speaker situation and look at larger floorstanders, I just don't think standmounts can reproduce the amazing dynamics and huge soundstage of an orchestral performance... it really is stunning in person going from whisper quiet to a full 100db+ onslaught with every instrument on stage. I want to get closer to that! Which makes me think I need bigger speakers with more dynamic range.

Currently I have:

Usher N6300's - awesome, large standmount that digs deep with lots of headroom but not quite there
Kef LS50's - everyone knows and loves these; revealing, image incredibly and just do everything well except for dynamics being such a tiny box
LSA Monitor 1's - surprisingly awesome speakers, very balanced overall and remind me of BBC type speakers as their strengths are similar but with better bass extension
Wharfedale Denton 80th Anniversary - beautiful, tiny boxes with suprising bass extension and a very smooth, refined sound

Driven by Yamaha A-S2000 integrated amp, with Marantz SA8001 SACD/CD and Technics ST-C700 network player.

My room is 21'x12'x8' with an 8' opening on one side and a 3' open walkway at the back of the room. The other side of the room is 21' of floor to ceiling windows. Cork floors, soft furniture, large rug and pillows in the room as well as plaster textured walls and wood-paneled ceiling (mid-century home). Speakers are currently on a back wall about 7' apart and I sit roughly 9' away.

Any suggestions? Initial thoughts are high sensitivity floorstanders with larger woofers, maybe horns. Or something like Klipsch RF-7 III's or Heresy III's on subwoofers as stands, maybe SVS Ultra towers.

Not even sure where to start looking. I'll sell off my current collection of speakers and add a bit to the pool and could comfortably spend $3-$5k, new or used.

I realize the timbral accuracy of classical music is one challenge but many standmount speakers can do that well, it's the rest of the package - the huge soundstage, strong imaging and full dynamic range to go from whisper quiet to full punch-you-in-the-face orchestra. If they can do this well they will more than satisfy my jazz, vocal and rock needs.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:30 pm 

Sounds like LARGE Klipsch'es to me!

La Scalas?

definitely nothing on the smallish side.

Good hunting, and I'm sure others will chime in.

del Sol

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:50 pm 

magnepan 3.7i

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:56 pm 

I am biased towards Magnepan speakers as I own a pair. However, I have heard good things from Klipsch Hershey owners and Magnepan owners in regards to classical music on their speakers. I would recommend the Magnepan 3.7i's personally. For that price there is NOTHING that will give you anywhere close to the size of soundstage and dynamics the maggies can produce. However, magnepan speakers aren't for everyone. The common complaint is that they lack huge bass. I'd recommend trying to audition a pair. If the 3.7i's are too big try out the 1.7i's. Other options would be Martin Logan electrostatics.

iFi iSilencer3.0->Wireworld SilverStarlight USB->iFi iPurifier2->NuWave DSD->Audio Sensibility Statement SE XLR->Pass Labs XP-12->Audio Sensibility Statement SE XLR->Pass Labs xa30.8->Wireworld Equinox7->Tannoy Precision 6.2LE

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:00 pm 
Premium User

edge42 wrote:
I realize the timbral accuracy of classical music is one challenge but many standmount speakers can do that well, it's the rest of the package - the huge soundstage, strong imaging and full dynamic range to go from whisper quiet to full punch-you-in-the-face orchestra. If they can do this well they will more than satisfy my jazz, vocal and rock needs.

Tekton Double Impacts or Spatial Audio M3 Turbo. I'd stick to high or fairly high efficiency speakers with 10 inch or larger paper woofers unless you can find a nice line array. The dynamics on my main speakers with 4 x 8 inch nomex/kevlar woofers per unit is pretty intense so there are some exceptions.

If you want a traditional speaker with different driver materials from a big company check out Focal Aria 948, Revel Performa3 F208, Bryston Model T, ELAC Adante AF-61, B&W 802N.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:08 pm 

Focal Electra 1028 Be...used around 5k.

Regards
Ohms

www.leohl.ca

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:27 pm 

Magnepan 1.6,1.7,3.7.

I listen a lot to large symphonic pieces, Beethoven, Schubert, and a huge amount of the major Bach choral pieces. So far I have not found anything that can convey the scale of these pieces beyond magnepan. Likely some of the large electrostatics do that as well but they are much more expensive.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:59 pm 

look for Tannoy Ardens , Westminsters or Prestige lines. They are very well received for filling the room. Your amp will not have any issues in powering them . Recommend putting them in for an audtition.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:42 pm 

edge42 wrote:
So a few people on this forum have wisely made the suggestion and I've listened... upgrading my good standmount speakers to something better will make the most dramatic impact in my system.

I go to the symphony often and that has inspired me to rethink my speaker situation and look at larger floorstanders, I just don't think standmounts can reproduce the amazing dynamics and huge soundstage of an orchestral performance... it really is stunning in person going from whisper quiet to a full 100db+ onslaught with every instrument on stage. I want to get closer to that! Which makes me think I need bigger speakers with more dynamic range.

Currently I have:

Usher N6300's - awesome, large standmount that digs deep with lots of headroom but not quite there
Kef LS50's - everyone knows and loves these; revealing, image incredibly and just do everything well except for dynamics being such a tiny box
LSA Monitor 1's - surprisingly awesome speakers, very balanced overall and remind me of BBC type speakers as their strengths are similar but with better bass extension
Wharfedale Denton 80th Anniversary - beautiful, tiny boxes with suprising bass extension and a very smooth, refined sound

Driven by Yamaha A-S2000 integrated amp, with Marantz SA8001 SACD/CD and Technics ST-C700 network player.

My room is 21'x12'x8' with an 8' opening on one side and a 3' open walkway at the back of the room. The other side of the room is 21' of floor to ceiling windows. Cork floors, soft furniture, large rug and pillows in the room as well as plaster textured walls and wood-paneled ceiling (mid-century home). Speakers are currently on a back wall about 7' apart and I sit roughly 9' away.

Any suggestions? Initial thoughts are high sensitivity floorstanders with larger woofers, maybe horns. Or something like Klipsch RF-7 III's or Heresy III's on subwoofers as stands, maybe SVS Ultra towers.

Not even sure where to start looking. I'll sell off my current collection of speakers and add a bit to the pool and could comfortably spend $3-$5k, new or used.

I have been happy with both a pair of ProAc 140s, and my present Sonus Faber Concertos; I just skimmed your post, and so I would ask, about your amplilification and sources. Sorry ... make pork schnitzel hash browns and red cabbage before attending a victoria conservatory of music fund raiser -- you would have been most welcome, cheers Simon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:29 pm 

I am not in the same league, but I was looking for a detailed presentation and to be able to feel the orchestra forte. My final choice was between Vienna Acoustics Beethoven and Elac FS 247. Elac won. Most likely in your larger room a higher model will perform even better. My other set is the Infinity Renaissance 90 and I prefer them for jazz. For amplification I use Yamaha a-s 801 for the Elac and Pioneer Elite M-72 for Infinity.
HTH, Michael

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:33 pm 

concerto wrote:
edge42 wrote:

Currently I have:

I have been happy with both a pair of ProAc 140s, and my present Sonus Faber Concertos; I just skimmed your post, and so I would ask, about your amplilification and sources. Sorry ... make pork schnitzel hash browns and red cabbage before attending a victoria conservatory of music fund raiser -- you would have been most welcome, cheers Simon

No one advocates Sonus Faber - a reasonably priced pair of Liuto floorstanders is on CAM

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:36 pm 

Harbeth M40.2 The entire orchestra is now in your home.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:39 pm 
Premium User

Gerhard Roemer wrote:
Harbeth M40.2 The entire orchestra is now in your home.

Let me know where they can be found in the OP's $3-$5k budget and I'll buy a few pairs!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:22 pm 

concerto wrote:
concerto wrote:
edge42 wrote:

Currently I have:

No one advocates Sonus Faber - a reasonably priced pair of Liuto floorstanders is on CAM

Sf makes great speakers but they won’t do the scale the op is looking for. I owned the Cremona ms. Beautiful but they don’t have the scale.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:10 pm 

For orchestral music, the best choice to mate with your amp would be Yamaha NS-1000's:
http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649407475-yamaha-ns1000m-speakers/

The NS-1000's are incredibly revealing, which means you can't just run them from any amp. They do sound very nice with Yamaha amps, however. I ran a pair in the late 70's with a 30 Watt (Class A) Yamaha integrated. Friends didn't believe me when I told them the amp was only 30 W.

If you had more power, I'd also recommend Martin Logan Spire or Montis, but those go down to 1Ω, so your current amp wouldn't be a good fit. But ML's really shine with large orchestral recordings.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 322 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22  Next