Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:49 pm 

Hey guys, I'm using A-S1100 driving Sky bookshelf speakers.
To me the sound is balanced, good control tight bass not overdone, amazing mids and vocals.
Also have B&W CM1, most times used with another system in another room.
The A-S1100 brings a lot of life to the CM1.
They are very different sounding have more full sounding bass meaning more quantity, not certain about about bass quality.
I do without doubt prefer the quality of the clear sounding sky.
I don't use the Totems with the home theatre receiver.

I think Totem design and performance is based on and very dependent on placement being near a wall. I have also seen them sitting along a wall in advertisements. Displayed at at TAVES 2017 along a wall.
Although image improves when placed further away the back of sky's are 8" in front of the wall. At 24" they would be better with a sub.
Back of sofa is positioned away from back wall about 8" space.

I am not unhappy with the sound and at times I think my equipment does set a limit to the performance of the Sky, it is easy to believe 300watts high cost quality electronics will give me a happier listening experience. Considering budget, my room, and remainder of gear I just would never go there.

Tweaking room setup, choosing better quality recordings and not playing those that I know sound ugly, using a better integrated that costs more than 4 times the receiver, and accepting that 5" drivers will not rattle the house all makes me feel I like the Totems rather than making me think I want to like them.
I am happy with my Totems in my small room.....for now.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:18 pm 

Hi Nick. Great post and very nice amp - I am a fan of the 1100.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:21 pm 

nickthecanuck wrote:
Hey guys, I'm using A-S1100 driving Sky bookshelf speakers.
To me the sound is balanced, good control tight bass not overdone, amazing mids and vocals.
Also have B&W CM1, most times used with another system in another room.
The A-S1100 brings a lot of life to the CM1.
They are very different sounding have more full sounding bass meaning more quantity, not certain about about bass quality.
I do without doubt prefer the quality of the clear sounding sky.
I don't use the Totems with the home theatre receiver.

I think Totem design and performance is based on and very dependent on placement being near a wall. I have also seen them sitting along a wall in advertisements. Displayed at at TAVES 2017 along a wall.
Although image improves when placed further away the back of sky's are 8" in front of the wall. At 24" they would be better with a sub.
Back of sofa is positioned away from back wall about 8" space.

I am not unhappy with the sound and at times I think my equipment does set a limit to the performance of the Sky, it is easy to believe 300watts high cost quality electronics will give me a happier listening experience. Considering budget, my room, and remainder of gear I just would never go there.

Tweaking room setup, choosing better quality recordings and not playing those that I know sound ugly, using a better integrated that costs more than 4 times the receiver, and accepting that 5" drivers will not rattle the house all makes me feel I like the Totems rather than making me think I want to like them.
I am happy with my Totems in my small room.....for now.

the sky will take about 100 watt, so don t have to go overboard on power just feed them clean juice. was driving my morel with a DR2 (25 watt) and also my dual 75 A (75 tube watt) and they where very happy.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:38 pm 

Whenever I read these, "I heard [insert speaker]" reviews without all the other bits, I wish they included all the equipment and exact pressing details of the music they were listening too. All contribute to enjoyment of speakers.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:59 am 

Floyd wrote:
To Allgo - How did the Sonus Faber's sound in your other room?

Answered by PM.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:55 am 

Hey Allsho, Sorry for the dropout.

How has your exploration gone? Did you swap things around or measure things to the point you have an answer?
What was your conclusion?

(I must have closure...)

(also, i see you are in waverly and use a racing themed handle. Do you dabble in the motorsports?)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:52 am 

Sky for me are great for the size. And they're well priced too. Canadian for easy servicing on top of it all. To me it all adds up. The synergy of components might have not been optimal at that time. I used them with transparent cables and solid state. I Would give that combo a try ; )

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:36 pm 

phowell1 wrote:
Hey Allsho, Sorry for the dropout.

How has your exploration gone? Did you swap things around or measure things to the point you have an answer?
What was your conclusion?

(I must have closure...)

(also, i see you are in waverly and use a racing themed handle. Do you dabble in the motorsports?)

I have not swapped any of my own gear around to further evaluate my existing Yamaha or the Bronze 6 speakers, I have not had time and other than being interesting, will serve no purpose as I am keeping the Yamaha for the foreseeable future.
The Yamaha has the connectivity I need and I run my outdoor speakers from the "B" terminals.
As well, I can control it from my phone, outdoors, with Musicast.

I went back to the dealer for another listen to the Skys and added a demo pair of PSB Image T's to the line up.
To my ear , the PSB's are the best of the lot and I will pick them up for a in home audition some time this week.

The Yamaha in the demo room is the AS2100s, which is one model up from what I stated in the earlier post.

I am sure the Skys have their place, but are not for me at this time.

This thread got a little sideways, due to my rushed and poorly worded replies to informed and
well intended posts from cammers, and I apologize for that.

So, I'll let you know if the Psb's are keepers.

i'll send a pm on the automotive stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:21 am 

Interestingly, for anyone considering Totem Sky Towers, they actually continue to break in after 300+ hours. Now at 400-500 hours of play, all of the sudden late last week, the bass coming from these little guys has taken on new form. Their overall presentation is smoother, while maintaining almost all of the speed of the stand mount Sky.

My initial impression that just the 1" silk dome tweet needed excessive burn in was a little off - as both the tweeter and driver take a little longer to open up fully.

I think they now are a very interesting option for smaller spaces that cannot usually withstand the sub 40hz range. They remain tolerant to very close back wall placement as well.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:08 am 

Adriankn wrote:
Interestingly, for anyone considering Totem Sky Towers, they actually continue to break in after 300+ hours. Now at 400-500 hours of play, all of the sudden late last week, the bass coming from these little guys has taken on new form.

Break in periods becoming longer than the return policy. (;

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:50 am 

Yeah, it’s getting goofy.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:16 am 

Old thread, But I ended up with M/A Silver 300 floorstanders which I am very happy with...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:48 pm 
Premium User

Not sure where to post this but it's not worth starting a new thread...

After spending the last week with Sky bookshelf speakers on Pass gear I have a much greater respect for them compared to listening sessions at my old workplace.

Considering the small size and low retail price it could be their best product to date. I don't recall enjoying a little bookshelf speaker under $2k this much. Totem should stick with the classic style speakers using 3rd party woofers and tweeters, sometimes they get it just right. The Sky has an old meets new quality to them that works well and makes for enjoyable listening with all genres. Hopefully there will be more speakers like this in the future.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:38 pm 

allgonoshow wrote:
I have been looking for a while to replace the Monitor Audio Bronze 6 floor standers in my every day
room. They are just plain dull in their presentation and not what I hoped for at all.

The room is my great room, living room, kitchen, nook, dining room, open plan.
My amp is a Yamaha rn602 2 channel receiver.
https://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio_v ... index.html

This is for everyday TV, radio, cd, Radio Paradise etc, not critical listening.

So, Totem products are so well reviewed and regarded, I thought that's where I would venture.

My local dealer now has limited stock on Totem and the Sky was what I thought I might end up with.

I have auditioned them twice in their treated room with a high end Yamaha integrated, forget the model, like 3k retail. Both the b/shelves and floor standers.
They may be a little short on break in time, guy told be 50-60 hours each.

I listened in a room with numerous speakers in the same price range, 1500-3000.

B&W, Bryston, Psb, M/Audio, a few others .

The Totem's utterly disappointed, both the b/shelves and floor models, which stood side by side.
Absolutely not even close. Just sip, there was a pair of Rainmakers next to the Sky's and they sounded decent.

This months Absolute Sound has the Sky on a cover headline and a very glowing review.
The Sky is presented as a model easier to drive that some of the earlier offerings.

What is the intended room for these speakers, granted they may be a little small for my room, but they were compared to the others in a modest, treated room, maybe 20x 14.

So, what am I missing, I am not being sarcastic, asking a real question.
Surely a few more hours of break in would not transform this product.

Waddup...

Lol. It's what Totem's missing -engineering chops ! (Great TAS review= B/S -advert revenue likely)

The Totem loudspeakers in all honesty are laughable; you can do much better; consider Finial (new brand), Q-Concept (name correct ? I'm not sure), LSA Audio '0.5's' (Stand-mount -if still made), KEF, Elac 'Adante-Line'. All these will blow-away (i.e. greatly outperform) any Totem's. ANY.

pj
P.S. Good 'ears' !

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:45 pm 
Premium User

allhifi wrote:
The Totem loudspeakers in all honesty are laughable; you can do much better; consider Finial (new brand), Q-Concept (name correct ? I'm not sure), LSA Audio '0.5's' (Stand-mount -if still made), KEF, Elac 'Adante-Line'. All these will blow-away (i.e. greatly outperform) any Totem's. ANY.

pj

:roll:

My last bookshelf speakers were the Adante AS-61, used to sell the Q-Acoustics concept line, just finished head to head comparisons with the KEF LS50 and Sky. The Totems were quite a bit better than the KEF and are not embarrassed by the more expensive Adante AS-61, they are in a different league than the Concept 20's. Your comparisons don't make much sense to me and are likely baseless.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=49405

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/forum/do ... &mode=view

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next