Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:26 am 

malthuse wrote:
....just to feed the fire, I’ve never been so dissapointed in a pair of speakers as the totem fires. They sounded downright weird to me.

Would be interested in further thoughts. I heard them, and Ember, at a dealer, and was actually pleased. He had the Fire in an analogue setup with tube electronics and Ember driven by small Peachtree. Fire sounded very refined with great detail and soundstage. So interestingly different from your experience, but I'd like to learn your point of view. One thing at the dealer though, Fire were literally in the middle of the listening room, probably 6-8 ft from any wall, which I have no way of recreating at home.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:12 am 
Premium User

malthuse wrote:
....just to feed the fire, I’ve never been so dissapointed in a pair of speakers as the totem fires. They sounded downright weird to me.

Curious to know what weird sounded like to you.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:21 am 

It’s hard to describe after a few weeks but they just didn’t gel. I found the bass in particular to be very undefined compared to my other speakers. A good pair of speakers should effortlessly present the music in a way that you forget you’re listening to speakers. I was always aware of the fires. I’m not one to like the kind of mid rich “musical” speakers but the lack of musicality was what I had a problem with, I just didn’t enjoy music with them. I was able to do a/b tests with other speakers at the time of similar and lesser cost. It might also be because I listen mostly to classical, they might be better suited to modern music.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:38 am 

KJT1 wrote:
malthuse wrote:
The Adante is for me one of the best speakers I’ve ever heard. I’ve only dabbled in the lower end of hifi though. They are absolutely outstanding at what I cherish most, soundstaging and imaging. Tonally they also do very well. Throw into the mix the bass substance and clarity and they downright destroy the element fires. Same rooms. Same setups. Same music. Same ears. Same brain.

You should get that checked. :lol: :wink: :mrgreen:

Well I get my hearing checked annually and it’s perfect. No need to check the brain, I know it’s broken. At least I don’t have your affliction which according to your tag apparently is incurable. Im so terribly sorry for you.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:57 am 

malthuse wrote:
KJT1 wrote:
malthuse wrote:
The Adante is for me one of the best speakers I’ve ever heard. I’ve only dabbled in the lower end of hifi though. They are absolutely outstanding at what I cherish most, soundstaging and imaging. Tonally they also do very well. Throw into the mix the bass substance and clarity and they downright destroy the element fires. Same rooms. Same setups. Same music. Same ears. Same brain.

You should get that checked. :lol: :wink: :mrgreen:

Well I get my hearing checked annually and it’s perfect. No need to check the brain, I know it’s broken. At least I don’t have your affliction which according to your tag apparently is incurable. Im so terribly sorry for you.

Well, that's just mean whereas mine was typed in humour. :cry:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:38 am 

Don’t take it personally, just a little friendly ribbing and I have a different sense of humour, it usually requires being in the same room.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:01 am 

malthuse wrote:
Don’t take it personally, just a little friendly ribbing and I have a different sense of humour, it usually requires being in the same room.

Figured as much, BUT I'm still sad. :( :( :) :mrgreen:
Still can't figure out your reaction to the Fires though. I find them tight, fast and very musical. For me they are miles ahead of the Harbeth SHL5's I had and almost as good as the ATC's I have now.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:52 pm 

Im reading your forum letter with great interest, First not everyone,s ears are the same,,,we dont all hear the same thing.Speakers in what ever form,can deliver diifferent sounds using different amps.preamps,etc...if your speakers dont match your amp,,they won,t sound very good,,muffled,,,and dull.
Here,s a good example i bought a set of PSB STRATUS SILVER I , that the fella i bought em off ,said they sounded dull and boring. So he sold them to me for 200 bucks, of course i grabbed them without hesitation. I hooked them up to a small Creek 4330 intergrated Amp,and sounded fine..not great but fine,,,this is a lower powered amp.

I than took the same speakers hooked them up to a pair of Sim Audio Celeste Amps, which are mono blocked,,,and the sound thT COMES OUT OF THESE SPEAKERS IS REMARKABLE. So i called the dude i bought them from,,asked him to come over and have a listen,,,he was floored....he asked me why they sounded so bad on his system ...i quickly stated that these speakers need high power to drive them,,,and clean power....its no secret,,, great speakers need great amps,,and preamps to shine,,,,the speaker wire helps as well.....ive listened to Totems on many occasion ,and fine them to be warm,,beautiful sounding,,,,but they were all being used in higher power systems,,,,there are more examples i could give,,,but a high current amp is the way to go if you want your speakers to shine,,,,,

Ohh they sound so sweet

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:16 pm 

KJT1 wrote:
malthuse wrote:

Figured as much, BUT I'm still sad. :( :( :) :mrgreen:
Still can't figure out your reaction to the Fires though. I find them tight, fast and very musical. For me they are miles ahead of the Harbeth SHL5's I had and almost as good as the ATC's I have now.

Just goes to show each to his own tastes. I loved the SHL5+, amazing speakers. I still fondly think back and wonder if I shouldn’t have kept them. Considering the massive loss I took on the fires I look back and cringe.

-- 19 Apr 2018 22:18 --

a-work-of-art wrote:
Im reading your forum letter with great interest, First not everyone,s ears are the same,,,we dont all hear the same thing.Speakers in what ever form,can deliver diifferent sounds using different amps.preamps,etc...if your speakers dont match your amp,,they won,t sound very good,,muffled,,,and dull.
Here,s a good example i bought a set of PSB STRATUS SILVER I , that the fella i bought em off ,said they sounded dull and boring. So he sold them to me for 200 bucks, of course i grabbed them without hesitation. I hooked them up to a small Creek 4330 intergrated Amp,and sounded fine..not great but fine,,,this is a lower powered amp.

I than took the same speakers hooked them up to a pair of Sim Audio Celeste Amps, which are mono blocked,,,and the sound thT COMES OUT OF THESE SPEAKERS IS REMARKABLE. So i called the dude i bought them from,,asked him to come over and have a listen,,,he was floored....he asked me why they sounded so bad on his system ...i quickly stated that these speakers need high power to drive them,,,and clean power....its no secret,,, great speakers need great amps,,and preamps to shine,,,,the speaker wire helps as well.....ive listened to Totems on many occasion ,and fine them to be warm,,beautiful sounding,,,,but they were all being used in higher power systems,,,,there are more examples i could give,,,but a high current amp is the way to go if you want your speakers to shine,,,,,

Ohh they sound so sweet

I powered them with 500 wpc that doubles into 4 ohms and is stable at 2. Loads of current there if needed.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11