Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:52 am 

viclauyyc wrote:
The shaker make you shake, but it does not to make your feel the pressure in your gut.

There's a saying in Jamaica... "Di wise monkey know wha tree fi clime," typically means to pick your battles.

You aren't going to win this battle. You require a Sound Pressure Level at bass frequencies that is too high to not disturb your wife. Your desired outcomes are contraindicated. Decoupling the subwoofers from the floor might help, but you still have to pressurize the room too feel the bump in your gut and often that comes from frequencies higher than the sub-bass region.

The wise monkey will know that for your scenario the tree that bears the fruit of matrimonial bliss has its roots in soundproofing. Contact a local soundproofing expert since you won't DIY. Here's the first Google hit, but certainly contact more outfits.

http://www.dryco.ca/sound-proofing/soun ... r-home.htm

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:47 am 

del Sol wrote:
If you ever want to see her naked again.............TURN OFF THE SUB!

del Sol

RIGHT ON!
This thread is among the most ridiculous ever on this site.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:36 am 

install anti vibration cones on the bed posts..thus eliminating the low frequency shakes ...and play some anti noise music in the bedroom to counter act the rest of the noise transfer.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:16 am 

xr4ti wrote:
del Sol wrote:

del Sol

RIGHT ON!
This thread is among the most ridiculous ever on this site.

I'm starting to wonder if it was even meant as a serious thread, but may instead be another of those 'parody' threads that have been showing up here lately. It's hard to tell at times.... :?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:04 pm 

viclauyyc wrote:
Is there a way to lower the bass and still keep the punch?

In a word: No.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:22 pm 

NordicNorm wrote:
viclauyyc wrote:

I disagree Norm. It ain't easy or cheap, but there definitely IS a way.

Just build a totally soundproofed room within a room for your HT setup. The inner room is acoustically treated and soundproofed and has its own independant air supply and is seismically isolated from the exterior anechoic chamber. Granted, the external anechoic chamber has to be at least large enough to house the treated inner room plus enough clearance on each side, top and bottom to accomodate the half wavelength of the lowest bass note that your subwoofer is capable of reproducing. Your average aircraft hangar should easily accomodate those requirements.

Now, if the question had contained the words easy or cheap, then i agree with your NO resoundingly! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:29 pm 

NordicNorm wrote:
viclauyyc wrote:

You can have your punch without the bass.....

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:40 pm 

OBI56 wrote:
NordicNorm wrote:
viclauyyc wrote:

I disagree Norm. It ain't easy or cheap, but there definitely IS a way.

Just build a totally soundproofed room within a room for your HT setup. The inner room is acoustically treated and soundproofed and has its own independant air supply and is seismically isolated from the exterior anechoic chamber. Granted, the external anechoic chamber has to be at least large enough to house the treated inner room plus enough clearance on each side, top and bottom to accomodate the half wavelength of the lowest bass note that your subwoofer is capable of reproducing. Your average aircraft hangar should easily accomodate those requirements.

Now, if the question had contained the words easy or cheap, then i agree with your NO resoundingly! :mrgreen:

OK, ya got me there Obi! :oops:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:46 pm 

NP Norm, its just that cheap or easy are usually implied here on CAM with most user inquiries where most of us older and more experienced users tend to forget that. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:57 pm 

Do you guys think it will work for my setup?

Clark Synthesis Tactile Sound Transducers? http://clarksynthesis.com/clark-synthes ... ansducers/

Or is it just another shaker?

-- 17 Jun 2016 22:02 --

Philosophil wrote:
It sounds like you want to feel sub bass levels below 60hz. The problem is that these kinds of low frequency pressure waves like to travel, and will typically travel much farther than higher frequencies.

Isn't it the high frequency travel further? Like the speaker in public area?

-- 17 Jun 2016 22:05 --

brf wrote:
Replace the sub with a sub that contains different listening modes, including night mode, that you can tailor the sound by the use of a built in parametric EQ with an infinitely adjustable low pass filter.

My sub don't have the EQ. Also, I like to hear it raw. Just not a big fan of processed sound.

-- 17 Jun 2016 22:11 --

tboe77 wrote:
If you run the Audyssey set-up once, and the distances don't look right, I would run it again. However, if you've run it multiple times, and the distances are coming out about the same every time, then I would say that Audyssey is doing what it is supposed to do, and you should go with it.

Noted.

I actually bought a laser distance measurer for this job. So no need to use the exact measurement?

-- 17 Jun 2016 22:12 --

xr4ti wrote:
You should have gotten a pre-nup

Too late. I am doomed.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:15 pm 

RafL wrote:

Perhaps you might experiment with a Mid Bass Module, something like what HSU Research offers.

HSU stopped to make it. Also, no other company is make MBM. Only couple DIY project.

-- 17 Jun 2016 22:17 --

Prosoundman wrote:
decouple the sub woofer from the floor or get a life. whichever is easier for you.

I think it is really hard to decide...

The subs is on carpet already.

-- 17 Jun 2016 22:24 --

kwadzilla wrote:
You got a set of shakers, but still you can't feel the bass? How is that possible?

Well, a shakers make you fell the shake. It don't give you the bass punch. I like to have the feel of bass, just like in a theatre without the super loud volume.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:33 pm 

noway wrote:
Don't know if you could modify a regular shaker for this application with some straps but it might be worth trying if you are afraid of running out of batteries at the worst possible time. Not sure if something like this is good for you strapped to your gut...I guess just make sure you do it on an empty stomach and don't leave it laying around the house. :wink:

mmmm, I am not a strip-on kinda guy. Just not my thing. If you know what I mean. :mrgreen:

-- 17 Jun 2016 22:34 --

del Sol wrote:
del Sol

This is golden. Right on. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:42 pm 

viclauyyc wrote:
Philosophil wrote:
It sounds like you want to feel sub bass levels below 60hz. The problem is that these kinds of low frequency pressure waves like to travel, and will typically travel much farther than higher frequencies.

Isn't it the high frequency travel further? Like the speaker in public area?.

No. If you've read even half of the comments in this thread then you should know that this question has been addressed multiple time (either explicitly or implicitly).

I'm really starting to wonder about the seriousness of this thread... :?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:43 pm 

kwadzilla wrote:
You aren't going to win this battle. You require a Sound Pressure Level at bass frequencies that is too high to not disturb your wife. Your desired outcomes are contraindicated. Decoupling the subwoofers from the floor might help, but you still have to pressurize the room too feel the bump in your gut and often that comes from frequencies higher than the sub-bass region.

http://www.dryco.ca/sound-proofing/soun ... r-home.htm

But will I win the war?

I think the sound-proof thing will not be cheap...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:06 pm 

Its cheaper than a divorce.

Also, it depends on how you sell it.

When you spend all that money on soundproofing, you're DOING IT FOR HER, not you.

Because YOU'RE SUCH A GREAT GUY, AND THIS IS A PRIME EXAMPLE OF HOW LUCKY SHE IS TO HAVE YOU. ALWAYS PUTTING HER CONCERNS AHEAD OF YOURS.

And this is also a great time to tell her that you are putting your (so far, untold) dream plan of owning that $200,000 Ferrari on hold, and you will settle for soundproofing the room, because a great marriage is build on COMPROMISE. And your practical side knows you can't afford both.

And timing is everything - read: Fathers Day.

:D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next