Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:29 am 
Premium User

tboe77 wrote:
I have a wife and two young children. Often, the only time I have available to watch a movie is when the kids are asleep and my wife is either watching TV upstairs or also asleep. Watching a movie with the full dynamic range (including the LFE channel) is not an option for me in this case. I use a Denon AVR X-4000 as a processor. This model is equipped with Audyssey MultEQ XT32. This version includes a couple of features that are really helpful in this scenario. The first is Dynamic Volume. Dynamic Volume is a dynamic range compressor. Simply put, you can watch a movie loud enough to hear the dialogue, but the explosions will only be slightly louder than that. The sound quality remains very good. It is a far better implementation than any other "night mode" that I've ever heard. On its own, Dynamic Volume would not address the issue with the low frequencies penetrating throughout your house and disturbing others. Audyssey (XT32 only) also has another feather called Low Frequency Containment (LFC). When activated, it attenuates the low frequencies such that it minimizes the amount of bass that penetrates the walls of your listening room. It leaves you with a little bit of rumble (not a lot), and will prevent you from disturbing others in your house.

I know most folks around here don't care for auto-calibration technologies, but I am a fan of Audyssey. For those of us who do not have dedicated listening rooms, and must deal with such issues as WAF, a multi-purpose room, and less-than-ideal room layout and system configuration, Audyssey can really help you make the best out of whatever you have to work with.

Count me in as another Audyssey fan. I have the Denon AVR X-4200 and it is a tremendously capable unit in the situation that is the topic of conversation here.

Another alternative is to just watch romantic comedies at night :lol: Bass problem solved!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:19 am 

mantisory wrote:
I am not really sure, given what you're saying, whether you're asking for advice on what to do about your setup, or whether you're asking for marriage advice. :)

I just want to lower the volume but still want to feel the bass....

-- 08 Jun 2016 10:27 --

tboe77 wrote:
Audyssey (XT32 only) also has another feather called Low Frequency Containment (LFC). When activated, it attenuates the low frequencies such that it minimizes the amount of bass that penetrates the walls of your listening room.

Very interesting. I also use Audyssey with my Marantz AV8802. But I found the distance measurement is incorrect, it might be the setup of the listening/AV room.

Will definite look it up.

thanks
Vic

-- 08 Jun 2016 10:29 --

Tangram wrote:
Another alternative is to just watch romantic comedies at night :lol: Bass problem solved!

Sadly, not a big fan of chick flick.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:50 am 

viclauyyc wrote:

It sounds like you want to feel sub bass levels below 60hz. The problem is that these kinds of low frequency pressure waves like to travel, and will typically travel much farther than higher frequencies. The lower the frequencies the farther they are likely to travel. Low frequencies are not bothered much by walls and floors and will typically pass through such things with apparent impunity. When a car rumbles down the road with the stereo booming, it's not the high frequencies you hear, but the low ones.

If the bass levels are low enough and loud enough for you to feel them then, like it or not, chances are their effects are traveling well beyond where you happen to be. Hence your bass levels are likely impacting others who share the same general space over which your bass ranges. In other words, the 'bass space' is often far larger than the room you happen to be in, so you should take this larger 'bass space' into account when listening.

If you want to feel your bass without negatively impacting others (such as you wife, who is trying to sleep), then either you take some measures to limit the range of those bass effects (acoustic absorption or reflection of some sort), or you should try and move your listening space farther away from the spaces being negatively affected (e.g. the aforementioned 'man shed').

Good luck.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:19 am 

Another possibility might be to just sit on the subwoofer. :D

Last edited by Philosophil on Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:03 am 

Replace the sub with a sub that contains different listening modes, including night mode, that you can tailor the sound by the use of a built in parametric EQ with an infinitely adjustable low pass filter. Unfortunately, subs with the aforementioned capability come at a price, but the performance is incredible.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:24 am 

tboe77 wrote:
Audyssey (XT32 only) also has another feather called Low Frequency Containment (LFC). When activated, it attenuates the low frequencies such that it minimizes the amount of bass that penetrates the walls of your listening room.

viclauyyc wrote:
Very interesting. I also use Audyssey with my Marantz AV8802. But I found the distance measurement is incorrect, it might be the setup of the listening/AV room.

Will definite look it up.

thanks
Vic

The distance measurements calculated by Audyssey aren't necessarily intended to be an exact measurement of the physical distances. Rather they are "acoustic" distances, or a calculated delay setting, used to have the sound from each channel reach the listening position at the same time. These calculated distances, especially for the subwoofer, can differ quite a bit from the real physical distances, but they are used to achieve proper time alignment.

If you run the Audyssey set-up once, and the distances don't look right, I would run it again. However, if you've run it multiple times, and the distances are coming out about the same every time, then I would say that Audyssey is doing what it is supposed to do, and you should go with it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:39 am 

[quote="viclauyyc"]I just want to lower the volume but still want to feel the bass....
Then just get a bass shaker as suggested earlier in the thread. You can keep your wife and feel the bass. Two problems with one solution,

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:25 am 

You should have gotten a pre-nup

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:02 pm 

kwadzilla wrote:
viclauyyc wrote:
Then just get a bass shaker as suggested earlier in the thread. You can keep your wife and feel the bass. Two problems with one solution,

He's already using top of the line bass shakers, the Crowson Shadow-8's.

-- Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:09 pm --

Perhaps you might experiment with a Mid Bass Module, something like what HSU Research offers. It is basically a subwoofer that is optimized for 50-150hz and designed to be placed NEARFIELD. You may not get the room pressurization or rumble below your feet, but it does provide a nice kick in the chest kind of bass. The higher frequency operation should mean that the bass does not travel as far, and the nearfield nature should allow more impact for the listener at a given level.

I do not have the most experience with listening to one at low levels, it is my friend who owns one, but certainly at high volume that thing really packs a wallop.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:21 pm 
Dealer/Sponsor

decouple the sub woofer from the floor or get a life. whichever is easier for you.

J.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:35 am 

Well then I'm not quite sure you can have the cake and eat it (you can't listen to movies at low volumes AND still feel the bass AND not upset your sleeping wife); possibly you're taking us all for a ride:

You got a set of shakers, but still you can't feel the bass? How is that possible?

I'm inclined to say that you should take some time to read all the (serious) options, let them sink in, and then do something. Once you've done something, then let us know if it worked.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:07 am 

kwadzilla wrote:
You got a set of shakers, but still you can't feel the bass? How is that possible?

The shaker make you shake, but it does not to make your feel the pressure in your gut.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:37 am 

RafL wrote:
something like what HSU Research offers

Seems they stop selling it. Guess it is not the bestseller. Also, no one makes MBM. And I don't want to DIY.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:23 am 

viclauyyc wrote:
The shaker make you shake, but it does not to make your feel the pressure in your gut.

Running out of ideas so as a last resort maybe you should try attaching one of these strapons to your gut:

http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theat ... -ysVU8UIbA

Just make sure to tell your wife in case she wakes up and sees you with a silly grin on your face or asking why you're charging so many batteries.

Don't know if you could modify a regular shaker for this application with some straps but it might be worth trying if you are afraid of running out of batteries at the worst possible time. Not sure if something like this is good for you strapped to your gut...I guess just make sure you do it on an empty stomach and don't leave it laying around the house. :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:44 am 

If you ever want to see her naked again.............TURN OFF THE SUB!

del Sol

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next