Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:24 pm 

i have quality speakers for my LRC and subW. I want to set up a 5.1 home system. I have several bookshelf speakers of lower quality from back in the day laying around. Could i hook those up as the 2 surrounds or would it sound really bad. My understanding is the surrounds hardly come on when you watch a movie.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:42 pm 

What are the speakers you are using for your LCR and what are the speakers you would like to use for surrounds?
A standard cheaper bookshelf sized and with specs like the Paradigm Atom and PSB Alphas will do nicely for surround effects.
If they are anything like the speakers I mentioned I'd go for it and give it a try.

A lot of movies and TV these days have pretty active surround channels with a basic 5.1 signal.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:54 pm 

You can pretty much use whatever you want but it's better if they all have the same sound signature. You will notice it if the surrounds are radically different sounding from the front.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:56 pm 

mcyuke wrote:
What are the speakers you are using for your LCR and what are the speakers you would like to use for surrounds?
A standard cheaper bookshelf sized and with specs like the Paradigm Atom and PSB Alphas will do nicely for surround effects.
If they are anything like the speakers I mentioned I'd go for it and give it a try.

A lot of movies and TV these days have pretty active surround channels with a basic 5.1 signal.

I have the Elac uni-fi LRC and will likely run them off an amp via the pre-amp in my receiver. the surrounds i was talking about are really cheapo's...i have a few 10 year old Sony mini-stereos....the kind you'd buy when you left to go to college/university etc. I could buy 2 more uni-fi's but that's about 700 bux and was wondering how much i'd gain as surrounds vs the old sony's.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:11 pm 

If you listen to music in surround sound (SACD, DVD-Audio, etc.), then I would say that you should at least try and use the same brand and speaker series, to maintain a similar sound between channels.

If you just watch movies in surround sound, then it isn't as critical ... although you might notice an imbalance when sounds spin around the room or pan from front to back.

For the most part though, explosions and gunfire are just not that critical ... and if you watch rom-coms, we will have to have a very long chat. :mrgreen:

If you can use one of those newfangled Internets, you can post photos in your damn classified ads. :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:20 pm 

Besides level matching you have to make sure the speakers are 8ohm or more. Home theater receivers/amps rarely play well with 4 ohm loads.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:10 pm 

cryogenie wrote:
Besides level matching you have to make sure the speakers are 8ohm or more. Home theater receivers/amps rarely play well with 4 ohm loads.

4 ohm loads are probably not an issue for surround effects speakers,,,imho

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:52 pm 

Quadzilla wrote:
If you listen to music in surround sound (SACD, DVD-Audio, etc.), then I would say that you should at least try and use the same brand and speaker series, to maintain a similar sound between channels.

If you just watch movies in surround sound, then it isn't as critical ... although you might notice an imbalance when sounds spin around the room or pan from front to back.

For the most part though, explosions and gunfire are just not that critical ... and if you watch rom-coms, we will have to have a very long chat. :mrgreen:

good stuff...you like rom coms too!!? oh do tell! ha!

-- 06 Mar 2018 01:53 --

Mr.Hi-Fi wrote:
cryogenie wrote:

4 ohm loads are probably not an issue for surround effects speakers,,,imho

good to see a local lad on the interweb

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:58 pm 

Quote:
I have several bookshelf speakers of lower quality from back in the day laying around. Could i hook those up as the 2 surrounds or would it sound really bad.

Short answer, they will be OK for movie watching.

Quote:
My understanding is the surrounds hardly come on when you watch a movie.

Depends on the type of movie. Action movies use all the channels for a fair part of the movie. However, if you are watching dramas, old movies that are in mono, then you don't need rear surrounds.
As others indicated, surround music is different again.
A final consideration is where do you sit compared to the rear speakers? If you are several feet away from the rear surrounds, then it is not an issue. But if the couch is against the back wall and the speakers are on either of the couch, then you are in trouble. In such a situation, high mounted dipole speakers would be the answer.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:29 am 

Back speakers in a 7.1 my experience are not critical. They're pointed to the back of your head. There's certainly a lot less at stake. They also rarely come on.

For surround speakers, these should be pointed to your ears if they're single polar (traditional) speakers. Occasionally you might (maybe) notice a difference when the effect pans from front to back for movies. Most music lovers know what the instruments sound like. The effects played in a sound track don't sound like real guns and explosions, and even if they did, we wouldn't know it, and usually the only things that usually get played by the surrounds and rears in a surround home theatre experience are effects. So when it's not a pan-effect from front to back, it won't matter that much.

Obviously it's nicer when the sound is better from every speaker, but it's a much more significant improvement to add a second sub. If you spend 350$ instead of 700$, with some vigilance on CAM, you can land yourself a SVS or HSU. You will get a much bigger effect on the experience than you would by a rear speaker upgrade.

If you listen to surround music like SACDs, DVDs or concert disks, you'll want them to match. Most people recommend they be the same brand, but in my experience, they need to be the same line of speaker or it just doesn't sound right.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:34 am 

good info all around. Cheers