Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:54 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: DEFECTIVE ELAC AF-61
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:23 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

natedog wrote:
@Ken of Teo Audio
It's true that not all users would even notice the defect, if as described. However.
You don't seriously mean the OP to do repairs? even if he were a tech (wrty issue as another points out). He's spent over five large.

I know all that is built can be un-built or repaired, but it's not wise here.

Am assuming now that he will get his new speaker (not a set?), in the end, and be ok.
@ OP, pls report back...

I'm just saying that IMO it's not a big deal, I suspect.

For me, it's no more complex than turning a tap to access water, so I tend to have an unrealistic expectation on the part of the public.

Also, I did not get the part of there potentially being a warranty in play, which puts a barrier up in multiple directions. Elac dealer list says otherwise?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:21 am 

All links play fine here . I would fix it myself . But then I am confident I could . I hope you get this resolved simply .

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:48 am 

danroy wrote:
Last August I placed an order with a dealer (sam Kurry) in Laval (Montréal) for a pair of Elac AS-61 ($5059 with taxes)

M. Roy bought more than one time at this place, as I am a customer of M. Sam Kury Electronic. This place in Laval that seem to operate in his garage is false. The boxes are in is controled temperature garage... Yes. But M. Kury brings you in his home in a sound room to make you listen to what ever you like. He always take the time to fullfil your need. Never push to sell you more or bigger.

As I found a place in Quebec that sells the ELAC AF-61... the price is way much higher.

https://www.hifipro.ca/fr/produit/elac- ... e-plancher

M. Roy likes to go there as I am because of his Prices. As you can see he saves from $8736 to 5059....more than $3600. Myself, I bought a Subwoofer SVS PB13 Ultra, I saved $900 at his place brand new in the box, delivered to my home. I also bought there a Yamaha Aventage 3050 Pro-own 2 months upgrade from a customer (saved $1000)

M" Kury is affilated with many companies and operate a NON-STORE that he would have to pay big rent. So what he saves, you save !!!

This is very sad that M.Roy received a defective speaker. Maybe not the best handling from M. Kury at first. I guess he was in a hard position with ELAC, but he did negociate for a free replacement.

As all other talk about repairing the Speaker... when you pay that much for brand-new, you expect to get it in Perfect condition. I fully agree with you M. Roy.

I would go again at anytime to Sam Kury's place as I got very best price than anywhere else. I'm sure Dan you can say the same thing.... that's why you shop in Laval...not in Ottawa !

Your Friend.... Marc

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:25 am 

Ok for Starters, Marc , I have bought 3 items there, correct, but all 3 times they were picked up in his garage (fact)
All 3 times he refused to accept any kind of credit card (fact).
Last week I requested copies of my first 2 purchases, and he never replied (fact), also note his invoices are hand written (!)
Also i agree his prices are cheap, but after this experience, I will never cheap-out for better and local service, also see this ad:
https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details ... od-finish/
this is cheaper than what I paid (cash)

As for the replacement, he maintained for a long time the $2528 fee to get a new unit, which was waved after many (many) email and discussion with Charles Mallari at Elac
Here is copy of email (in French):

Fais shipper le haut-parleur remplacement chez moi et je vous fait signe quand il arrive pour que vous veniez pour l'échange.
Il faudra m'envoyer un montant de 2200$ avant taxes qui est remboursable dès que Elac USA me rembourse le haut-parleur défectueux.

At one point Elac even agrred to refund, but I guess M.Kurry refused to go along (also can post if you wish)
As I mentioned, I'm not in a mood to drive 4 hrs to get a replacement right now
Also please see my feedback to confirm credibility.

So Marc, please check all the facts before posting,

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:04 am 

mtqpier wrote:
I have a pair of AF-61 for 3 months now and I’m very happy with them.
Never heard a problem like yours. When I go home friday I will check mine and I will let you know.
I think there’s a small piece of wood that seal the chamber of the midrange from the chamber of the woofer. Maybe it went off.

Well I check my AF-61 this morning and everything is fine.
I’m very sorry for your defective one.
Good luck.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:23 am 

danroy wrote:
Hi all!
Just a questions concerning my recent purchase of a new pair of Elac AF-61..
Last August I placed an order with a dealer (sam Kurry) in Laval (Montréal) for a pair of Elac AS-61 ($5059 with taxes)
After many delays, I finally drove 2 hours (up and down) to pick them up at his house (he seems to operate from his garage)
When arriving home, being a sound engineering graduate, I inspected the 2 towers.
To my dismay, when you push gently on the upper passive radiator (there are 3) the coax (mid/tweeter) acted as a port!!!,
air actually coming out of the assembly, WOW (have a video, will post soon)
So I contacted Elac (USA), to find out what is the problem. after many discussions with Elac and the dealer, the dealer wanted to charge me $2527 to bring in a new tower, and then I must drive another 4 hours (not to mention renting a vehicle to bring this large box)
Eventually they dropped the $2527 fee, but still much grief to get a working pair, so I tried to get a refund, but to no avail.

So my question: being that these boxes are made in China, do you all think it s a quality control problem?, and anybody else encountered this defect ?

Hi danroy: Thanks for sharing; that's an awful story/state of -bad- affairs. From the "leaking" MF/HF enclosure to the Garage dealer. Not cool.

Personally, I'd keep-on the Full Refund approach. I'd also contact ELAC Germany/UK (wherever they are) and share this unfortunate story.
If they are professional, they would/must need to know of the performance/port! issues of the loudspeaker, be grateful, correct and do one of two things:

1) Send you a brand-new (fully inspected) pair at N/C, or (better yet)
2) Ask you if you prefer a full (purchase price) refund.

Good luck.

I'd be interested to know how it works out for you.

pj

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:45 pm 

danroy wrote:
Ok for Starters, Marc , I have bought 3 items there, correct, but all 3 times they were picked up in his garage (fact)
Last week I requested copies of my first 2 purchases, and he never replied (fact), also note his invoices are hand written (!)
Also i agree his prices are cheap, but after this experience, I will never cheap-out for better and local service, also see this ad:

As for the replacement, he maintained for a long time the $2528 fee to get a new unit, which was waved after many (many) email and discussion with Charles Mallari at Elac

Fais shipper le haut-parleur remplacement chez moi et je vous fait signe quand il arrive pour que vous veniez pour l'échange.
Il faudra m'envoyer un montant de 2200$ avant taxes qui est remboursable dès que Elac USA me rembourse le haut-parleur défectueux.

At one point Elac even agrred to refund, but I guess M.Kurry refused to go along (also can post if you wish)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:07 pm 

oct2018 wrote:
danroy wrote:

danroy: That's good to know -thanks for sharing.

This interest/hobby of hi-fi can be expensive/trying enough. There's nothing wrong with saving some money (everyone seeks to), but when it is in the manner you describe; garage/no CC, no 'copies' of previous invoices, it's a big mistake.
Such a transaction may suffice for some (cheaper) cables, accessories, etc., but clearly unwise in this case.

I'm grateful 'danroy' has exposed this; deceit, lack of honesty, low-handed maneuvers/attitudes is not worth ANY savings (although some may argue this -lol).

Over decades of involvement in the hi-fi industry, it was the purchases that involved both excellent product -and a memorable transaction/sales person/seller- that I recall most pleasingly.

pj
(P.S> There is nothing wrong with naming names, exposing etc. Any under-handed business dealings should be exposed in order to both help sort-out, and prevent future misgivings and/or experiences.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:36 pm 

Why do you even post? You’ve already admitted you don’t even like buying equipment. You just buy one setup and thats good enough for life apparently. Why even give your opinion on this forum?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:22 pm 

malthuse , what are you talking about?, see my feedback, oct 18 is next week bud!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:47 pm 

I was referring to all hifi. Not meant to be a jab at you. The guy seems to think buying audio equipment is a complete waste of time but he keeps posting on an audio forum for some reason.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:31 pm 

DanRoy this is Sam.

You have picked the Elac speakers stored in the garage on the original palette (is a fact and nothing wrong with that), you had to drive 2 hours (one way) to pick them up (is a fact and was part of our deal since the price was a pick-up price), you had to come with someone's other car (is a fact and had nothing to do with me), I'm in business and I don't take credit cards (is a fact and nothing wrong with that), invoices are hand writing is a fact and nothing wrong with that as well, we had some delay in you order is a fact but was out of my control, you had a defective brand-new speaker is a frustrating situation and I offered you a free replacement but you insisted, and still, to get a full refund because you are not in the mood to drive again to my place to make the exchange .... Well being in your place, I would have showed a good will by giving this situation a second chance at least!

Yes I still maintain, and it is totally normal, a deposit of 2528$ ONLY in case that ELAC-USA sends the replacement speaker to your door (something they usually don't do and I did negotiate that for you) this amount will fully be sent back to you when we will be able to pick up the defective speaker from your place and send it back to ELAC USA. Next time please be sure to copy and past the proper part of my french version email!

Je pourrai faire expédier le haut-parleur remplaçant directement chez vous de chez ELAC USA et faire ramasser le haut-parleur défectueux par un transporteur à nos frais. Vous avez juste à utiliser la palette qui va arriver avec le haut-parleur remplaçant pour y stabiliser le haut-parleur à retourner chez Élac en utilisant du Nylon pour l'enrober, aussi je pourrais vous rembourser tous frais raisonnables (Achat du rouleau Nylon par exemple) reliés à la fixation du haut-parleur défectueux auprès de la palette. Dans ce cas un montant de 2200$ avant taxes ( le prix que je vous ai chargé pour un haut-parleur) est exigé avant expédition du nouveau haut-parleur chez vous et ce montant vous sera remboursé dès que ELAC USA reçoive le haut-parleur défectueux et/ou me le rembourse.

On the other hand I offered you, as I do for any client, the best price possible and the best service possible before, during and after the transaction, I have been very relevant in resolving the problem of this defective speaker however without any raisonnable collaboration from your side the situation won't change.

P.S: I just created this CAM account in order to reply to your comments so you don't have to denounce it.

All the best.

Sam.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:31 pm 

Feel for you man. This place has gotten ugly the last few days. Naming and shaming, people complaining about not being made to feel special by dealers, others posting how buying stereo equipment is a waste of time....on the Canuckaudiomart forum!

It’s crazy town right now.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:33 am 

danroy wrote:

danroy: Cmoemarc was nice enough to chime in -no need to attack him.

I clicked on the link you provided earlier (to the chap's ad listing), and low/behold he's been in business long enough to garner 600+ POSITIVE ratings !(?)
I haven't clicked on yours to (question?) credibility. I doubt it's anywhere near sellers.

Here'e something to consider, danroy; there remains (mercifully) a market where one can obtain/purchase Hi-Fi goods/equipment at far below retail value, yet in the back-of-their-minds must think. hmmmm .... this may prove unwise, or "Wow, what savings -I'll take my chance" (so-to-speak).

I suspect for the most part, it works out to everyone's satisfaction. But the odd time (like yours) it does not. Yet it appears you wish for 'Red-Carpet' Retail Sales service ????

Gimm'e a break, you/we should all know/better, "expect less?" -when we 'take-the-bait' on such "deals".

It may be a good idea for seller to chime in about now....?

pj

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:35 am 
Premium User

Sam,

Sorry you had to defend your reputation here on CAM. I suspect you have been in business long enough to have come across other customers who are never satisfied. IMHO if buyers want the white glove service that’s fine but expect to pay for it. The OP made a conscious decision to drive 2 hours to pick up the speakers to save a considerable amount on his purchase. There is always the small chance that brand new equipment will be defective (although I admit, unusual for passive speakers).

Good luck with your business and thanks for offering high quality equipment at a very reasonable price.