Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:35 pm 

Infinity RS1.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:05 pm 

Well, I kinda laughed when I saw we were resurrecting a thread from 2010, but what the hell...
My Quad 12L's look better (gloss cherry), sound better, and are self powered. I drive them from my Mac, via an Apogee Duet, and couldn't be happier!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:34 pm 

WOW !!!!!

did not realize

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:40 am 

triathleteman wrote:
I needed some new computer speakers - preferably silver to blend in - so I found a silver pair here from a CAMmer....
I'm using a Topping desktop dac/amp so via one USB port I can use headphones when I want, or drive the speakers.

Only problem is, the crossover upgrade "kit" that once was on ebay no longer is......from what I can gather the important part is to replace the 4.7uf cap with a new film cap....anyone able to confirm that? I looked at PartsConnexion and they have a few 4.7 - from a few dollars to a few hundred, and also Solen with similar results.

Any suggestions on which caps would be appropriate? Or even better if there's a link out there I couldn't find to someone selling a "kit" that would be awesome.....even if its a retailer that can assemble a DIY kit for me.

Thanks in advance,

(I ressurected an old thread rather than starting a new one on the same topic....that's what we are supposed to do right?)

I don't think you need to worry about a "kit" so to speak as the parts are readily available at Parts Connection or Solen. I have done a few Minimus 7 speakers over the years and still have 1/2 a dozen of them around. I have used Solen, Jantzen or Dayton Audio caps in them with stellar results. Originally they had electrolytic caps and anything beats those for crossover use. Solen will have the caps, inductor and resistors on hand for a reasonable price. Minimus 7's are still one of those audio classics that will never die off and rightfully deserve a place in audio history.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:00 pm 

8 years later wow...still a timeless subject near and dear to my heart...long live the Minimus 7's.

Revox Piccolo's...if you can get the matching sub woofer is even better but they do amazing on their own.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:15 pm 

Yeah it's an 8-year old thread and the OP is long gone and not paying attention. But these always get my vote: the System Audio SA505 from Denmark. Very difficult to find on the pre-owned market...and for good reason.
Attachment:
2012-07-05_38cacd29168451a4caa59e486b2b3a69.jpg
2012-07-05_38cacd29168451a4caa59e486b2b3a69.jpg [ 87.39 KiB | Viewed 421 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:17 pm 
Premium User

Not sure if it's been mentioned yet but the Totem Dreamcatcher gets my vote.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:43 pm 

hifijones wrote:
Yeah it's an 8-year old thread and the OP is long gone and not paying attention.

He got banned some time ago. He was famous for starting regular threads to shill some speakers he just got that were more fantastic than anything he has ever heard, then two days later he would flip them for sale in a classified ad.

Don't blame your Millennials for doing nothing. You did tell them they could do anything they wanted to do.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:26 pm 

That is 100% correct. Model HC4, part of surround set; impressive transparency and imaging.
One drawback only: They cannot go as low as Minimus 7 and perhaps are not as organic sounding, so for the price Minimus-7 still the winners.

severum wrote:
Doc Sage wrote:
For my lady I got a pair of Paradigm speakers, part of their Cinema series, to go with her little Sony compact receiver. They are no bigger then the Minimus 7 and in combination with an 8" power sub by Energy ($70-, Craigslist) does a great job at filling her small condo with great music.

Such small "monitors" are easily available these days and are heads above the old #7's.

Doc Sage

Absolutely, I have some small Acoustic Research speakers, same size as the minimus 7's, they are part of a 5.1 package and vastly superior to the "7's"

IMO, the Minimus 7 is a tremendously over-rated speaker, even for the size.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:30 am 

For the princely sum of $25, I secured an unblemished pair (Japan) in black metal to replace my Jamo J60 satellites. I use these speakers with a vintage Pioneer SX-535 receiver and a Technics CD player and I am grinning from ear to ear with my good fortune. :D

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:57 am 
Premium User

Quadzilla wrote:
hifijones wrote:
Yeah it's an 8-year old thread and the OP is long gone and not paying attention.

He got banned some time ago. He was famous for starting regular threads to shill some speakers he just got that were more fantastic than anything he has ever heard, then two days later he would flip them for sale in a classified ad.

sorry it's my fault, I recently picked up a pair and was looking for input for the crossover upgrade as the "kit" once sold on ebay is not available any longer. I guess I should of started a new thread on "simple upgrades for Minimus-7"

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:32 am 

These things intrigue me

https://www.parts-express.com/overnight ... r--300-706

Tough to find a picture showing the size. These are small.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:42 am 

triathleteman wrote:
Quadzilla wrote:
hifijones wrote:

sorry it's my fault, I recently picked up a pair and was looking for input for the crossover upgrade as the "kit" once sold on ebay is not available any longer. I guess I should of started a new thread on "simple upgrades for Minimus-7"

I was just addressing hifijones' comment about the OP.

Don't blame your Millennials for doing nothing. You did tell them they could do anything they wanted to do.