Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Magnepan Madness
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:30 am 

If you have a microphone and signal generator, you may be able to tweak the time delay so that the Quad and the Magnepan are in phase.... just play with the delay until you can measure maximum volume at the crossover frequency.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:23 pm 

That’s getting a little beyond my means. I can plug stuff in and crank volumes, which makes me dangerous. The quads was just a test to see how to set up a multi panel setup. Worked really well so I’m hopeful for two pairs of magnepans.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:12 am 

Here are some simple steps:

For a signal generator, you can find free audio software online and create a file that contains nothing but the 100Hz tone.

Then using a microphone about 1M away from the speakers, you can measure volumes with the mic input on a laptop/PC as you record the playback.

The mini-DSP should have a settable time delay between HF and LF outputs. Experiment with this to find peak volume at 100Hz.

That way you can avoid any hump or cancellation/suckout.

It's just a bit of fooling around.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:42 am 

Well, I received the 3.7s and tried various combinations with the 1.6. The only one that worked without sounding downright weird was the 1.6 beside on either side crossed over at 250 hz or lower. Anything else and you could hear odd affects between the speakers. Frankly the 3.7 sound better on their own. Just getting used to the sound change. Again, I’m can’t believe it took me this long to get into magnepan. Massive soundstage. Disturbingly the 1.6 seems better for solo voice. This makes me wonder if the 1.7i might be in my future.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:24 pm 

malthuse wrote:
Well, I received the 3.7s and tried various combinations with the 1.6. The only one that worked without sounding downright weird was the 1.6 beside on either side crossed over at 250 hz or lower. Anything else and you could hear odd affects between the speakers. Frankly the 3.7 sound better on their own. Just getting used to the sound change. Again, I’m can’t believe it took me this long to get into magnepan. Massive soundstage. Disturbingly the 1.6 seems better for solo voice. This makes me wonder if the 1.7i might be in my future.

The 1.6 and 1.7 are very similar sonically. I doubt you will hear a big (or even small) difference.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:33 pm 

Do the 3.7 have spikes? If not, get them off the rug/carpeting on place them direct on the hard floor. Even if they do, the direct coupling will improve bass response and help bloom of the mids. If there are no spikes or footers of any sort, simply place a coin under each leg of the stands and then be amazed.

Also, the 3 series is a three way, you'll have to adjust the toe-in and speaker/speaker distance to achieve its full potential. Don't expect to drop into the same spot you had the 1.6 and expect improved performance.

Last edited by kwadzilla on Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:01 pm 

i only had a pair of humble mg1cs some years ago.

but i did find that they sounded way worse with other speakers in the room. it was a big difference, it took me by surprise. im not sure why it affects them so much more than other speakers ive owned. (maybe the reverse effect of the unique way panels apparently load a room?) loved them though. im very magnepan curious..

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:50 pm 

With the maggie being so far out from the back wall, the temptation to store unused items or other items of furniture would be a big mistake. Maggies need space... cluttering the space in behind kills the bass.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:47 pm 

ripblade wrote:
With the maggie being so far out from the back wall, the temptation to store unused items or other items of furniture would be a big mistake. Maggies need space... cluttering the space in behind kills the bass.

Seconded. Trying to satisfy my wife in the bedroom I placed the records (Kallax stands) on the wall behind the 2.5s which were about 4-5' away. The system sounded weak/anaemic as a result and the Kallax stands had to go back in the bedroom and my wife remained dis-satisfied.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:52 pm 

kwadzilla wrote:
ripblade wrote:

Seconded. Trying to satisfy my wife in the bedroom I placed the records (Kallax stands) on the wall behind the 2.5s which were about 4-5' away. The system sounded weak/anaemic as a result and the Kallax stands had to go back in the bedroom and my wife remained dis-satisfied.

So now you're both dissatisfied lol.

Maggies are a paradox....they look so WAF...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:04 pm 

Maggies must really be a love or hate relationship. I have the MMG's and have been unhappy with them for a few reasons. Recently I threw a wack of power at them and was greatly impressed by how much they picked up. However, I had wanted to build a very simple system and now having to add a power amp and perhaps a sub I am wondering if I am getting off course just to accommodate the speakers.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:11 pm 

Canadiansnowland wrote:
Maggies must really be a love or hate relationship. I have the MMG's and have been unhappy with them for a few reasons. Recently I threw a wack of power at them and was greatly impressed by how much they picked up. However, I had wanted to build a very simple system and now having to add a power amp and perhaps a sub I am wondering if I am getting off course just to accommodate the speakers.

This may help, raise them a foot off the floor, GET RID of angle and stand dead straight up and down, I have smga that I made new frames for so could stand vertical, really amazing the difference in sound.Try it first

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:42 pm 

kwadzilla wrote:

I think this needs to be rephrased ...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:33 am 

...hilarious, I think,it should be left as is.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:40 am 

malthuse wrote:
...hilarious, I think,it should be left as is.

+1 :lol: