Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:48 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:16 pm 
Premium User

It's sad to see music lovers flames die out...I hope this moment is decades away for me. Condolences.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:21 am 

I’ll agree on a few points, from a few posters
1. We are spoon fed some crap pop music but there are some gems, and you need to look and put some effort in.
2. New music doesn’t suck
3. There’s lots of music from the Dylan era that sucks too (and from the Britney era that is fantastic!)

Personally, for me, the musical universe is so massive, I will never explore it all in my lifetime. Some modern tools help in that search suck as streaming services.

1. Browsing a record store, ear buds in, looking up interesting titles I somehow get attracted to (label, genre, artist, etc...) and have a listen through it before I buy.
2. I also use streaming to check out new artists, every night or two I will sit down and listen to a few tracks of each new release in a few genres (Jazz, Blues, Indie and Americana) on my tidal account via my main system.

This approach has lead me to start loving the Aligator label for blues, finding artists such as St. Vincent (I missed the Grammy winning album a couple years ago, started listening a version of her new one, loved it, but don’t like the Grammy one). I’ve found a lot of interesting artists this way.

To the point though, it takes work to find new music you connect with, if you only stick with stuff you like from the past....well, you’ll be stuck in the past.

Just my $.02

Alan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:11 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

100% agree, Alan. This thread is trolly, ignorant and insecure, if not outright bigoted. Was Neil Young a girly man then? Brian Wilson? How about Roy Orbison? How about John Lennon at his most vulnerable, singing 'Woman'?

Music is art, it's not a commodity you consume. Artists express themselves in their own way. I'd like to see the OP approach Justin Vernon (Bon Iver) and question his masculinity. :lol: Listen to whatever you like, there's no need to put anyone down just because they don't fit your mold.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:24 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

So much good new music this year alone it is making my head spin.

I'm with James.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:46 am 

I was told years ago that those voices are perceived as "non-threatening" to teen girls, the majority consumers of popular music.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:09 am 

Who doesn't like Aaron Neville?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:22 am 

Stereo-Untypical wrote:
100% agree, Alan. This thread is trolly, ignorant and insecure, if not outright bigoted. Was Neil Young a girly man then? Brian Wilson? How about Roy Orbison? How about John Lennon at his most vulnerable, singing 'Woman'?

Music is art, it's not a commodity you consume. Artists express themselves in their own way. I'd like to see the OP approach Justin Vernon (Bon Iver) and question his masculinity. :lol: Listen to whatever you like, there's no need to put anyone down just because they don't fit your mold.

+1

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:23 am 

Stereo-Untypical wrote:

What exactly is "outright bigoted" about this post? You need to seriously explain yourself before you throw these claims at your HiFi Brother, who's sharing his opinion from a humourous, yet understandable and defendable point of view.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:24 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

I thought the post was in bad taste. Sorry if I took the bait and was rude in return.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:33 pm 

Stereo-Untypical wrote:
100% agree, Alan. This thread is trolly, ignorant and insecure, if not outright bigoted.

1st world problems. Don't **** your pants.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:35 am 

Audio_Guy wrote:
Who doesn't like Aaron Neville?

This guy, apparently. https://www.democraticunderground.com/d ... 05x4367676

He holds his own in discussing it. I too am not a fan of Nevilles voice. I don't hate it but if present on the radio I'll switch stations.

riffer wrote:
I was told years ago that those voices are perceived as "non-threatening" to teen girls, the majority consumers of popular music.

That's interesting. Of course the music business is exactly that; business. 80% of purchase decisions in the home are made by women so your example is viable. I would like to read more on the psychographic methods used by producers in the music business. Would be fascinating. I often enjoy the DVD extras on the machinations of film-making moreso than the film itself. There's a technique composers can use to "earworm" a hook into peoples heads to increase popularity. The guy who composed the track "Everything is Awesome" from the LEGO movie even apologized for doing that.

xs10sl1 wrote:
What exactly is "outright bigoted" about this post? You need to seriously explain yourself before you throw these claims at your HiFi Brother, who's sharing his opinion from a humourous, yet understandable and defendable point of view.

Thanks Fella, you got it. Trigger thresholds amongst the NPC crowd are hyper-sensitive these days. But, there are no safe spaces in Nature.

It's the current crop of singing voices and the range they remain in, not the musicianship or production values that the post is about. The strained affectation they attempt to impart really makes you want to force feed them a ribeye steak in order to give them some strength to carry on living. There are a lot of toe-tapping modern tunes out there, enjoyable until the singing starts. Perhaps in the future, the pendulum will swing from the current state of pre-pubescent schoolgirl pitches, to the other extreme into Barry White or Lorne Greene territory. Only time will tell.