Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:58 am 

In your car.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:03 am 

...radio...July 26 degrees...Vancouver to Hope...Mustang GT...top down...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:26 am 

I went out and bought myself a Denon TU-500 last year and had Ring Audio go over it. It sounds fantastic ... 5 gang tuner. I listen to mostly CBC and it comes in clear as a bell living downtown Toronto.

http://www.thevintageknob.org/denon-TU-500.html

Attachments:
57ea38b23b2830162309f633b3b524fb.jpg
57ea38b23b2830162309f633b3b524fb.jpg [ 94.62 KiB | Viewed 823 times ]
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:45 am 

Try one of the Nikko tuners filling up the sales avenues.
My Gamma V was just tweaked and aligned by Jov.
Also have a Gamma 1, Gamma 40, Kenwood KT815, and would recommend any of them.
The Gamma 40 is a bit harder to find than a 1.
Just breaking in the V this week in my living room with a big brother.

Attachments:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 419.47 KiB | Viewed 784 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:17 am 

When I listen to FM it's almost exclusively CBC radio for classical and Jazz/Blues and I've tried it through the streamer but my old Sansui tuner spanks it for SQ. I do use the streamer to explore stations around the world but that's a pretty rare occurance as the SQ usually sucks.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:29 am 

I see that the Marantz NA6005 Network Audio Player has a built-in AM/FM tuner, maybe it could be a good compromise between a dedicated tuner and a music streamer? Anyone has any experience with the Marantz?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:42 am 

Hi Utopia, I've had some experience local here in Montreal about FM broadcast.
SRC 100,7 FM will give you all the best sound quality with minimum compression and with an excellent FM analog tuner sound.
Bests are Magnum Dynalab and some well maintained FT101A- Etude, MD90 and MD100 are the ones to look after.
Some top rated in FM info site will guide best.
Vintage Denon, Kenwood are to the most sought after models, but they need to be serviced professionally, has years would have degrade their specs.
You need to look at at tuner for alignment, new capacitors, cleaned.
Quad FM4 is a not expensive tuner that sound great for the price, but you need again to have this one serviced as internal memory battery often leaks to pc traces inside and that's not good.
I do use one here everyday, but it is not the most sensitive tuner, some Kenwoods are better in that.

Then a good roof antenna like MD2 from Magnum Dynalab is easy install outside or close to a window aiming to FM transmitters in Montreal that is Mont-Royal
(red and white tower with 3 beacon red lamps on top)
I do use an omnidirectionnal FM antenna from winguard $30 thing that works best for my location.
If you live near US border, some interesting FM station are in reach from Plastburg NY and Burlington VT.

Here's what i would recommend you , I base my choice on FM tuner info rating and how easy it is for service and repairs if needed, and I dont have any relation with theses sellers;

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/ ... from-1976/

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/ ... al-pickup/

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/ ... sui-tu519/

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/ ... 0-t-tuner/

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/ ... 01a-tuner/

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/ ... lab-ft101/

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/ ... ever-made/

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/ ... oden-case/

So you have a wide choice here, happy shopping!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:14 am 

utopia wrote:
Hello,

I am looking to add FM radio (there are still a few good ones in Montreal) to my main system. Since dedicated tuners have pretty much disappeared, what is the best sounding way to listen to FM radio in 2018? If necessary, my preamplifier has a pretty good DAC.

Thank you

Download a radio app, FREE, and plug your computer into your DAC. No need for tuner, just a spdif cable and a USB converter. I recently did this and the resulting sound is very good...also, no analogue hiss due to weather or antenna issues. I can donate the cable for free :-) heck I have a Rotel tuner I can donate for free HAHA...not.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:39 am 

I would score one of the Magnum Dynalab FT101s out there. I have been using mine with great results for 30 yrs. I have it hooked up to a plain wire antenna but there is a t.v coaxial cable terminal on the back as well.

It is in fact the only component that I never replaced or felt the need to upgrade in my entire system since buying it in 1988 now that I think about it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:44 am 

Kenny wrote:
Ya just can't beat a good strong 'Analogue Signal-n-Sound'!

....I'm still using a Nikko Gamma 30,but long for the soft glow of my old Sansui,now that was a sweet sound!
EP concert Kenny

Nikko made some excellent sounding tuners. If you have a chance try auditioning the Nikko Gamma 1 FM only tuner although, it may look small, however, don't let its size fool you as it sounds just as big and bold as any other good tuners out there once it locked into a good FM signal. I had compared to my other tuner the Philips AH 6371 its overall sounds characteristics mimic that of the Philips but with less depth and width soundstage. I'm very lucky to purchase it cheaply 15 years ago for $50.00, I guess the guy who sold it to me didn't know what he had at that time.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:42 pm 

tube54 wrote:
Kenny wrote:

....I'm still using a Nikko Gamma 30,but long for the soft glow of my old Sansui,now that was a sweet sound!
EP concert Kenny

Nikko made some excellent sounding tuners. If you have a chance try auditioning the Nikko Gamma 1 FM only tuner although, it may look small, however, don't let its size fool you as it sounds just as big and bold as any other good tuners out there once it locked into a good FM signal. I had compared to my other tuner the Philips AH 6371 its overall sounds characteristics mimic that of the Philips but with less depth and width soundstage. I'm very lucky to purchase it cheaply 15 years ago for $50.00, I guess the guy who sold it to me didn't know what he had at that time.

Doing a test and comparison today. The 3 rackmount + the tuner in the NR1415..
As the Gamma V was just revised, I wantd to see what sounds I had, and performance.
If I scale these...
The Gamma 40, which I just repaired, but no rebuild, is #4. Its good, but the Gamma I and the NR1415 are slightly cleaner, and they are similar compared to each other. Hard to tell the difference. They are the same age, same catalog, and the receiver gang is equal. So surprise, but, not surprised.
The revised Gamma V- a different category on 2 points. In close by stations, the V has a good over all edge on sound stage, but much tighter bass, vocal, all distinctly better in its own way. But what really says it all, is the noise floor on a distance transmitor....WOW quiet. When it is playing a quiet passage on a distance station, its like next door compared to the other 3.
Its all a bit unfair with 3 not updated or aligned, but I didn't have a problem with their respective performance before I started this project . But in this line up - I get to say on scale vs other Tuners That I have or have had...these rate An 8, two 9's, and an 11/10....

I would agree with the above, find a well kept Gamma I, you won't go wrong. If you find one of the others, don't hesitate.

Attachments:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 310.52 KiB | Viewed 699 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:03 pm 

Sasklite wrote:
tube54 wrote:
Kenny wrote:

EP concert Kenny

Doing a test and comparison today. The 3 rackmount + the tuner in the NR1415..
As the Gamma V was just revised, I wantd to see what sounds I had, and performance.
If I scale these...
The Gamma 40, which I just repaired, but no rebuild, is #4. Its good, but the Gamma I and the NR1415 are slightly cleaner, and they are similar compared to each other. Hard to tell the difference. They are the same age, same catalog, and the receiver gang is equal. So surprise, but, not surprised.
The revised Gamma V- a different category on 2 points. In close by stations, the V has a good over all edge on sound stage, but much tighter bass, vocal, all distinctly better in its own way. But what really says it all, is the noise floor on a distance transmitor....WOW quiet. When it is playing a quiet passage on a distance station, its like next door compared to the other 3.
Its all a bit unfair with 3 not updated or aligned, but I didn't have a problem with their respective performance before I started this project . But in this line up - I get to say on scale vs other Tuners That I have or have had...these rate An 8, two 9's, and an 11/10....

I would agree with the above, find a well kept Gamma I, you won't go wrong. If you find one of the others, don't hesitate.

You know what I made a booboo as I meant to say Nikko Gamma V FM tuner which of course is the one I had. Sorry, my bad. However, my earlier comment on the tuner still remain.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:16 pm 

Back to the OP. There are two ways to listen to FM:
1) Traditional over the air (OTA)
2) via the internet/cable/ satellite. I put these together because they do not require a traditional tuner.

Internet radio gives you thousands of stations, frequently without commercials. Sound quality varies, from good to poor. If you listen as background then internet radio is fine and it exposes you to a wide variety of music, even more than FM.

Traditional OTA requires a tuner and an antenna to listen. Fewer stations, there are commercials except for the CBC and the sound quality varies from very good to poor.
A used tuner can be picked up for as little as $10. A decent quality tuner will cost more and some people go for Magnum Dynalab because they can be serviced here in Canada and are relatively reasonable in terms of price vs quality.
Many people are shifting to streaming/ online and getting rid of their tuners and cds. In the end, it is up to you.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:19 am 

Why is it when someone asks for help on a fm tuner the people
Who don’t understand what analog fm means to the person
Asking they insist on pushing all this streaming crap on them .

If you don’t like fm let the guy be .
Do you think he has never heard of streaming.

Long live fm tuners .