Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: what do I want?
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 5:54 am 

I am completely new to this but I want to set up a Vintage audio system I have a Sony TA 2650 Amp (I like it) Am looking for a suitable tuner must be Sony The 2950 seems to be the intended tuner for this amp They seem to be scarce Is this what I should look for? I believe my amp is entry level but I would like to get a matching tuner for it then possibly upgrade everything I would like to get a Marantz Receiver at some point I presently use the Sony amp with an AGS AF 374 tuner Akai cassette deck Pioneer CD player and Dual turntable hooked to Cerwin Vega D-3's and JVC SK-404 speakers By the way my volume when using the tuner is considerably less than when using another component Is this normal? I use a Hitachi EQ and it seems to make up the difference Any info will be much appreciated

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 6:56 pm 

It's normal that one component sound louder than the other.

Are you interested in hifi or you want to stay with mid-fi?

Post subject: Hi-fi Mid-fi
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 1:56 am 

What is the difference I know what each term means but not how they relate to Audio components Where does it change from one to the other ? Is it based on price age power or manufacturer? What makes my components "mid-fi" and not "hi-fi"?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 5:38 am 

It doesn't have to be expensive but It surely can be.

We can see how mid-fi and Hifi differ from different stand point:

- Marketing: mid-fi want to sell volume to people who doesn't know better. They will use any type of bell and whistle to impress. Sound quality is not one of them. They will buy huge amount of advertising to convince you that they are the best ( like macdonald). They will use "lights show" on there face plate, many button and function ( most of them you wont need or used). they will use anything that can flash. light, driver, huge driver, gold plastic...
There price will be low and frequently discounted. they won't sell in store where you can listen, really listen to there components. You will find there product in place where many sound system will play at the same time so you can not compared an analyse what your going to buy. What your going to buy is a price $$$ not a quality product.

Engineering: Every part you used to make a product add to the final cost.
As I said, mid-fi will put money where it doesnt matter found the quality of sound reproduction. Light, control, useless function, marketing, lots of marketing.
hifi and hi-end will put money where it can make a difference: power supply, quality parts, match pair of those part. No flashy thing. The quality is inside the box, not outside. They will test and listen to there product and let you listen before making a buying decision. They are confident that by listening will will buy there product. You won't find them in department store, only in real hifi store.

When they talk about soung reproduction mid-fi will that about bass
sometime high. hifi and hi-end will want you to listen to there sounstage, image, depth, width sound of each instrument in a recording...

Since you were talking about sony product, it reminded me of to review that appear in a hifi mag few years ago. There was two amp, one big 200w/ch Sony and a small sima (simaudio) 50w amp. Looking at the power supply: the huge and beautiful Sony ad a big 250watt/amp power supply ( i simplified the description) the small simaudio ad 540watt/amp per channel. On the test bench the sony did not meet is spec for 8 ohm not by far but it didn't meet it. The simaudio was more powerful than what it spec says at 8 ohm. At 4 ohm the sony manage to excess a tiny bit is 8 ohm rating ( good amp double or almost double there power with each halved impedance) the simaudo was now at a little more than 100w. at 2 ohm the sony could not give more power it gave less. the simaudio was now at 200w. at one ohm the sony stop playing the simaudio excess 350w.

p.s. hope you understood what i just writed. English is not my first language and i tried to keep it simple.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:02 am 

let your ears be your guide. if your like me i was an aircraft mech for 20 yrs and have some hearing problems. just this am i was playing my denon and i just hooked up a yamaha. all are vintage. but what i hear is better sound out of a 20 dollar yamaha. both are going thru the same speakers. it seems the denon had some problems pushing my kenwoods. what is mid-fi today was hi-fi yesterday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:08 am 

now i'm going to play dumb. why would a tuner pull down the output thus the loudness? the tuner is really a passive piece of equipment. please tell me how this happens;because it has never happened to me. thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:17 am 

whistlepig 59 wrote:
now i'm going to play dumb. why would a tuner pull down the output thus the loudness? the tuner is really a passive piece of equipment. please tell me how this happens;because it has never happened to me. thanks

The output level on the tuner is slightly lower in level to the other components he is using. Just have to add a bit more gain (turn the volume control up)on the amp to get the same loudness of the other pieces in his system. Many tuners including my vintage Kenwoods have a gain control on either the back or front of the machines to vary the output to match the rest of the system. Not really a problem if your tuner does not have this feature just be carefull when you switch back to the other sources that you turn the volume on the amp back down a bit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:55 am 

thank you for the explanation. with all the vintage equipment im buying im learning. whats funny it makes me feel old. the vintage stuff was what i was listening to in the 70s. my wife is getting grouchy. i've got 5 recievers sitting here and 1 tuner and looking for more. the new stuff just doesn't sound the way im used to listening to music.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:01 am 

I got a whack of speakers, 3 receivers, 1 integrated amp and tuner and these are all extras. This does not include my 2 main systems. My wife has given up on me but realizes it keeps me out of trouble.