Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Roy Orbison
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:59 am 

This I just read about and am wondering what you think about it. I personally am at a loss to think that this would be considered a concert and that a hologram performance is definitely not worth the price of admission.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/r ... -1.4790231

Post subject: Re: Roy Orbison
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:27 am 

I was fortunate to see Roy live on a couple of occasions and have fond memories of that but something like this proposed show would be a very poor substitute.

Better to get a good DVD and some of his records or CDs and still have lots of money left over.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:51 pm 

Technology, isn't it great, real enough, no idea.

People pay to see impersonators perform.

Just another way to make money...

Ohms

https://www.leohl.ca

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:48 pm 

I don't know if anyone actually looked at the link above that's posted.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/r ... -1.4790231

The sample video looks pretty good. I didn't realize hologram technology has matured quite a bit.
This technology could be better used in perhaps movies and other application.

They should try and do a concert with Elvis Hologram, but not let anyone know that it's a hologram.
Make up some back story about how he was hiding in Tweed, Ontario, all along and this is his great coming out concert. :lol:

There are people who believe he's not dead, but hiding out somewhere.

Last edited by tardis26 on Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:58 pm 

Actually if I'm right, this is even worse. I think this is an imposter who looks like Roy, the vocals are recorded obviously. So they used an imposter, projected that image to make it look like it's Roy they are projecting. The colour quality, the look- it just doesn't look like Roy for some reason, somethings not right. If they crop just Roy from a background taken from grainy video unless it was footage shot, say in the years before he died,then they would just produce a holographic image that can be projected as such. However, if they had no decent video quality footage, they might film someone that looks like Roy for better results.

Aside from all that, I agree with Rob Bowman. Rob wrote liner notes for CD box sets, one of them won him a grammy for his Otis Redding set. He also did two vinyl and cd sets of Stax/Volt. Paying to see a holographic image is a joke and it seems it really isn't for the real fans of the artists. Roys recordings were of very high quality for the most part so just listening to his records is enough for me. The Monument Records remastered box set sounds great. I mean, some of the show consists of live musicians but so does the latest Fleetwood Mac tour. Yes perhaps the most singularly talented member of the band who basically influenced their sound since Peter Greens incarnation, is not on that tour. I'm told he will not be appearing as a holograph, anywhere.

Last edited by Musicware4u on Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:18 pm 
Premium User

I think the hologram looks great but I wouldn't pay $ to see it beyond $40 WITH the orchestra. Kinda kitchy.

For $400 do you get a meet n greet with the hologram? :lol:

Ariston RD11 Superieur, RB250 & Tecnoweight, DV20X2H, LCR MkIII, Dacmagic100, Exposure 2010S2, AS Statement SEs, AS Testaments, PSB GT1s

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:27 am 

This is the problem with nostalgia. And combined with greed, it's even worse.

So Vegas probably will be filled with these shows one day.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:34 am 

I agree - this will become the rage in Vega.
ELVIS IS BACK!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:38 am 

Musicware4u wrote:
Actually if I'm right, this is even worse. I think this is an imposter who looks like Roy, the vocals are recorded obviously. So they used an imposter, projected that image to make it look like it's Roy they are projecting. The colour quality, the look- it just doesn't look like Roy for some reason, somethings not right. If they crop just Roy from a background taken from grainy video unless it was footage shot, say in the years before he died,then they would just produce a holographic image that can be projected as such. However, if they had no decent video quality footage, they might film someone that looks like Roy for better results.

Aside from all that, I agree with Rob Bowman. Rob wrote liner notes for CD box sets, one of them won him a grammy for his Otis Redding set. He also did two vinyl and cd sets of Stax/Volt. Paying to see a holographic image is a joke and it seems it really isn't for the real fans of the artists.

..."People often ask me how I would like to be remembered and I answer that I would simply like to be remembered"...Roy Orbison.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:31 am 

If it's finally up to par, I think this technology may have some good potential. Perhaps not in reviving legends that have passed on, but in setting up mega productions that could be broadcast live throughout the world in one single event. Or, on the other hand, even smaller scale productions could benefit from this technology. Often artists will give a single performance somewhere and, unfortunately, it's usually not in my backyard. Also not every city has its own Ronnie Scott's Jazz club, or a Birchmere. I've often found myself wanting to head down to the Birchmere just to catch that single moment, so I'd be inclined to assist to that single performance from the world's top musicians, "live from ..." locally. And if that could help drive down the ticket prices, then it's all for the better.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:04 am 

dupont62 wrote:
Musicware4u wrote:

Aside from all that, I agree with Rob Bowman. Rob wrote liner notes for CD box sets, one of them won him a grammy for his Otis Redding set. He also did two vinyl and cd sets of Stax/Volt. Paying to see a holographic image is a joke and it seems it really isn't for the real fans of the artists.

..."People often ask me how I would like to be remembered and I answer that I would simply like to be remembered"...Roy Orbison.

It doesn't take a holographic image for great artists to be remembered. Michael Jackson produced that Captain Eo film they showed at Disney Land in 1986. The technology wasn't near what it is today but the crowds loved it. Before that, George Lucas used holographics for Star Wars. "Obi Wan, Your Our Only Hope".. like you didn't know that. If it becomes a trend so be it but it's just another example of AI taking over, in this case, to entertain us. Holographics is all about $$ revenue that any entertainer's can continue to earn dead (estate) or alive. Pretty soon those live movie junket interviews the "stars" have to do one after another to promote a movie, will be all AI with a live interviewer asking the questions.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:18 am 
Premium User

Attachment:
13747.jpg
13747.jpg [ 44.37 KiB | Viewed 617 times ]
“There's an old saying in Tennessee — I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee — that says, fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again.”

After re-watching it definitely looks like someone used computer graphics technology to create a Roy like image rather than taking live concert footage from the past. I wouldn't pay a dime to see or hear that.

Ariston RD11 Superieur, RB250 & Tecnoweight, DV20X2H, LCR MkIII, Dacmagic100, Exposure 2010S2, AS Statement SEs, AS Testaments, PSB GT1s

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:19 am 

Normally I would be against this gimmick-type of project.

However this should not be taken as a replacement or diminishing or a person's legacy.

It is just entertainment, and it just may provide access to thousands of a newer generation to appreciate an artist.

I for one have seen McCartney twice in real life and soon 3 times with the upcoming concert in september.

But through this new technology, put the Beatles, Sinatra or Louis on stage with a REAL LIVE orchestra, and I'll be the first in line to buy tickets.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:26 am 
Premium User

milag wrote:

However this should not be taken as a replacement or diminishing or a person's legacy.

It is just entertainment, and it just may provide access to thousands of a newer generation to appreciate an artist.

I for one have seen McCartney twice in real life and soon 3 times with the upcoming concert in september.

But through this new technology, put the Beatles, Sinatra or Louis on stage with a REAL LIVE orchestra, and I'll be the first in line to buy tickets.

As an entertainment product I get it & I know for every one of me there's 5 that might enjoy it and it'll probably do well. Something about it leaves me cold though with artists who we have a solid sound & video record of. We have an emotional bond to those artists who's work we enjoy. Part of what leaves me cold is they don't seem to have nailed the actual image of Roy. It's close but no cigar - like a really good version of an album vs an overly compressed mp3. By not nailing the image I think it does diminish it somewhat. I'd rather watch a really good cover live. But that's me.

However I do think it'd be fun to watch Beethoven or Mozart walk out on stage and walk up to the podium, crack a few period jokes, describe the idea behind and then conduct one of their own creations in front of the Berlin Philharmonic. But you could do that with a live person in a costume.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:54 am 

shawnwes wrote:
Attachment:
13747.jpg
“There's an old saying in Tennessee — I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee — that says, fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again.”

After re-watching it definitely looks like someone used computer graphics technology to create a Roy like image rather than taking live concert footage from the past. I wouldn't pay a dime to see or hear that.

that's it. It's a Roy like image, not footage of Roy performing and frame by frame a holographic image was created. I would rather see a live really good Roy imitator that lip syncs to Roys actual recording. I see holograph, dinner and desert theatre in the future. The food likely won't be too real either.

-- 19 Aug 2018 10:55 --

milag wrote:

Put them on stage together maybe.. add David Bowie.. no, don't ever do that. :shock: