Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:58 pm 
Offline
Premium User
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2005 9:02 am
Posts: 1264
Location: Hamilton, ON, CA
xs10sl1 wrote:
Wow!!! Another one bites the dust. So very sorry to see yet another Audio retailer close their doors. Planet of Sound's East Toronto (Danforth Ave. & Broadview) location has permanently closed it's doors, this week. It seemed as if the physical location was a good one? But, I guess that online retailers might be permanently disrupting our beloved hobby. Does anyone have any thoughts or an alternate perspective on this? Perhaps, Gunnar can wade in on what has happened to his latest venture?



I added the emphasis to the above question....

Slow news week? Nothing here but endless, irrelevant, waste-of-time speculation. Zzzzzz....

I don't suppose that anyone actually thought of ASKING P.O.S. why the store closed? :roll: :idea:


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:10 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:13 pm
Posts: 365
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
Planet of Sound along with Angie's Audio Corner/American Sound has an extra advantage in audio sales compared to most of their competitors as they are not just retailers but also import & are the distributors of some or much of their gear. Therefore their profit margin is much higher. Unfortunately, their selling prices do not seem to pass on this extra dollar advantage. Regardless, they both have excellent audio lines & seem to know their equipment well. The Broadview location was just not a good one for Planet of Sound. The audio business is not an easy one even in this era when everyone seems to want a turntable & spin vinyl.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:58 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:40 am
Posts: 115
Location: Midtown (Madness) Toronto
sthomas1049 wrote:
iriszizka wrote:
Also little observation: planetofsound seemed to be the only store on queen in that area without a gay pride flag stuck on the front window. I wonder why?


Not sure what this has to do with the topic of the Danforth store closing or what you are eluding to. Many retailers, even ones run/managed by those from the gay community do not display a pride flag during pride weekend. Doesn’t mean anything! I knew a gay woman who ran a couple of cafés throughout Toronto – had staff that was gay. She never displayed a pride flag, she thought it was unprofessional.

It doesn't have anything to do with the topic, I just thought it would be an interesting tidbit to add to the discussion. Depending on my business, i, also, would not want to put a pride flag on display. No harm if it's a private small business that's normal to danforth, like the coffee shops, or a social conscious store like Rexall which has presence on social media, etc... them again, planetofsound also has an Instagram... ah well. I guess it just makes sense, given the context of the median age of the person who buys accuphase, Harbeth speakers.

-- 13 Jul 2018 16:59 --

starman100 wrote:
Planet of Sound along with Angie's Audio Corner/American Sound has an extra advantage in audio sales compared to most of their competitors as they are not just retailers but also import & are the distributors of some or much of their gear. Therefore their profit margin is much higher. Unfortunately, their selling prices do not seem to pass on this extra dollar advantage. Regardless, they both have excellent audio lines & seem to know their equipment well. The Broadview location was just not a good one for Planet of Sound. The audio business is not an easy one even in this era when everyone seems to want a turntable & spin vinyl.

I thought Audio Alliance was the distributor for a large portion (if not all) of planetofsounds products?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:49 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:39 pm
Posts: 142
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
iriszizka wrote:
I thought Audio Alliance was the distributor for a large portion (if not all) of planetofsounds products?


They are. But look up Audio Alliance... :)

Basically POS and AA are related companies. They even share the same Toronto address


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:58 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:55 pm
Posts: 3011
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
Up until a few years ago, Audio Alliance use to be called Planet Of Sound.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:08 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:19 am
Posts: 125
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
I think it's funny people think Broadview and Danforth is a rough area, lol. I live in East York and can tell you it's as tame as can be and property values there are incredibly high and there is very little crime compared to other areas of the city.

Edit - I see this has been covered, lol.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:04 am
Posts: 461
Location: Brampton, ON, CA
Toronto store is still open. Get to listen to https://www.harbeth.co.uk/.Image

_________________
ImageImageImage


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:54 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 5:56 am
Posts: 38
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
AVguy wrote:
xs10sl1 wrote:
Wow!!! Another one bites the dust. So very sorry to see yet another Audio retailer close their doors. Planet of Sound's East Toronto (Danforth Ave. & Broadview) location has permanently closed it's doors, this week. It seemed as if the physical location was a good one? But, I guess that online retailers might be permanently disrupting our beloved hobby. Does anyone have any thoughts or an alternate perspective on this? Perhaps, Gunnar can wade in on what has happened to his latest venture?



I added the emphasis to the above question....

Slow news week? Nothing here but endless, irrelevant, waste-of-time speculation. Zzzzzz....

I don't suppose that anyone actually thought of ASKING P.O.S. why the store closed? :roll: :idea:

I've spoken with Evan, at POS and he shared that "they just didn't have the customers." Thanks for putting in your 2 cents, AVguy; but really your input has been worth a lot less than even that.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:48 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:40 am
Posts: 35
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
I live around the corner from Danforth and when Planet Of Sound opened up a location there I thought "cool, an actual high end audio store on the Danforth, right nearby!"

I found the staff very pleasant to interact with. The store nice, clean and neat. And it was nice for grabbing the occasional new vinyl and especially getting to hear Harbeth speakers which were often set up and playing.

Unfortunately I'd also echo what has been said here about why it probably failed. They never did have many customers; I was often the only one there when I visited.
The offerings also seemed sparse - Harbeth speakers are quite expensive and though they had a few lower priced speakers I'd think a much wider array of different priced gear would have been helpful if they sought to attract anyone but straight up audiophiles. I couldn't see how they were making any money on that store and the writing seemed on the wall fairly early on. When it closed I thought, bummer, looks like our area can't support a high end audio store. But I think people here have identified issues with the store that also doomed it's chances.

Too bad, and sorry to see it go.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:11 am 
Offline
Premium User
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2005 9:02 am
Posts: 1264
Location: Hamilton, ON, CA
xs10sl1 wrote:
AVguy wrote:
xs10sl1 wrote:
Wow!!! Another one bites the dust. So very sorry to see yet another Audio retailer close their doors. Planet of Sound's East Toronto (Danforth Ave. & Broadview) location has permanently closed it's doors, this week. It seemed as if the physical location was a good one? But, I guess that online retailers might be permanently disrupting our beloved hobby. Does anyone have any thoughts or an alternate perspective on this? Perhaps, Gunnar can wade in on what has happened to his latest venture?



I added the emphasis to the above question....

Slow news week? Nothing here but endless, irrelevant, waste-of-time speculation. Zzzzzz....

I don't suppose that anyone actually thought of ASKING P.O.S. why the store closed? :roll: :idea:

I've spoken with Evan, at POS and he shared that "they just didn't have the customers." Thanks for putting in your 2 cents, AVguy; but really your input has been worth a lot less than even that.


Says YOU.....three pages and about 40 posts and tons of speculation later, we actually find out WHY the store closed.
Thanks for taking my advice. I guess it really was a good idea to aask POS why they closed. :lol:


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:59 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 5:56 am
Posts: 38
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
I added the emphasis to the above question....

Slow news week? Nothing here but endless, irrelevant, waste-of-time speculation. Zzzzzz....

I don't suppose that anyone actually thought of ASKING P.O.S. why the store closed? :roll: :idea:[/quote]
I've spoken with Evan, at POS and he shared that "they just didn't have the customers." Thanks for putting in your 2 cents, AVguy; but really your input has been worth a lot less than even that.[/quote]

Says YOU.....three pages and about 40 posts and tons of speculation later, we actually find out WHY the store closed.
Thanks for taking my advice. I guess it really was a good idea to aask POS why they closed. :lol:[/quote]

Not "We," Me and I wasn't asking for your advice! Dude, your too critical and your posts tend to be on the negative. Stop being a big downer.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 7:15 am
Posts: 4754
Location: Newmarket, ON, CA
raindogtrombone wrote:
I live a stone's throw from the Danforth location, and I have to say, I was utterly disappointed by the store. A lot of square footage, and barely anything on display that was over $500. They had none of the higher end headphones or higher end speakers. A very small selection of vinyl. I think they were targeting people with $100-$300 items, but they didn't have nearly enough of the higher end stuff to warrant me going back other than my first visit. Since it opened, I've been to the Queen/Ossington location three more times.


I'm struggling to picture what could possibly fill an audio shop with $100-$300 items. ... room treatment books, posters of Bryston amplifers, replacement stainless steel marbles? :?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Ghn5ue, Google Adsense [Bot] and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group