Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 11:45 am 

3 months ago I bought one of those pricey so-called audiophile fuses. :lol: :roll:

It took 6 weeks to make delivery from the other side of the Atlantic, and when it arrived, I set it aside and forgot all about it until last night. So I plugged it in to the back of my DAC and not expecting much... I have to say I am quite pleasantly surprised. The difference isn't so subtle or merely "different" - but cleaner and clearer, and definitely more spacious.

So are they worth it? I can only speak from my own experience. Yes, absolutely yes!

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 11:55 am 
Premium User

I have learned in over 40 years of this hobby that there are 3 common issues in ANY system at ANY price

1.) POWER
2.) GROUNDING
3.) MECHANICAL ISOLATION

It does not matter if your system is $2500 or $25,000.00 , you will hear the benefits of addressing these three issues.

In my opinion, power is the first among them....

Welcome to the cult.... :twisted:

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 12:14 pm 

Wind Chaser wrote:
3 months ago I bought one of those pricey so-called audiophile fuses. :lol: :roll:

It took 6 weeks to make delivery from the other side of the Atlantic, and when it arrived, I set it aside and forgot all about it until last night. So I plugged it in to the back of my DAC and not expecting much... I have to say I am quite pleasantly surprised. The difference isn't so subtle or merely "different" - but cleaner and clearer, and definitely more spacious.

So are they worth it? I can only speak from my own experience. Yes, absolutely yes!

So what is the brand of your new fuse if you don’t mind...thanks!

-- 17 May 2018 20:15 --

vinylbrother wrote:
I have learned in over 40 years of this hobby that there are 3 common issues in ANY system at ANY price

1.) POWER
2.) GROUNDING
3.) MECHANICAL ISOLATION

It does not matter if your system is $2500 or $25,000.00 , you will hear the benefits of addressing these three issues.

In my opinion, power is the first among them....

Welcome to the cult.... :twisted:
dont want to derail the thread but how do you address the grounding?

Rega RP6 + Dynavector 10x5 > Simaudio Moon Neo 310LP

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 12:56 pm 

yrogins wrote:
Wind Chaser wrote:

So what is the brand of your new fuse if you don’t mind...thanks!

Hi-Fi Tuning Supreme, about 40 quid delivered from across the pond.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 1:51 pm 

I haven't tried them but lets assume they work.
Where do they work best? Amp? DAC? PRE?
Do you need to replace all the fuses to hear the benefits?
Does it void the warranty (I'd think it does)?

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 2:04 pm 

Well neither my speakers or amps have fuses so that leaves my DAC. I think it’s always a good idea to start upstream, see what happens and then move further down the line from there.

All I can say is I wasn’t expecting anything like the performance hit I’m getting from this tiny little fuse. I find it quite amazing really.

As for warranty, I hadn’t thought of that, it would suck to lose that benefit, but there’s no going back to the stock fuse for me. If I have to choose between sound quality and warranty, then goodbye warranty.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 2:22 pm 

Wind Chaser wrote:
Well neither my speakers or amps have fuses so that leaves my DAC. I think it’s always a good idea to start upstream, see what happens and then move further down the line from there.

All I can say is I wasn’t expecting anything like the performance hit I’m getting from this tiny little fuse. I find it quite amazing really.

As for warranty, I hadn’t thought of that, it would suck to lose that benefit, but there’s no going back to the stock fuse for me. If I have to choose between sound quality and warranty, then goodbye warranty.

If you don't mind my asking, what amps do you own?. Nothing to do with the thread but I've owned a pile of amps and never had one that wasn't fused so I'm curious.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:13 pm 

"From skepticism to OMG"

Just curious, are we talking "skepticism" as in quietly pondering?, or as in posts regularly that anyone who believes such a thing is manifestly demented (applies to "audiophiles" generally)?

:wink:

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:15 pm 

KJT1 wrote:
Wind Chaser wrote:

If you don't mind my asking, what amps do you own?. Nothing to do with the thread but I've owned a pile of amps and never had one that wasn't fused so I'm curious.

Some amps (Accuphase for instance) do not have user serviceable fuses.

Rega RP6 + Dynavector 10x5 > Simaudio Moon Neo 310LP

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 4:23 pm 

I vainly hope that someone will one day try my cheap tweak of putting a couple of blackboard erasers under a component. I have two under my Naim Atom and hear a marked difference. What could be better to absorb harmful vibrations than an inch or so of tangled, matted felt. Soft side contacts the component. Teachers might find this a convenient experiment..

Attachment:
4D2785E4-33C4-4B30-BD62-F1A45F4A76B4.jpeg
4D2785E4-33C4-4B30-BD62-F1A45F4A76B4.jpeg [ 216.32 KiB | Viewed 1430 times ]

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 5:01 pm 

milesian wrote:
I vainly hope that someone will one day try my cheap tweak of putting a couple of blackboard erasers under a component. I have two under my Naim Atom and hear a marked difference. What could be better to absorb harmful vibrations than an inch or so of tangled, matted felt. Soft side contacts the component. Teachers might find this a convenient experiment..

Attachment:
The attachment 4D2785E4-33C4-4B30-BD62-F1A45F4A76B4.jpeg is no longer available

I don't have any blackboard erasers but I find these work well. I figure even if they don't help the sound that they would help with component fatigue be quelling vibrations.

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 167.61 KiB | Viewed 1400 times ]

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 5:12 pm 

FoculPods for cd player/transport ... want better serious bucks ... or springs

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 5:43 pm 

[/quote]dont want to derail the thread but how do you address the grounding?[/quote]

There are some amazing products from Entreq that will take care of the ground from your components. Those ground boxes are like black hole that will suck away the ground.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 6:56 pm 

mahatma1 wrote:
I haven't tried them but lets assume they work.
Where do they work best? Amp? DAC? PRE?
Do you need to replace all the fuses to hear the benefits?
Does it void the warranty (I'd think it does)?

I have a new Air Tight ATM1-S tube amp, and have pricey NOS power tubes and preamp tubes, which made a huge difference over the stock tubes. Then I installed a Synergistic Research Black fuse in the amp. Made a bigger improvement in the sound quality than the NOS tubes did and cost a fraction of what the tubes cost.

I bought my fuse from the same dealer I purchased my amp from. I cannot speak to how it effects warranties for other devices, but in my case no issue. As long as your new fuse is exact same specs it should not be an issue. My dealer has customers with $350K systems who are stunned by the change the fuse makes and surprised that a comparatively low cost upgrade can at times outstrip the benefit of much pricier cables, isolation, etc.

Watch Paul McGowan of PS Audio talk about how good upgraded fuses are, and no he does not know either why they are so effective but he too is a believer after hearing the difference fuses made to the gear he designs.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kFlnQ1chBno

-- 18 May 2018 03:06 --

b3733366 wrote:
"From skepticism to OMG"

Just curious, are we talking "skepticism" as in quietly pondering?, or as in posts regularly that anyone who believes such a thing is manifestly demented (applies to "audiophiles" generally)?

You’ll have to tell Paul McGowan he is demented too. He does not get it either and was a skeptic, but is a believer after hearing the effect on the PS Audio gear he designs. We are all skeptics as long as we never try new things and believe the other experts who have not tried them either. We are all experts until proven otherwise...

Here is McGowan talking about fuses — https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kFlnQ1chBno

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 2:59 am 

b3733366 wrote:
"From skepticism to OMG"

Demented is such a harsh word and one that I have never seen used to describe audiophiles of any sort. Lets not forget that there are much kinder antonyms that can be used for genuine audiophiles.