Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:34 am 

I have most data stuff stored in the cloud, but would like an actual harddrive type of storage for files, music, and pictures.

Everything is Apple based (macmini, airmac, ipad, iphone) so something that speaks apple is probably handy.

I synch everything to the macmini about once a month and would likely back up from there to a physical harddrive.

Im not too concerned with price, but simple, versatile, easy for a nontech like me to setup and use is important.

Cheers,

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:41 am 

I use three 3.5" 7200 rpm 4TB drives to store my data. Two of them are backups.

I use SuperDuper! software to manage the backups. ( I also use Carbon Copy Cloner if I am backing up a boot disc. )

I bought the drives and the enclosures from Other World Computing in the USA. They were all sale items -- open box, refurb, overstock -- and as cheap as I could get them. OWC has a "garage sale" every month.

If your Mini is older than 2014 you will have to choose between FireWire 800 and USB3 connections, or both, on the drive enclosure. From 2014 to now, USB3 is about your only choice and the enclosure will be cheaper. You could in principle use the Thunderbolt port, but TB drives are too expensive for me, and I don't need the speed.

Hard drives are now made by only two companies in the world, but FWIW I have had problems with Seagate and no problems with HGST and Hitachi. The OWC enclosures I use are the Mercury Elite Pro model.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:45 am 

Toby wrote:
I use three 3.5" 7200 rpm 4TB drives to store my data. Two of them are backups.

I use SuperDuper! software to manage the backups. ( I also use Carbon Copy Cloner if I am backing up a boot disc. )

I bought the drives and the enclosures from Other World Computing in the USA. They were all sale items -- open box, refurb, overstock -- and as cheap as I could get them. OWC has a "garage sale" every month.

If your Mini is older than 2014 you will have to choose between FireWire 800 and USB3 connections, or both, on the drive enclosure. From 2014 to now, USB3 is about your only choice and the enclosure will be cheaper. You could in principle use the Thunderbolt port, but TB drives are too expensive for me, and I don't need the speed.

Hard drives are now made by only two companies in the world, but FWIW I have had problems with Seagate and no problems with HGST and Hitachi. The OWC enclosures I use are the Mercury Elite Pro model.

Thanks Toby! Everything is newer than 2014.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:03 am 

FWIW, my digital music system is all Apple as well. As I ripped more discs, I continually ran out of HD space. A colleague recommended an xMac server by Sonnet Technologies in California http://www.sonnettech.com/product/xmacminiserver.html The server has space for a Mac Mini and some cards. It uses Thunderbolt data bus as well as USB 3.0 to connect to the drive array. I set up 2 x Fusion R400 RAID boxes http://www.sonnettech.com/product/legacyproducts/fusionr400raidusb3.html and put 4 x 4Tb WD Red NAS drives in one box and 4 x 6Tb in a second, set up as a RAID 10 enclosure. My plan was to put all my media one this server. The first step went well, I set up the RAID 10 and was streaming music. When I purchased the second Fusion, it wouldn't recognize one of the 4 drives...I talked to their customer service, sent the box back to California for service, it came back and still wasn't working...they finally quit responding to my emails and I gave up on them. Not in my opinion, how to run an IT type company that sells equipment into the pro market.

I've given up on the second Fusion R400 box. I will take it to the Apple store to see if they can make it connect. The devices are slick looking and are 19" rack mounts...so too big for the living room. Each box has fan cooling (one fan has died already) so it is noisy if you don't have an office to hide them away in.
Last comment, and I think this is an Apple thing...my music player(s) are both Mac Mini's in different areas and the player continues to drop the connection with the server. Each album, I have to go in and point it to the RAID array with my music. I never had this problem when I was using a Windows server.

I thought paying top dollar for the xMac/Fusion set up would buy me stability and rock solid performance...and perhaps I just got a lemon. YMMV.

It is an option for larger scale music systems.

cheers,

Paul

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:32 am 

Well then, here's an OWC drive enclosure that would work.

mber wrote:
Everything is newer than 2014.

You can get your enclosure with a drive already installed, of course. I only installed my own because it's a simple operation and it saved a little money.

I strongly recommend you get two drives. Backup is cheap compared to the expense involved in losing your data.

-- 17 Jan 2018 14:39 --

This must be very discouraging.

pollypocket wrote:
my music player(s) are both Mac Mini's in different areas and the player continues to drop the connection with the server. Each album, I have to go in and point it to the RAID array with my music.

Paul, I suppose you have tried all the configuration options you could. The problem as you describe it brings to mind some posts on Macintouch, and I seem to remember a solution's being proposed for a similar situation.

Nothing specific, unfortunately, since I didn't need to retain the info at the time.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:27 am 

I second the Super Duper! backup. Works for me for many years, 4 Macs Pro and MacBook. Internal and external drives. Nightly backup on all but MacBook. Also, on the Mac Pros separate drive for Time machine backup. Since Super Duper! creates bootable copy of startup drive I have no use for Carbon Copy, but I hear good things about it. Make sure SUper Duper is config correctly. Once I made the mistake (in order to avoid fragmentation) to set it to erase backup drive & do fresh backup from scratch every night. One night the main drive died right after Super Duper erased the backup drive! Select "smart update" option, this way the bacup drive does not get erased only modified files are updated.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:04 pm 

I do not use the cloud (conspiracy theorist thing...or whatever) I prefer to have my files remain under my control.

I have 2 DNS-343
ShareCenter 4-Bay Network Storage Enclosure that keeps everything backed up regularlry, but i also have archived bluray copies in case a drive craps out.

the archiving took a bit of time at the onset, but now it's a breeze

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:12 pm 

I use cloud as one of many backup solutions, not to mention the benefits of having access where ever I am. But just to comment on your conspiracy, I know for fact that your financial institution (regardless of who you bank with) uses the same cloud storage as I do for backing up photos of my cat!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:22 pm 

sthomas1049 wrote:
I use cloud as one of many backup solutions, not to mention the benefits of having access where ever I am. But just to comment on your conspiracy, I know for fact that your financial institution (regardless of who you bank with) uses the same cloud storage as I do for backing up photos of my cat!

LOL I know, I know

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:30 pm 

sthomas1049 wrote:

I keep photos of my cat in my safety deposit box in the bank's vault, so that circle just closed!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:57 pm 

Hi,

Regarding Toby's remarks - every hard-drive I have ever owned that failed was a Seagate.

Toby wrote: 'I strongly recommend you get two drives. Backup is cheap compared to the expense involved in losing your data.'

++++++ to that!

Cheers,
David Neice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:50 pm 

Carbon Copy Cloner has one additional function SuperDuper! doesn't have.

Bandy wrote:
Since Super Duper! creates bootable copy of startup drive I have no use for Carbon Copy, but I hear good things about it.

When cloning a boot drive, CCC will offer to clone the recovery partition as well — something SD doesn't do.

This advantage is moot for the OP, of course, and CCC is a bit more expensive than SD.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:57 pm 

Toby wrote:
Carbon Copy Cloner has one additional function SuperDuper! doesn't have.

Bandy wrote:
Since Super Duper! creates bootable copy of startup drive I have no use for Carbon Copy, but I hear good things about it.

When cloning a boot drive, CCC will offer to clone the recovery partition as well — something SD doesn't do.

This advantage is moot for the OP, of course, and CCC is a bit more expensive than SD.

Thanks Toby, good to know.