Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Help with Digital
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:40 am 

Hello I want to find a local person in the GTA area were I can call and ask questions on my iMac computer with itunes and should I have apple lossless etc. The more I keep reading the more confused I get.
I would really appreciate someone that can direct me in setting up my digital part of my system

Thanks in advance

Post subject: Re: Help with Digital
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:53 am 

Yes, I'd suggest to keep all your music in lossless format. What version of OS and iTunes are you using? Do you want your music on your iPhone or elsewhere?
How do you stream your music to amplification/speakers etc?

Feel free to PM

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:11 am 

Hello Bandy, The version imac is OS X 10..9.5. I have done nothing just purchased the Mac and bought a couple artists from itunes so very limited but plan to really get a library going.So this is why I am asking for help

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:35 pm 

iTunes can import CD's in WAV. or flac , 1,411 kbps bit rate 16 bit sampling 44.100kHz . iPod and iPhone will also store music in wav ( I know this for myself) In the menus' do not check box for higher bit rate 256 or lossless any thing .. You can choose wav or flack from menu for import settings . As for the sound not to bad .

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:21 pm 

noodles_07 wrote:
iTunes can import CD's in WAV. or flac , 1,411 kbps bit rate 16 bit sampling 44.100kHz . iPod and iPhone will also store music in wav ( I know this for myself) In the menus' do not check box for higher bit rate 256 or lossless any thing .. You can choose wav or flack from menu for import settings . As for the sound not to bad .

This is news to me that iTunes now can import in FLAC format... Apple uses Apple Lossless, typically labelled as ALAC tho the file extensions is .m4a -- confusing as that is also the extension for the lossy format, at 256kpbs bit-rate.

To the OP: How many CD's do you have that you would like to import into iTunes, or are you truly starting anew?

~A

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:20 am 

aizmtbr, I just have one complete download, But what to make sure I am starting correctly.

Ok you say apple uses apple lossless, so that means I have apple lossless now right on my imac and downloading itunes ??? or do I have to download lossless ?? this is where I get confused

Thanks for you help

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:46 am 

diddles wrote:
aizmtbr, I just have one complete download, But what to make sure I am starting correctly.

Ok you say apple uses apple lossless, so that means I have apple lossless now right on my imac and downloading itunes ??? or do I have to download lossless ?? this is where I get confused

Thanks for you help

For digital music you have uncompressed and compressed files with the later coming in 2 different formats of lossless compression and lossy compression.

Lossless is a term to describe a type of compression that allows the data to be perfectly reconstructed from the compressed data. So despite the data is compressed, there is no loss of information.

Lossy is a term to describe a type of compression that removes information from the data during the compression. Complex algorithms are used to determine what data is to be removed.

For audio, the 2 most common lossless files are FLAC (Free Lossless Audio Codec) and ALAC (Apple Lossless Audio Codec). FLAC has a filename extension of .flac where as ALAC has a filename extension of .m4a.

There are many lossy file types but 2 common ones are MP3 and AAC (Advanced Audio Coding). MP3 has a filename extension of .mp3. AAC has many filename extensions including .m4a which can be confusing to some users for it is the same as ALAC. Music purchased from iTunes is in the AAC lossy format and to my knowledge you cannot purchase lossless files from iTunes. Someone will have to confirm this for I do not use iTunes.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:58 am 

Had a brief conversation with diddles – the confusion is what is supported with iTunes vs what can be purchased from iTunes. I don’t use iTunes so hoping others can chime in if lossless and or uncompressed audio files can be purchased from Apple. The internet says no!

There is also some confusion if OSX natively supports FLAC or not. Apparently the new iPhones now natively support FLAC so the logical assumption would be that iTunes will also natively support FLAC. But I have yet to confirm this.

Saying that, diddles is also looking to purchase lossless or uncompressed audio files. So to keep it safe, looking for recommendations for sites that offer ALAC or uncompressed audio that is supported within iTunes.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:07 am 

Thank you sthomas1049 that would be helpful to receive some information back on your post here

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:49 am 

this might be helpful. Have often found some restrictions for downloads in Canada but tried out a few from the first link and were able to purchase.
http://www.sony.ca/en/electronics/best- ... -res-audio

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:58 am 

mpublicover, Thank you for that link. Have you down loaded some of their music ?? if so how is the sound. I would be interested to know

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:19 am 

diddles wrote:
mpublicover, Thank you for that link. Have you down loaded some of their music ?? if so how is the sound. I would be interested to know

Thanks

I only have a few tracks that were offered for free in ALAC. For the price of them I just purchase the vinyl.
Through the system I listen to them on I honestly can't tell the difference between Airplay to my dac, which reduces them to 16/44 or through USB which retains the 24/192. Perhaps a difference would present through a more resolving set up.
I have this set. Worth the $5 for sure to try it out. Just change the format to ALAC and give it a try.
http://www.hdtracks.com/miscellaneous/a ... ler-136024
I haven't purchased anything in digital in some time now. I am content to access it through Tidal or Slacker.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:26 am 

Diddles – what DAC are you using? This also plays an important role on what is supported. Pretty much every modern DAC support resolutions up to 24bit 192khz, but some do not. So you don’t want to purchase a high resolution file if you cannot play them.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:30 am 

I am currently looking for a dac, Bryston BDA 2 OR 3 and and PS audio so yes in the early stages of going digital.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:34 am 

diddles wrote:
I am currently looking for a dac, Bryston BDA 2 OR 3 and and PS audio so yes in the early stages of going digital.

Cool! Both Bryston’s and the PS Audio support up to 24 bit 192 khz. Just didn’t want you to purchase hi-res music if your DAC did not support those frequencies.