Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:03 pm 

Just ordered my first dac, should arrive in a week or so. Not to open a contentious issue, but what would be an acceptable Mini to rca cable for my modest tube amp and also USB cable for connecting my iMac. I've been subscribed to Tidal for about a 8 months and really like it. A brand name or description would be helpful as I am in Canada and will most likely be ordering online. I'm not a headphone guy, but will play through my Yaqin tube amp.

Anyone have any impressions on the explorer 2?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:28 pm 

Hi
I would suggest Kimber or Audioquest, in whichever price range you choose.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:17 pm 

Saskatuner wrote:
Just ordered my first dac, should arrive in a week or so. Not to open a contentious issue, but what would be an acceptable Mini to rca cable for my modest tube amp and also USB cable for connecting my iMac. I've been subscribed to Tidal for about a 8 months and really like it. A brand name or description would be helpful as I am in Canada and will most likely be ordering online. I'm not a headphone guy, but will play through my Yaqin tube amp.

Moose Jaw! I have relatives there. (Insert pause as I recompose. ;) )

As for your question all the cable has to do is carry ones and zeros a couple of feet or so so any brand will handle that without error. If you can get Tidal into your home after travelling hundreds of miles over a telephone/cable connection an ordinary USB or RCA cable should be able to handle the last few feet without issue. I know MJ has several places that sell them. Unless yours are falling apart they will work too.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:38 pm 

HatMan wrote:
Saskatuner wrote:

Moose Jaw! I have relatives there. (Insert pause as I recompose. ;) )

As for your question all the cable has to do is carry ones and zeros a couple of feet or so so any brand will handle that without error. If you can get Tidal into your home after travelling hundreds of miles over a telephone/cable connection an ordinary USB or RCA cable should be able to handle the last few feet without issue. I know MJ has several places that sell them. Unless yours are falling apart they will work too.

The RCA cable isn't carrying 1's and 0's, it is an analog output on the headphone jack of the E2

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:56 pm 

Saskatuner wrote:

Kimber has the GQ Mini 3.5-dual RCA's. For the money it is exceptional. There is also their BBUS CU that works very well. If you want to move up to the AG version of the USB you can. The Canadian Kimber Dist is in Toronto.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:48 am 

I have the same Dac and use a custom cable from Take Five Audio in Ontario.

https://www.takefiveaudio.com/categorie ... onal-audio

I might also suggest you pick up an AQ Jitterbug, plus a cheap adapter to replace the USB cable that comes with the Meridian.

Attachment:
IMG_0697.JPG
IMG_0697.JPG [ 16.99 KiB | Viewed 2628 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:43 am 

I have used Zu Pivot cables in this configuration, since they were first introduced some years ago. They made a nice difference at the time, but they can be bettered ( for more than I remember paying, natch ).

This is an analog cable. Use the shortest one you can without putting any strain on the connections.