Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:56 pm 

I had been toying with the idea of getting pair of wireless headphones for awhile and these came up in the local advertiser for $100.

I live in a trailer that was re-modeled and extended by people who normally work with chain saws and thick cables. However the laundry room is next to the kitchen/livingroom and they must have hired an acoustical engineer to capture and project every decibel and nuance of washing machine noise that it is possible to amplify. Designers of folded horn speakers could learn from the installation.

The main stereo here cost about about $15,000 to assemble, not counting failed experiments, and these headphones do not sound better than the stereo. However they sound much better than the stereo when it is combined with washing machine noise.

These are not "noise cancelling headphones" but I was hoping that they would provide enough acoustic isolation to silence the washing machine noise and to provide a decent listening experience. The acoustic isolation is OK. I can hear the washing machine when it is in the spin cycle, but it is not obtrusive and it is painless.

The sound quality is pretty darn good. There is detail and musicality. I was expecting bluetooth but they transmit with a 2.4 gHz: 2.408 GHz – 2.473 GHz; MSK Modulation signal. (Copied) In this location it starts to break up at about 75 feet, with metal obstructions.

The charging/transmitter tower is connected to tape out jacks on the preamp with 2 metre Atlas Equator 3's. They are too heavy for the unit but their length was needed.

Conclusion: I was not seeking "hifi" but the sound is much better than expected, and it is only minimally compromised by the transmission and conversions. These are headphones so there is more immediacy and less spaciousness than there is with the stereo speakers, of course. Lucked out. Good sound.

https://docs.sony.com/release//specs/MDRDS6500_mksp.pdf