Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:52 am 

Headphones are kind of like automobiles. You need to find one that works and one that you can afford, but always looking for the next best thing! NAD and I have been together longer than my wife and I (in which we just celebrated our 30th year). For the dollar value, I place them near the very top.

With reference to their HP50 headphones, I too found them very good. Similar to their sister PSB M4U but different. In the last 3-4 years I must have had 30+ different headphones, trying to find the one that fits best with regards to price, comfort and sound. The issue I had with the NAD was pressure. After about 20 minutes of wearing these, it felt like my head was about to blast off! I could not bear to wear them for more than 20+ minutes. However they were good.....until I moved on to Grado.

I have had the 225, 325, RS1, RS2, PS500, GH2 and the famous 80's. All great in their own way, but for a old time rock n roll listener, I settled on the PS-500e. One of the best bang-for-dollar headphones that one can buy that works for me. Grado is starting to find itself in the same position to me as NAD. I cannot say enough good things about them. I'm amazed at what they can do!

Currently testing out the new Focal Elegia and I will let you know how that works. My advice would be keeping trying, spending within your means, and you too will find what works for you.

Still love NAD and will continue to support their product, not to mention the many pieces in my collection!

Rega Planar 3/Nagaoka MP-11/Technics SL-7/SL-V5/Grado Black/NAD C725BEE/NAD C545BEE/NAD 613/NAD PP2/NAD DAC1/NAD HP20/Teac UD-301/Teac PD-H300/Totem Arro/Technics SL-MC7/Sony MDR-1000X/Grado PS-500e/ Focal Elegia/FiiO Q1 II/JDS Element

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:03 pm 

Not to change the subject but you mentioned the P7s being a little "thick" in the midrange...i have the P5s because i got a KILLER deal on them.....ok ill tell you, i paid 40 bucks and they are MINT with box.....anyway, i love them...i had listened to the HD598s and really liked them as well but was wondering if maybe the P9s might be the best bang for the buck so to speak....ive yet to hear the P7s. Should mention that im currently using a fiio x1 gen 3.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:15 pm 

You MUST try the B&W P5 Series 2!

With a TOTAL redesign of the P5 driver, they are, IMHO, startlingly good......they, I feel, are the best bang-for-the-buck.

The P7's are also very good, but a tad pricey.

The P 9's I have not heard......the price quite honestly is outta my league.

Cheers, del Sol

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:32 pm 

del Sol wrote:
You MUST try the B&W P5 Series 2!

With a TOTAL redesign of the P5 driver, they are, IMHO, startlingly good......they, I feel, are the best bang-for-the-buck.

The P7's are also very good, but a tad pricey.

The P 9's I have not heard......the price quite honestly is outta my league.

Cheers, del Sol

I was able to audition a pair of P9's very briefly. They did some things very well, but are perhaps the most bass heavy headphone I have ever heard. The quality and tonality of that bass however was maybe the best I have ever heard from a closed back headphone. I wanted to spend a lot more time with them.