Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:58 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 6:26 pm 

I recently purchased some Campfire Audio Comet Earphones/IEMs and they are awesome! For under $300 CAD you can get a pair of excellent IEMs that can be driven with a smartphone but definitely respond to a higher quality headphone amp and/or source.

I have Sennheiser HD650s and the Mr. Speaker Aeon Flow (Closed) which fit in really well with the CA Comets since they too have a slightly warmer sound signature while still presenting detail across all frequencies. Another thing I really enjoy with these is their bass and how natural they sound.

I was curious if there was anyone out there with a pair of CA Comets that wanted to post their thoughts. I also wanted to post a positive review to encourage any CAM members that were thinking about these IEMs that they are at least in my mind a very good buy!

Cheers,
Daniel.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 3:28 am 

I am in the market for an IEM in that price range. Used Cardas 8 30th anniversary were at the top of my list. Will have to try these out. The new over ear closed back from Campfire look intriguing as well. Direct competitor to the Aeon Flow as they have an identical list price. Consider me encouraged.

Have you ever used your Aeon Flow for portable duties?

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 4:06 am 

dlodewyk wrote:
I recently purchased some Campfire Audio Comet Earphones/IEMs and they are awesome! For under $300 CAD you can get a pair of excellent IEMs that can be driven with a smartphone but definitely respond to a higher quality headphone amp and/or source.

I have Sennheiser HD650s and the Mr. Speaker Aeon Flow (Closed) which fit in really well with the CA Comets since they too have a slightly warmer sound signature while still presenting detail across all frequencies. Another thing I really enjoy with these is their bass and how natural they sound.

I was curious if there was anyone out there with a pair of CA Comets that wanted to post their thoughts. I also wanted to post a positive review to encourage any CAM members that were thinking about these IEMs that they are at least in my mind a very good buy!

Cheers,
Daniel.

Very nice. Was aware of Campfire’s other offerings, Andromeda, Polaris and Orion, and although intrigued, I formed a biased opinion that their aggressive styling may contribute to discomfort. Seems Campfire has addressed this with a smaller yet more rounded housing. Love the fact the cables can be replaced! Don’t think I will ever buy another IEM that has a hardwired cable - just for the simple fact this is the first point of failure regardless of quality.

I am currently using Shure SE846 which I think are absolutely amazing! But at a price many are not willing to fork over for a pair of universal IEM’s. Keep telling myself my next pair of IEM’s will be of a custom mold, perhaps JH Audio. But should I ever fail to resist temptation to try something new, I’ll be sure to put these on my list to check out. Thanks for sharing!

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 12:14 pm 

An interesting new look for Campfire, and cool that they are stainless.

I have owned a couple of sets of single BA iems. Weston UM10's, Shure 215's, etc.

A journey into a quality multi BA iem changed my perspective on them - in my case the gateway was the NuForce HEM8's.

I am currently loving an old set of Noble 5's (that became the Dulce Bass model).

Single BA iems do a great job at presenting a coherent stage for me - but the added bass depth of multi BA's always wins me over longer term.

Still think those Comets are a very cool addition to the Campfire family.

Mark in Burlington

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 12:49 pm 

mcgsxr wrote:
An interesting new look for Campfire, and cool that they are stainless.

I have owned a couple of sets of single BA iems. Weston UM10's, Shure 215's, etc.

A journey into a quality multi BA iem changed my perspective on them - in my case the gateway was the NuForce HEM8's.

I am currently loving an old set of Noble 5's (that became the Dulce Bass model).

Single BA iems do a great job at presenting a coherent stage for me - but the added bass depth of multi BA's always wins me over longer term.

Still think those Comets are a very cool addition to the Campfire family.

Of course the Shure se215 is a single dynamic driver not BA.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 3:52 am 

Good point about the Shure. I have more experience with BA iems, but do own one set of dynamics.

I bought my daughter a set of 1More triple drivers (2 BA’s and 1 dynamic driver) and she loves them.

Mark in Burlington

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 3:56 pm 

good sound wrote:
I am in the market for an IEM in that price range. Used Cardas 8 30th anniversary were at the top of my list. Will have to try these out. The new over ear closed back from Campfire look intriguing as well. Direct competitor to the Aeon Flow as they have an identical list price. Consider me encouraged.

Have you ever used your Aeon Flow for portable duties?

I have taken the Aeon Flows with me on a drive before and went absolutely crazy as all I could hear was road noise, and it was in my girlfriend's Honda Civic that isn't particularly bad with road noise. Usually I find that the Aeon Flow (Closed) are pretty good at isolation from my experiences listening at home with the dishwater on, ect. but I haven't really taken them out of the house.

I was looking for a portable solution and was looking at the B&W PX Wireless headphones and was about to pull the trigger when I thought about IEM's and the isolation that they could provide. I was just going to jump on so Etymotic IEM but I decided to do some shopping and I liked the look, price and the Campfire Audio Brand so I decided to support them instead.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 4:28 pm 

Thanks for sharing, Daniel! These seem like they could be right up my alley.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:38 am 

Bought a second pair since I like them so much and I have been using these at work where I roast coffee so a lot of movement and sweat so I am beating them up. The new pair will be for at home listening and on the road listening, while the old pair will continue to be abused at work.

The second pair sounds even better. Make sense at a company like Campfire Audio where they are continually improving.

Also these low cost earphones get the royal treatment and have the upgraded driver mesh protector and a nice carrying case.

I think I will eventually be buying some of their high-end products, likely the Solaris IEM.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:59 am 

Bought a pair of Comets at TAF at a decent discount. They just sound better than they have any right to for that kind of money. So natural and yet excellent resolution. Extended highs with no unnatural brightness or harshness. I am enamored with them.

Was also able to audition the Cascade at TAF. Wish I could have had a little more time with them as I was somewhat underwhelmed by their sound driven directly from my V20 in high impedance mode. Just not the best pairing or perhaps this particular pair was not fully broken in.

I too purchased a pair of OneMore triple that my daughter is now using. She loves them too, but to my ears the Campfire Audio Comet is a full level up on the Triple's on basically every level. Of course someone else's mileage may vary.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:04 pm 

I have had my Comets for 2-3 months now and totally impressed by them
I see no reason that I’ll be spending more money for another pair of earphones
I use my 1More triple drivers at work, inexpensive KZ ZS10 at the lake but the Comets are my at home quality listening earphones

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:01 pm 

13gsc13 wrote:
I have had my Comets for 2-3 months now and totally impressed by them
I see no reason that I’ll be spending more money for another pair of earphones
I use my 1More triple drivers at work, inexpensive KZ ZS10 at the lake but the Comets are my at home quality listening earphones

Dito