Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:29 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:22 am 

Hey everybody,

Not sure if any of you are fans of Soft Machine. http://www.softmachine.org

I discovered them just last year and their 70's onward vinyl is excellent, IMHO. They will be selling their latest release on special coloured vinly at the show, I have read. People that like to chase hard to find records will have these guys stuff.

Anyway, they will be playing at The Garrison, 1197 Dundas St W tonight at 7 PM.

I was so excited when I discovered the event from Spotify and didnt want to miss the chance to see these exceptional artists with an incredible history. The venue is a bar/restaurant, not concert seating, and they seat max 175 people.

Anyway I have to let them scan my phone for entry and after my brother and 2 best friends couldnt go and then brother-in-law and wife just not into the genre, I dont want to waste the spot.

Anyway this is a very rare opportunity and if you wish to attend PM me asap. We can meet out front and you're on your own inside no worries, or just buy me a drink lol. Beledo is also amazing btw, in a line with Weather Report, Chick Corea...

Last edited by racecars on Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:59 am 

Checked out the website, looks more like a Soft Machine tribute band.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:10 am 

Medtech wrote:

No, this is part of Soft Machine's 50th Anniversary USA Tour plus Beledo.

https://softmachine.org/tour-news/on-tour

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:13 am 

Medtech wrote:

The bands earliest incarnation was in 1966. As with many bands that have existed so long especially in the eclectic jazz fusion realm there have been personnel come and go. Babbington, Marshall and Etheridge first collaborated together in 1976 for the album Softs. Marshall has been with the group and its incarnations continuously since 1974.

They had also performed as Soft Machine Legacy until 2015 when somehow they return to the original name. They have 3 albums on Spotify as well.

Elton Dean who was the previous alto sax multi instrumentalist, was replaced with Theo Travis in 2007.

Last edited by racecars on Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:16 am 

brf wrote:
Medtech wrote:

Ya, I get that, I'm just a first 3 albums kinda guy.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:25 am 

Medtech wrote:
brf wrote:
Medtech wrote:

Ya, I get that, I'm just a first 3 albums kinda guy.

I hope that is meant tongue in cheek or you just don't know. :roll: Or, you're a critic :lol:

I guess they are false advertising since one guy is with the group 44 years, two others 42 years and one just around 11 years. But then again if the band originally formed in '66 they could have gone for 52 years. :lol:

Listening to Beledo at the moment and that is some awesome cool jazz!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:36 am 

Hi I would love to go. I live in Thornhill. Thanks Gary .

Last edited by Garyholmes_10 on Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:25 am 

Text message sent. I'd suggest edit that post and delete your number immediately. If you dont text back shortly I'll call you. I'll be downtown quite a bit earlier so we could just meet at the door. Texting preferred.

Edit- your cell phone must be off and you don't have voicemail. In all fairness this is your very first post here so I don't hold anything until contact, ticket is available until I post it is gone.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:54 pm 

Still available

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:29 pm 

Apart from the sax/keyboard player this is the lineup from mid seventies soft machine. Specifically the album softs which John Etheridge played on.
He is a remarkable guitar player and it would be worth seeing this new incarnation live just to see him play.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:24 pm 

Im ar the venue still receive pms.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:56 pm 

Not sure if you ended up with a "taker" but just wanted to say that was very cool of you to offer the ticket.

Hope it was a good concert.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:36 pm 

The show was incredible. The first performer was Beledo, a formidable artist himself. His fusion guitar style and sounds are awesome, and for this night he played with two local musicians on drum and bass and they too were phenomenal.

Soft Machine had their drummer replaced with Gary Husband, an in-demand artist on their first performance with him standing in. Being a drummer myself, it was truly enjoyable to see and hear. Babbington on Bass first played in the band in '71 and Marshal in '72, and Etheridge in '75. The sax, flute and keyboards are Theo Travis, very talented multi-instrumentalist.

I should have offered this earlier. Sorry there Gary, I called you twice about an hour or more apart and you don't have voicemail or text messaging. Also, I had requested you PM me.

I can lead a horse to water but I can't make him drink.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:31 am 

Medtech wrote:

First venue of tour review in NYC. Better explains the personnel evolution. Plus, a link to stream the new album which I thoroughly enjoyed.

http://www.brooklynvegan.com/soft-machi ... llery-1=21

They are back in the US playing in Buffalo tonight and working their way to Minnesota. This Feb they will be in Scottsdale, then off to the Close to the Edge cruise with a bunch of other prog artists. I'd drive to Buffalo tonight if it wasn't going to snow, plus traffic .
There is a possibility I will see them in Scottsdale though since my sister has a home close to the venue they are playing and I just need to arrange.

PS- I'd probably give my left nut to sit in with them for a session, but that'll never happen! I'll just stick with my practice pads.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:45 pm 

Been listening to this band since the first record came out and I own just about everything ever released by the group under its various names. Lots of great material from past members too in various bands and projects....

Really looking forward to hearing this new on once I get my hands on it.

Personally I have no problem with them calling themselves Soft Machine with this current line up. Big fan of each of the current member's work in the group and in their many many other projects.

My favourite period by far though is Third through to Seven. Absolutely love those records. Lots of incredible live material is available representing those records as well.....

Only ever saw them once and that was when Alan Holdsworth was in the band. Great show......

I would have loved to seen this show but unfortunately I was just not able to attend..

A great body of work IMO........