Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:05 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:59 pm 

Well today was pretty productive. I patched all the holes left from the CD racks on the back wall and touched it up. At the same time I moved the PJ's HDMI cable from the centerline of the wall off to one side to accomodate the diffusers and possibly a flanking pair of my DIY abffusor panels. We'd only recently changed the colour scheme to gray so I had some of the exact paint still kickin' about. It looks good as new. Now its ready to have a bunch of new holes drilled in different spots! :D

The missing critical bits to complete the re-install of my CD racking in the gear closet arrived Friday... And were the wrong ones. A phone call to Boltz this morning rectified the situation at no additional cost but I'm waiting another week to complete the racking. :x The huge rows of CDs spread across the floor and every nearby free counter top were really in the way so I put 'em all in what racking I've got up already. Their was enough grow room in my DVD-A/SACD racking to accommodate the 200+ Classical CDs still awaiting their new home. The new racking will accommodate about 2500 optical discs. 20+ years of collecting sees me nearing the 2000 mark so I'm good for awhile. The closet ain't pretty to look at (Its an ancient washroom I re-tasked as a closet when I moved into the building) but its organized and well lit now.

I've got an extra pair of arms and a strong back lined up for Wednesday so the Skyline will be installed then (along with the framing for the Poly Diffuser arrays. The end is near...

Happy Trails!
Vince@Freewheelcycle.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:34 pm 

Snuck in a bit of time on the Skylines today between working on the Poly diffuser build. I swept all of the back wall looking for the underlaying studs into which the 100 pound Skyline array can be securely screwed. As I found 'em I marked 'em with pencil on masking tape. I needed to find 'em top-to-bottom as on the back wall immediately above the Skyline will be a 3'Wx4'H Poly reaching almost to the ceiling. Due to the doubled up wall board on this wall, it was a real bear finding the joists even with a deep-scanning stud finder. It looks like the Skyline goes on the wall tomorrow...

Happy Trails!
Vince@Freewheelcycle.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:06 am 

The only thing missing in the room is a pop-corn machine, Hockey playoff's and me :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:38 am 

RoyHifi wrote:
The only thing missing in the room is a pop-corn machine, Hockey playoff's and me :D

Hey Roy,

Besides the fact that I couldn't give a rat's ass about hockey (I know, not very Canadian of me :roll: but I suck at ball and stick sports.), I prefer to think of my dedicated room as a Multi-Channel Music and theater Temple. :D I guess that is my two-channel tubed audio knob background showin' through. Whether or not my current view of myself has any basis in reality, is another question altogether!

Happy Trails!
Vince@Freewheelcycle.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:08 pm 

In the immortal words of my toddler's favorite TV show:

Mission Completion!

Well, pretty much anyway. The Skyline diffusor is now securely mounted to the wall in its final position. Immediately above it you can see the supporting frame for a large Poly (to be installed next week as part of my Poly Diffuser build thread. A minor mis-measurement faux pas will require some Bondo and a finish coat of paint on the mounting flanges. I managed to drill all the mounting holes 7/8" to the left of where the should have been. I didn't discover my error until after three of us had wrestled the beast into place and screwed it to the wall. :oops: Doooh! Drill new holes and do over... No biggee. Evidence of my error should be gone before the day ends. :D

Well the remainder of my room acoustics re-vamp should be wrapped up within a week. I'm looking forward to kickin' back and spinning some tunes.

Happy Trails!
Vince@Freewheelcycle.com

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:34 pm 

"For a grand total of 524 accurately measured pieces."

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Vince, never let it be said that you do things in half measures (including these posts :) ).

Thanks for taking the time and effort to so thoroughly engage us with your efforts. Looking forward to a report on the accoustic differences your project brings about.

Cheers

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:30 pm 

CornerCutter wrote:
"For a grand total of 524 accurately measured pieces."

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Vince, never let it be said that you do things in half measures (including these posts :) ).

Thanks for taking the time and effort to so thoroughly engage us with your efforts. Looking forward to a report on the accoustic differences your project brings about.

Cheers

Hey CC,

But my redesign using 2x4"s in addition to the specified 2x2"s reduced the requirement to a mere 380 pieces! :lol: There is sort of a "Zen of chop saw usage" one attains after the 100th identical cut or so. Ommmmm... :wink: A fellow has gotta have goals in life.

Happy Trails!
Vince@Freewheelcycle.com