Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tidal Rumours
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:15 am 

mitcho wrote:
Tidal being purchased by Apple.

I read a couple years back Apple was in preliminary talks with Tidal but nothing came of it. I personally believe Tidal would be a good fit for Apple.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:34 am 

sorta off topic....but.... I just set up and got running a InnuOS Zenith music server running Roon....up until this point I used Tidal as a discovery tool alongside Roon in my office system only because I never found the quality to be as good or near as good as my own downloaded or ripped files on my main rig...red book or otherwise. Suddenly with the server, presumably with an optimized Roon/Tidal configuration this gap has closed considerably and in some cases of older perhaps already suspect recordings the gap is null

With all this thread is talking about and my "re-discovery" of Tidal , so to speak, I would hate to think that I would lose this service. While its primary use for me is and will continue to be discovery its fantastic to finally get to hear what it has to offer.

I will watch this news as it unfolds

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:49 am 

mitcho wrote:
I was listening to a radio program a few days ago and they predicted Tidal being purchased by Apple.

That would suck big time.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:27 pm 

Wind Chaser wrote:
mitcho wrote:
I was listening to a radio program a few days ago and they predicted Tidal being purchased by Apple.

given the choice of Tidal going out of business and Apple owning them, I would prefer Tidal being purchased. They would need someone with deep pockets

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:45 pm 

mitcho wrote:
Wind Chaser wrote:
mitcho wrote:

given the choice of Tidal going out of business and Apple owning them, I would prefer Tidal being purchased. They would need someone with deep pockets

there was talk of this before Apple launched their own service. It made sense then as it would have provided an up and running service for Apple and help solidify a relationship with many of today's most popular artists. it would look very different now though with Apple music already running and the $200M for a 1/3 share by Sprint has over valued Tidal.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:49 pm 

rememeber the war between BETA and VHS

Beta was superior but VHS ws cheaper....VHS wined

Spotify is half the price of tidal.......guest what

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:58 pm 

mitcho wrote:
Wind Chaser wrote:
mitcho wrote:

I'd prefer someone else, anyone other Apple.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:58 pm 

mpublicover wrote:

there was talk of this before Apple launched their own service. It made sense then as it would have provided an up and running service for Apple and help solidify a relationship with many of today's most popular artists. it would look very different now though with Apple music already running and the $200M for a 1/3 share by Sprint has over valued Tidal.[/quote]

if they only have 6 months of working capital left, their value is dwindling daily. Sprint's share is almost gone. Sprint will have to make a decision, do they chase bad money with good or do they call it a day. If they only have that many months left of cash, then it might be past the point of selling. They will have to look at changing their model. Decrease the price of subscription. Spotify and Apple are possibly waiting for the fire sale. Too bad, I have no interest in the present Apple or Spotify. Their premium is great for the car....but at home NOT. Seems like the $20 fee per month is the big kicker. Their advertising is not covering the balance of their expenses.

-- 31 Dec 2017 01:11 --

renehuot70 wrote:

Sony also got greedy. They wanted Beta to be proprietary for themselves- Sony persuaded the MITI to adopt Betamax as the standard, and allow it to license the technology to other companies.[16]

JVC believed that an open standard, with the format shared among competitors without licensing the technology, was better for the consumer. To prevent the MITI from adopting Betamax, JVC worked to convince other companies, in particular Matsushita (Japan's largest electronics manufacturer at the time, marketing its products under the National brand in most territories and the Panasonic brand in North America, and JVC's majority stockholder), to accept VHS, and thereby work against Sony and the MITI.[18] Matsushita agreed, primarily out of concern that Sony might become the leader in the field if its proprietary Betamax format was the only one allowed to be manufactured.

I agree with you though, Tidal seems to be getting resistance on the $20 a month fee. Wonder how their advertising $ are coming in. Tidal could possibly increase where and with what they are offered. Spotify seems to be everywhere, but Tidal not as much. I think the article said as much. Wonder what Sprint was thinking when they injected a lot of funds?

https://hypebeast.com/2017/12/jay-z-tid ... ial-issues

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:36 pm 

mitcho wrote:
mpublicover wrote:

there was talk of this before Apple launched their own service. It made sense then as it would have provided an up and running service for Apple and help solidify a relationship with many of today's most popular artists. it would look very different now though with Apple music already running and the $200M for a 1/3 share by Sprint has over valued Tidal.

if they only have 6 months of working capital left, their value is dwindling daily. Sprint's share is almost gone. Sprint will have to make a decision, do they chase bad money with good or do they call it a day. If they only have that many months left of cash, then it might be past the point of selling. They will have to look at changing their model. Decrease the price of subscription. Spotify and Apple are possibly waiting for the fire sale. Too bad, I have no interest in the present Apple or Spotify. Their premium is great for the car....but at home NOT. Seems like the $20 fee per month is the big kicker. Their advertising is not covering the balance of their expenses.

-- 31 Dec 2017 01:11 --

renehuot70 wrote:

Sony also got greedy. They wanted Beta to be proprietary for themselves- Sony persuaded the MITI to adopt Betamax as the standard, and allow it to license the technology to other companies.[16]

JVC believed that an open standard, with the format shared among competitors without licensing the technology, was better for the consumer. To prevent the MITI from adopting Betamax, JVC worked to convince other companies, in particular Matsushita (Japan's largest electronics manufacturer at the time, marketing its products under the National brand in most territories and the Panasonic brand in North America, and JVC's majority stockholder), to accept VHS, and thereby work against Sony and the MITI.[18] Matsushita agreed, primarily out of concern that Sony might become the leader in the field if its proprietary Betamax format was the only one allowed to be manufactured.

I agree with you though, Tidal seems to be getting resistance on the $20 a month fee. Wonder how their advertising $ are coming in. Tidal could possibly increase where and with what they are offered. Spotify seems to be everywhere, but Tidal not as much. I think the article said as much. Wonder what Sprint was thinking when they injected a lot of funds?

https://hypebeast.com/2017/12/jay-z-tid ... ial-issues[/quote]

you are right with the liscensing.

the point is that for the majorities of people, the mp3 sound good.....

we are alone with our 3000$ DAC! lolll

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:41 am 

That’s the cruel irony. People are willing to drop thousands on 4K tv’s with resolution that’ll show the pores on your skin. But ask them to shell out a little more for CD quality music (not even high-rez) and they balk. The eyes have more persuasive purchasing power than the ears.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:58 am 

milesian wrote:
That’s the cruel irony. People are willing to drop thousands on 4K tv’s with resolution that’ll show the pores on your skin. But ask them to shell out a little more for CD quality music (not even high-rez) and they balk. The eyes have more persuasive purchasing power than the ears.

Milesian speaks the truth. Almost makes one wonder why even a total novice can spot a hi def picture and easily appreciate its value over a lower def source. In audio the differences in general resolution can go unnoticed - he’ll, some even PREFER mp3.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:57 am 

I tried Tidal using the 10 day trial no CC needed. My Mytek Brooklyn dac supports MQA and the MQA tracks available on Tidal including lots of ECM releases sound excellent.
Hope it survives.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:59 am 

milesian wrote:

There's another Marketing fallacy, 4K video. I see it being advertised as 4 times the resolution of HD and in fact it's only 2 times more Rez. They took the horizontal resolution number of HD (1080p) and advertise the the Vertical resolution of 4096 instead of the real comparison horizontal number (2160p).

To keep on topic, today is the last day for 3 months of Spotify for $0.99, I think I'll sign up to see what all the hubbub is about. Happy New Years to all.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:13 am 

petersch wrote:
milesian wrote:

There's another Marketing fallacy, 4K video. I see it being advertised as 4 times the resolution of HD and in fact it's only 2 times more Rez. They took the horizontal resolution number of HD (1080p) and advertise the the Vertical resolution of 4096 instead of the real comparison horizontal number (2160p).

To keep on topic, today is the last day for 3 months of Spotify for $0.99, I think I'll sign up to see what all the hubbub is about. Happy New Years to all.

Count the total number of pixels.

1080: 1920x1080 = 2073600
4K UHD: 3840x2160 = 8294400 (exactly 4x the amount of 1080)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:36 am 

I received an interesting email message this morning from Tidal - "TIDAL is now available on Apple TV and Android TV"
I was surprised at the news, especially concerning Apple TV.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next