Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:24 am 

While most of my CDs are not ripped lossless right now (mine are 224 kbps) ...I'm generally more than happy with what Itunes is putting through to my speakers. That being said, I rarely put a CD in the player anymore. Should I box them up? What have others done? Feels very 90's having my IKEA shelf with CDs in my living room....

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:35 am 

I have ripped all mine to lossless (FLAC). They are all on bookshelves in the basement. I can't bring myself to box them, or sell them, but it's been a very long time since I played on. I did get rid of my best CD player, but I still have a pretty good one, and can also use it as a transport into my DAC.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:43 am 
Premium User

I'm in the same boat. I have all of mine ripped to FLAC and I now have no idea what to do with them all. It has been years since I actually listened to the actual cd.

I will probably just box them up and store them someplace or simply sell them off. Given I must have 300 or 400 of them, selling them may be a little more time consuming then I would like.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:47 am 

I think selling them might be a non-starter. I've thought of just keeping the discs and liners and recycling the jewel cases. That would let you keep a back-up somewhere and keep the liner notes. Would make storing them much easier that way.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:49 am 

i shared them with my neighbours and friends at present not even one cd in the house (mirrored western digital harddrive)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:01 pm 

I still love cd's and don't mind being '90's at all. That being said, I would be happy to "store" your cd's for you or take them off your hands if you don't want them. Heck if you're in reasonable driving distance I can pick them up. PM me if there is something to work out.

I currently have 300-400 and still there are nights when I feel I've got nothing to listen to.

Cheers!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:10 pm 

Lol, I'm on the west coast, but if you feel like a drive...
I'm with you about not having anything to listen to. I live internet radio for that reason. I get quickly bored to my existing music collection.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:13 pm 

I have ripped about 95% of mine to Apple losseless for playing in my living room over a networked Squeezebox.

In addition to the convenience I am very happy with the sound quality and the 4 PCs on my network have access to all of the music. It's really handy in my workshop although tough to hear when the router or table saw get spooled up. :lol:

The 600(ish) CDs that were in the living room are now in my study/listening room where they are still listened to (along with some vinyl) :D

Matt

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:29 pm 

I ripped my CDs and burned them to CDs for listening in my car. I never used my original CDs in the car. At home, I played original CDs in my CDP. I do not plan to rip all my CDs to mp3, wave, flac or whatever and I do not plan to get rid of my original CDs. In fact I still buy good ones sometimes.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:46 pm 

I've been all lossless based for a couple years now, dumped all my lossy encoded stuff. I use ALAC through iTunes. It kills me to think how much of my CD collection has gone missing over the years... :roll:

I am kinda anal about my id3 tags as well, I make sure everything is extra neat and tidy, all artwork at 600px square.

My next project is to pickup a new cartridge and begin making archival rips of my fave vinyl, I am going to try some rips at 24/96 and compare them to my standard rips and see if I can hear any difference at all. I am just looking at different record cleaning methods before I dig in.

I grew up on analogue but have been seduced by the Dark Side. :twisted:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:23 pm 

does recording your lp's to cassette and putting them in storage count?

heck now I'm playing the lp's again

hmmmmmmmmm

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:57 pm 

Any lossless formats better than others? What about Apple Lossless through iTunes?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:13 pm 

Lossless really means that, so it would be difficult to distinguish between Apple Lossless and FLAC and WAV, (uncompressed).

I have a Decco hooked up to Era speakers that makes my previously ripped at 192s sound virtually equivalent.

But I still have all the CD's and will continue to store them. Hard drives crash and backups fail. As much as I'd hate to re-rip everything, at least you have a last resort if you have the CD's.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:15 pm 

stickers11 wrote:
Lol, I'm on the west coast, but if you feel like a drive...

I'd love to, but in the meantime, I would still be pleased to pay for shipping!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:49 pm 

SVinTO wrote:
Lossless really means that, so it would be difficult to distinguish between Apple Lossless and FLAC and WAV, (uncompressed).

There should be no way to differentiate lossless formats, you can think of them almost like a zip file for audio. What you put into them, comes out exactly the same. Encode it, decode it, transcode to a different lossless format, no worries.

Your player is decoding the lossless into a bitperfect version of the original file to send along to your DAC. As long as you make sure your ripping parameters are set correctly...

"The audio CD you burn will not be an exact copy of the original CD unless you set the correct write offset for the drive. This is a one-time procedure, and well worth the effort if you are the kind of perfectionist that reads this guide in the first place." ..(Exact Audio Copy manual)