Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:54 am 

OK, I decided it was time to play around with some of the digital stuff out there. I dragged out an old PC I had (Windows XP Pro) got an adaptor for the video output (DVI) to go to the HDMI input of my 60" monitor. Good so far.

I want to connect my PC to my DAC, Simaudio 300 D. It is version 1 so the USB is limited to 44 kHz and 16 bit. So I need a SPDIF connection. Great the unit has a TOSLINK output from the motherboard. Got the latest driver for that going and....it seems the motherboard TOSLINK is limited to 44 kHz and 16 bit. Arrrgh!

OK, this still should be easy right just get either a PCI board that converts to SPDIF output (my preference is RCA but TOSLINK is OK). The only things like that I can find are sound cards themselves. Hmmm...OK how about a USB based converter, USB to SPDIF. Lots of USB to audio, lots of SPDIF to audio but no luck so far.

Does anybody know of either a PCI card, or a USB converter that has a minimum of 192 kHz and 24 bit SPDIF (RCA preferred) that doesn't cost a bigillion dollars? For the circuitry involved there should be something in the $50 dollar area; $100 max, but I'll be darned if I can find one. Does anyone out there know of such a beast?

:cry: :cry: ROVA :cry: :cry:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:11 am 

Rova wrote:

Does anybody know of either a PCI card, or a USB converter that has a minimum of 192 kHz and 24 bit SPDIF (RCA preferred) that doesn't cost a bigillion dollars? For the circuitry involved there should be something in the $50 dollar area; $100 max, but I'll be darned if I can find one. Does anyone out there know of such a beast?

:cry: :cry: ROVA :cry: :cry:

Some CAM options:
https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details ... converter/
https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details ... -included/

Or maybe keep an eye out for a used Fiio E10k. It is a usb dac/headphone amp ... but it has a Coax SPDIF out on the back of it.
Only goes up to 96khz though I think ... not that i have ever noticed a difference between 96 and 192 ... but YMMV.
They come up on CAM now and then for like $80.

Good luck :wink:

Edit:

Here is a PCI option : https://www.asus.com/ca-en/Sound-Cards/Xonar_DG/
The DG retails for around $45. On the back of the card is a Toslink SPDIF, but as I seem to recall toslink cannot go past 96khz so you will be limited. Having said that, on the other side of the card is a SPDIF coax header, so if you can hook that up to a female RCA jack you should have your RCA 192khz spdif.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:28 am 

http://www.schiit.com/products/eitr

Easy.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:31 am 

msommers wrote:

Easy.

I was thinking the same thing but the Eitr is out of the OPs budget. It would work out to about $250 cdn after exchange. Not to mention shipping + border fees etc.
Probably end up being $300-350 to get it to the door.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:46 am 

If leaning toward a PCI card, first ensure the type of slot available, PCI vs PCIe are not cross compatible. Also, depending on the computer and its current hardware configuration, there could be conflicts with adding another expansion card - read the manual and post any questions should you have any. But personally I’d look at the USB to SPDIF converters such as the ones mentioned above.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:52 am 

kolwrath wrote:
msommers wrote:

Easy.

I was thinking the same thing but the Eitr is out of the OPs budget. It would work out to about $250 cdn after exchange. Not to mention shipping + border fees etc.
Probably end up being $300-350 to get it to the door.

$250 CAD would include shipping and then whatever GST/HST you have to pay. Going with USPS would mean you don't get hosed by UPS.

There are B-Stock Eitrs occasionally which brings it down to $149 USD. Or a used one is $200 CAD shipped.

For $50-100, I honestly can't think of anything that does what the OP wants. Audioquest Dragon USB stick is as close as I think can think of except no coax out. Maybe some toy from eBay or Aliexpress if you could put any faith in those devices...

Good luck OP.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:07 am 

Peachtree has a couple units, T1 and X1 that could likely be had in the OP's budget.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:39 am 

mpublicover wrote:
Peachtree has a couple units, T1 and X1 that could likely be had in the OP's budget.

Is that in my range as used on CAM or is that "new"?

-- 10 Aug 2018 18:51 --

kolwrath wrote:
Rova wrote:

Edit:

Here is a PCI option : https://www.asus.com/ca-en/Sound-Cards/Xonar_DG/
The DG retails for around $45. On the back of the card is a Toslink SPDIF, but as I seem to recall toslink cannot go past 96khz so you will be limited. Having said that, on the other side of the card is a SPDIF coax header, so if you can hook that up to a female RCA jack you should have your RCA 192khz spdif.

Have you known anyone to hook up the SPDIF header? The normal SPDIFs of this card go to 96 kHz but the unused header is for HDAudio and is used to link to video cards the have HDMI outputs. Are the signals on that header truely 192 kHz or could they even be decoded audio?

ROVA

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:07 am 

Rova wrote:

Have you known anyone to hook up the SPDIF header? The normal SPDIFs of this card go to 96 kHz but the unused header is for HDAudio and is used to link to video cards the have HDMI outputs. Are the signals on that header truely 192 kHz or could they even be decoded audio?

ROVA

The header will support what ever bitrate the soundcard supports. Despite the Cirrus Logic chipset claims 24/192 support, seems the driver brings this down to only 24/96. That particular header is used for older HDMI compatible video cards as a digital passthrough.

The Peachtree SPDIF converter is $150 US on their website.

https://www.peachtreeaudio.com/x1-usb-s ... erter.html

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:15 am 

"Is that in my range as used on CAM or is that "new"?"

the Peachtree units are now out of production. Last month an X1 listed for $99 on CAM. Maybe contact a Peachtree dealer to see if there are any available. I have a T1 but it is in use again; otherwise I would offer it up.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:33 am 

Rova wrote:

ROVA

After some googling, it appears that the DG card maxes out at 96khz no matter what. :?
You would probably have to go higher up the product line to get 192k.

Oh well. nevermind :(

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:47 pm 

To be honest here and it might come across a bit rude, but these really cheap USB to spdif converters are going to impact the sound quality much more than worrying about 96 vs 192 differences.

Even motherboard coax outputs are noisy and not worth it. If you want something worthwhile, go with a Lynx card if PCI/e is your preference.

I just don't see much gain, rather a lose, in going with these other devices.

Just one man's opinion.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:08 pm 

msommers wrote:
To be honest here and it might come across a bit rude, but these really cheap USB to spdif converters are going to impact the sound quality much more than worrying about 96 vs 192 differences.

Even motherboard coax outputs are noisy and not worth it. If you want something worthwhile, go with a Lynx card if PCI/e is your preference.

I just don't see much gain, rather a lose, in going with these other devices.

Just one man's opinion.

No offense is taken. The only reason I was trying to keep costs down is because I am, at this point, only going to dabble with it. I mostly listen to CDs using a transport and the Simaudio DAC. I have no issue with raising the prices a little to get a discern-able improvement. But I don't see myself going out tomorrow and buying hundreds and hundreds of dollars of hi-res files. (Who knows, maybe some day.) Your point is important to me, that there is a potential problem going the cheap route. This Lynx card, what about it makes it so much better and how much does it cost?

ROVA

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:10 pm 

Would something like this do?
Diamond Xtreme Sound 7.1.
Attachment:
Sound Card.jpg
Sound Card.jpg [ 304.04 KiB | Viewed 629 times ]

I have one that is still sealed, the box has never been opened...

Regards
Ohms

www.leohl.ca

Last edited by AudiOhm on Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:21 pm 

I have an ESI Juli@ card in my XP box. PCI, 24/192 with spdif I/O. Didn't cost a fortune, but this was a few years ago.*

Wouldn't a SPDIF converter on the USB bus still be limited by the USB data rate?

*I see they're discontinued, and yikes! the remaining ones aren't cheap! I thought ESI would've updated it...