Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:05 pm 

Ok, u guys seem to be Windows Wizards, no pun intended. Is there a way to turn off internet and still keep printing capabilities on Ethernet network?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:31 pm 

The problem is you have too much OS for your needs. I'm a big fan of using raspberry pi to handle specialized chores, and lately I picked up a google Chromecast audio to use with my phone to listen to podcasts when I'm working from home. Volumio for pi would be what I would look at, and it's compatible with many external DACs.

-- 10 Jul 2018 02:34 --

Bandy wrote:
Ok, u guys seem to be Windows Wizards, no pun intended. Is there a way to turn off internet and still keep printing capabilities on Ethernet network?

Yes, just set your DNS to something you made up.

-- 10 Jul 2018 02:39 --

canisbay wrote:
While not Windows I feel your pain with digital music but with Apple. Recently Apple suggested I upgrade my operating system on my Mac Book to High Sierre from Sierra. I did so and now my Chord Dac no longer will work with my expensive USBcable from the laptop. I contacted Chord who replied that Apples new OS will not work with their software. I can go back to the old OS but for a$100 fee or go to a coax adapter. Now no ripped CDs or Spotify in my music room. Makes pops and ticks on my records seem minimal.

Apple is a capricious company, I will not forgive them for pushing an update many years ago that caused my iPod to stop working with Firewire. Once they decide to stop supporting something, you are SOL. They don't believe in legacy. Then again, Sony just made my enemies list, since I tried to play an audio CD on my PS4 and discovered it cannot. Best to DIY.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:57 am 

Without knowing the specifics of the network, changing the DNS may not be the best solution – could result in the PC not being able to find the printer(s).

Will assume with so many outdated computers, that you have some sort of firewall in place to mitigate any incoming threats? If so, a rule could be applied to block outbound from this particular PC. Failing that, Windows does have its own baked in firewall which could be used to block internet access but still allow network printing. The Win firewall config slightly varies depending on the OS version. Google should be able to assist.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:38 am 

Bandy wrote:

I would say yes. Your printer should be setup on a local network that does not require Internet access.

I have all my devices setup wireless, there is no need for internet access for them to function, I would assume you could do this with Ethernet also.

Regards
Ohms

https://www.leohl.ca

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:42 am 

Bandy wrote:

Assuming you have a router installed, it may be configured from there.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:03 am 

sthomas1049 wrote:
Without knowing the specifics of the network, changing the DNS may not be the best solution – could result in the PC not being able to find the printer(s).

Will assume with so many outdated computers, that you have some sort of firewall in place to mitigate any incoming threats? If so, a rule could be applied to block outbound from this particular PC. Failing that, Windows does have its own baked in firewall which could be used to block internet access but still allow network printing. The Win firewall config slightly varies depending on the OS version. Google should be able to assist.

I thought about that, but since a person can use google's dns instead of a local one, printers arent using dns. Probably they use WINS or some such. Worth a shot and super easy.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:05 am 

Depending on the environment, there could be internal DNS server(s) in which case, changing the DNS entry on the device could result in not being able to print. The location could also be part of a WAN which may involve printing services managed by a print server. But given the brief description of the environment being only a handful of computers I doubt this is the case - the user was a bit vague, so anything is possible. Non the less, changing the DNS on the device could work and easy enough to roll back if it doesn’t.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:38 pm 
Dealer/Sponsor

JFraser wrote:
Win 10 is a real POS , I have it on my laptop and once win 7 is no more I will change my PC to a MAC . My laptop will sometimes take over an hour to start due to freaking updates !!!
+1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:20 pm 

Just to say it not all gloom and doom,
I have a new, auto update enabled Win 10 laptop that works flawlessly.
I have it set up as a server and Jriver plays and streams my library to 3 separate audio systems in my home without issue, no wires.
I use the dacs in the devices not the pc and sound quality is very good.
I am old and not a geek and took a lot of advice from the forum and took my time to figure things out.
No biggie and end result is worth a little learning and trial and error.

I still like cd play though.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:21 pm 

allgonoshow wrote:
I have it set up as a server and Jriver plays and streams my library to 3 separate audio systems in my home without issue, no wires.
I am old and not a geek and took a lot of advice from the forum and took my time to figure things out.

+1......I actually find W10 to be THE BEST OS I have ever used......auto update enabled for several years, and not a single glitch of any kind.

Cheers, del Sol

-- 10 Jul 2018 22:21 --

allgonoshow wrote:

+1......I actually find W10 to be THE BEST OS I have ever used......auto update enabled for several years, and not a single glitch of any kind.

Cheers, del Sol

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:10 am 

joseph49 wrote:
I agree each to their own,But I refuse to let windows updates control how my computers are set up,I have 3 computers and ALL have the auto update disabled for more than 10 years and they are just as secure as Any that have taken auto updates. I have repaired some friends computers several times over the years because of problems that auto updates caused for them.

So how did you get around the forced update? I turned my updates off and they got around it. Last time I buy anything Microsoft.

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3 ... dates.html

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:30 am 

You lost me at "I worked in IT". :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:50 am 

I have W10 with auto update crammed onto a 32gb netbook. I use it for everything including streaming/casting audio. No problems whatsoever.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:13 am 

I would check the buffer settings on your audio driver. As for updates, my music pc is dedicated and has no access to the internet. T

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:21 am 

tsearay wrote:
I would check the buffer settings on your audio driver. As for updates, my music pc is dedicated and has no access to the internet. T

That's true.
I found in lesser laptops (2 gb RAM) or using XP/ 8.1, issues arose.
Windows 10 updated has given me no big issues for playing music, from HDD or internet. But, laptop is 6 gb RAM, w/ fast processor - it handles 24/48 files off 'Tidal' desktop (and not webplayer) with aplomb, and by wi-fi too.
Has seemed to me that a fast connection (fibre optic) to streaming services, w/ good modem-router, helps alot.
Maybe check off all this first on your search list. Windows 10 can work well.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next