Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:29 am 

Helping a friend shop for a TT ($400 - $800) to go with his Marantz 2240. He has his eyes on Rega and Project brands. Anything else one might suggest ?

Speakers may change as well. Right now, he has some (name ???) bookshelf speakers. I'm going to lend him my Celestion DL4's to help narrow things down.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:39 am 

I would agree with a Rega ... but don't bother with a P1.

I would also recommend a stand-alone phono preamp ($200 of his budget for a used Rega Fono ... http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/ ... mp-mark-i/ ... would not go amiss).

I realize that his receiver has a phono input, but I have never heard a vintage receiver that didn't benefit from a modern phono preamp.

If your friend doesn't believe me, he should at least borrow one so he can hear for himself.

Sorry, Mister Vice President, 'The Handmaid's Tale' is not a documentary.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:32 am 

As I prepared to post I read Quadzilla's reply, all I can add is follow his advice. Spot on.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:03 pm 

Quadzilla wrote:
I would agree with a Rega ... but don't bother with a P1.

I would also recommend a stand-alone phono preamp ($200 of his budget for a used Rega Fono ... http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/ ... mp-mark-i/ ... would not go amiss).

I realize that his receiver has a phono input, but I have never heard a vintage receiver that didn't benefit from a modern phono preamp.

If your friend doesn't believe me, he should at least borrow one so he can hear for himself.

Plus 2. Look for a P2 / P3 Rega. Hard to beat, and an RB-250 tonearm is a solid performer. Spend the money up front...if the tt comes with a good MM cart, he could start off by using the internal phono pre in the Marantz, then upgrade to an external pre-amp at a later date. I am pretty hot on PJL tube phono stages...for the money (less than $350) you get a solid performer with a set of NOS EH tubes. It has a nice, pleasing "vintage" sound that rivals $1,000 alternates. I matched one of the PJLs with a Denon 110 on a clearaudio deck; the sound is quite surprising....very pleasing and unfatiguing. This setup would be a good match to the Marantz.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:12 pm 

All that info very much appreciated. I was telling him that he didn't need to bother with a pre amp, but now I must try this and hear the difference !

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:51 pm 

A while back, my buddy's son asked me to recommend a USB turntable that he could use to put some of his LPs onto his iPhone. I asked how much he wanted to spend, then suggested that he buy a phono preamp with USB output (instead of a crappy USB turntable) for less than the amount of his budget for the USB TT. He was skeptical, but he agreed.

I got him a used NAD unit here on CAM, and he used it to load a few LPs to his phone. More importantly, he and his father were shocked at the improvement that the entry-level phono preamp had over the phono input of his vintage receiver. He doesn't use the USB function now, but he hasn't wasted his money on some plastic hipster USB trash.

Please let us know what you think.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:59 pm 

I once had a 2240 and it paired very nicely with a Marantz 6300. Some crazy prices now..... but I enjoyed mine while I had it, fwiw.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:01 am 

Audio4ever wrote:
I once had a 2240 and it paired very nicely with a Marantz 6300. Some crazy prices now..... but I enjoyed mine while I had it, fwiw.

My rule of thumb for vintage turntables and FM tuners is the same ... unless they are exceptional models (Linn Sondek, Accuphase), they aren't worth more than $200, and the Marantz 6300 is not at all exceptional. There are a couple of them listed here that have a lot of lipstick applied to them, but for their asking prices you can buy a much better TT ... even if it doesn't have "Marantz" slapped on it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:07 am 

A Marantz 6300 Turntable would be a very good compliment to his 2240. Keep it all in the family

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:46 am 

alboettcher wrote:
A Marantz 6300 Turntable would be a very good compliment to his 2240. Keep it all in the family

What would you consider to be a fair price? ... $650? ... $1,000? Lots of good TTs out there for those prices.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:22 am 

I have a Marantz 6320 with SME and Dyna D2 that would be very nice...but not price wise.