Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:30 am 

Sgt Pepper wrote:
tomcio wrote:
toddc2 wrote:
I pre-clean using a Squeaky Clean Vinyl RCM followed by a 15 minute ultrasonic bath (using Vinyl Stack and Rushton's cleaning formula), steam rinse with distilled water, then double distilled vacuum rinse with "clean" pickup wand and mat.

Here are the details for those interested:

1. RCM with MoFi Super Wash using brush #1, pickup wand #1 and mat #1
2. RCM with Disc Doctor Miracle Wash using brush #2, pickup wand #1 and mat #1
3. RCM distilled water rinse using pickup wand #1 and mat #1
4. Ultrasonic clean 15 minutes at 50C, single record only using a Vinyl Stack.
5. Steam rinse with distilled water, let drip dry for 30 minutes
6. RCM with distilled water using brush #3, pickup wand #2 and mat #2
7. RCM with distilled water, no brush, pickup wand #2 and mat #2
8. Air dry for 30 minutes
9. Static treatment with a Milty gun
10. New MoFi sleeve

It takes some patience but my records are clean! As I posted on AudioCircle about a month ago, I have the timing setup so I can take a break and listen to a clean side and enjoy a beverage in the middle of a batch.

Todd

If I had to do this to all of my records, I would sell them all and go digital route. This is some serious dedication right there.

You are right about that. Just get a Nitty Gritty or Record Doctor and be done with it. Takes about 20-30 seconds to clean and vacuum both sides.

Yes, there are easier and quicker ways to this. I more or less copied the routine Greg Marquard uses at Cleveland Vinyl. I added a few tweaks, but it's all Greg's fault...

Since I do the records in batches with so much drying time, it's hard to say how much total time it takes. I do 4 records in about 2.5 hours, but there's lots of down time in there to listen and drink beer. I think I've got about 10 minutes per record of actual labor into them.

Todd

-- 22 Jan 2018 12:42 --

naimkid wrote:
I find Japsnese pressings do not attract any dirt nor there is any static to them.

I've been buying and cleaning quite a few Japanese presses lately. They look mint until you get some cleaning solvent on them. Finger prints, smudges, all sorts of junk seems to reveal itself. The Disc Doctor Miracle Wash seems to do the best job of getting rid of that stuff, although I'm sure the US bath would take care of it too.

Todd

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:21 am 

Spin Clean:

Effective. Easy to use. Reasonably priced.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:07 am 
Premium User

toddc2 wrote:
I pre-clean using a Squeaky Clean Vinyl RCM followed by a 15 minute ultrasonic bath (using Vinyl Stack and Rushton's cleaning formula), steam rinse with distilled water, then double distilled vacuum rinse with "clean" pickup wand and mat.

Here are the details for those interested:

1. RCM with MoFi Super Wash using brush #1, pickup wand #1 and mat #1
2. RCM with Disc Doctor Miracle Wash using brush #2, pickup wand #1 and mat #1
3. RCM distilled water rinse using pickup wand #1 and mat #1
4. Ultrasonic clean 15 minutes at 50C, single record only using a Vinyl Stack.
5. Steam rinse with distilled water, let drip dry for 30 minutes
6. RCM with distilled water using brush #3, pickup wand #2 and mat #2
7. RCM with distilled water, no brush, pickup wand #2 and mat #2
8. Air dry for 30 minutes
9. Static treatment with a Milty gun
10. New MoFi sleeve

It takes some patience but my records are clean! As I posted on AudioCircle about a month ago, I have the timing setup so I can take a break and listen to a clean side and enjoy a beverage in the middle of a batch.

Todd

This is an example of the dedication to this hobby that we frequently see. Some are happy with a simple Project tt while his neighbour won't settle for anything less than a full blown Linn.

Hat's off to your dedication. You may be the most thorough record cleaner on the planet.

-- 22 Jan 2018 12:20 --

ripblade wrote:
shawnwes wrote:
Attachment:
71G0FidajCL._SX355_.jpg

I have got to get me one of them brushes! :)

For cleaning solutions, the best I've come across is this one I reposted here. It's very stable....you can mix a gallon of it and it will still be in perfect condition a year later.

For cleaning apparatuses, I started with a DIY version of the GEM Dandy, experimented briefly with an ultrasonic tank, then moved on to a Loriclone, which is where I'm at now.

It seems to work pretty well :lol:
It's basically a one sided version of the scrubbers in one of the expensive USC w/o the USC.

Ariston RD11 Superieur, RB250 & Tecnoweight, DV20X2H, LCR MkIII, Dacmagic100, Exposure 2010S2, AS Statement SEs, AS Testaments, PSB GT1s

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:32 am 

i use the expensive diamond tip on my cartridge to remove dust and crud from my vinyl records. nothing is tougher than a diamond right? :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:47 am 

shawnwes wrote:
[

ripblade wrote:
shawnwes wrote:
Attachment:
71G0FidajCL._SX355_.jpg

For cleaning solutions, the best I've come across is this one I reposted here. It's very stable....you can mix a gallon of it and it will still be in perfect condition a year later.

For cleaning apparatuses, I started with a DIY version of the GEM Dandy, experimented briefly with an ultrasonic tank, then moved on to a Loriclone, which is where I'm at now.

It seems to work pretty well :lol:
It's basically a one sided version of the scrubbers in one of the expensive USC w/o the USC.

In that case I'll take 2... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:09 pm 

Johnny99 wrote:
i use the expensive diamond tip on my cartridge to remove dust and crud from my vinyl records. nothing is tougher than a diamond right? :wink:

LOL. Doesn't quite work like that.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:16 pm 

No offense to anyone, but some cleaning routines look as though the effort might *possibly* out weigh the results. Of course these things are subjective, so that is my take only. I am sure there is some enjoyment derived from the process.

I don't think I could attain a significantly greater level of performance from a more thorough wash in light of the limitations of vinyl pressings.

I use a VPI cleaning machine using my own home-made cleaning solution. Also, I will rinse at least once per side with distilled water afterward.

Occasionally there are small hard bits of debris that will not come off by regular washing. I will sometimes pick this stuff off with a finger nail after drying the record. A cavitation machine might take care of the tiny percentage of debris that is left behind.

I use a dollar store plastic condiment squeeze bottle to dispense the fluid on the record.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:41 pm 

KAB EV1 manual record cleaning machine used with house central vac. I buy my cleaning fluid from UHF magazine. It's diluted and makes a gallon of fluid. Scroll down to middle of page.

http://www.uhfmag.com/Analog.html

https://www.kabusa.com/frameset.htm?/rcleaner.htm

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:58 pm 

Hi,

Old school here. I have for decades used a Watts Parastat (Manual Model Mk IIA) which was developed by the late Cecil Watts, a British inventor, and is no longer sold. The brush part has tens of thousands of tiny bristles that dig deep into the grooves as you manually press and rotate the Parastat in a circular way around the record. Two felt pads on either side of the brush pick up the crud that the bristles kick out of the grooves. You spritz the Parastat brush and pads with distilled water and go to work. This both cleans the grooves and introduces some humidity that kills any static charge on the record surface. Simple and effective. Yesterday I cleaned up about twenty albums from the bargain vaults and I am always amazed at how effective it is even though I recognize that there are more sophisticated methods nowadays.

Twenty years ago I lost about 600 stored albums in a basement flood and that was a real challenge. I chucked the covers, which begin to mold almost immediately, and I carefully washed them all with filtered water and a drop of Dawn and then rinsed them with more filtered water and a few drops of Foto-flo. I then stood them up in a spare dish rack and let them dry. I did about 20 at a time. They came through brilliantly, and I still have them all, now placed in inner sleeves and catalogued. Vinyl is tougher than you might think.

Cheers,
David Neice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:11 pm 

Johnny99 wrote:

Right on!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:50 pm 

ripblade wrote:
shawnwes wrote:
Attachment:
71G0FidajCL._SX355_.jpg

RIP,did you find that the GEM Dandy did anything significant that a Vacuum RCM can't do?

My ritual is similar to toddc2.........4 different application brushes are used and 2 RCM wands.....

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:55 pm 

For cleaning solution I use denatured alcohol mixed with distilled water.
Bio Flame is the denatured alcohol I use.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:03 pm 
Premium User

The standard 1/4 isopropanol & 3/4 distilled water works well with my vacuum record cleaning machine for most records. For dirtier records I now do a preliminary wash based on Sporicidin Enzyme Mold Stain Cleaner (the concentrate can be purchased on Amazon). The diluted Sporicidin cleaner needs to sit on the record for 3 - 5 minutes.

For scrubbing I've switched to inexpensive Shur-Line Handi Painter brushes which can be found at hardware stores for about $4.

Also, I can't stress enough how handy "bent tip" squeeze bottles are for dispensing fluid. The advantage is that the dispenser sucks from the bottom of the bottle so you don't need to tip the bottle; the long tube gives you great control over how much fluid comes out.

I had the chance to use a KL Audio ultrasonic cleaner for a few weeks last year. I found that ultrasonic is all that's needed on records which are simply dirty from dust, but that those with grime or finger prints still benefited from from a wash with my conventional cleaner first. That said, all my records which were previously cleaned with the vacuum machine sounded better after going through the KL Audio, so I do think ultrasonic is the ideal final step for record cleaning.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:21 pm 

VPI 16.5 + VPI solution concentrate mixed with distilled (not spring !) water.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:23 pm 

Sgt Pepper wrote:
macguyver wrote:
Sgt Pepper wrote:
Without vacuuming, you are not removing the dirt.

https://www.cnet.com/news/vacuumed-viny ... -machines/

Vacuuming is not necessary anymore. Ultrasound does a better job, no brushes on the surface and gets into the grooves.

But I agree, surface scrubbing only is a waste of time.

Yes, they both work well but the main point is that scrubbing the dirt and then not removing it is a waste of time. Also, the amount of steps he is using is ridiculous. I can clean a record with a proper machine in a matter of seconds.

Not if you use the proper sponge surface to deep the clean the groove and rince the record with filtered clean water. Although a small hand held vacuum would be preferred, have left records to dry on their own after tapping most of the water off the surface. The dirt and crap that was imbedded in groove is gone. The water that does remain is clean water and 99.9% of is gone just letting the record dry on it's own but using a vac is better.

You do it by hand but this deep cleans better than most of these record cleaners mentioned in the thread. The sponges come 8 in a pack with the Canadian flag on the package. I use my building's filtered macro bio free water with the yellow sponges that come 8 in a pack with the Canadian flag on the package with Polmolive Oxy (no fosfate or residue) dish washer detergent. One side of the sponge is three quarter thickness (yellow side), the other side is course. Use the yellow soft side. In many of the old lp's or hot stampers, you can feel the sponge in the groove as it deep cleans, moving the sponge around the record (staying in the groove-no cross cutting) and rince, clean, rince etc.. then vacuum. Anyone I have told about this that has tried it says the same, nothing works better.