Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Hana SL or Denon 103r
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:14 am 

Currently have a Denon 103r on an rs-labs tonearm and am thinking when I get the money will buy a Hana SL or audio Technica art9, does anyone have any opinions on which one to go with? The rest of my system is a Jean Nantais lenco, Anthony Gallo Strada 2 with sub, diy class amp, diy LDR preamp, with a Scott 299d as my alternate amplifier. Let me know if anyone has suggestions or an opinion on this matter.
Thank you and take care

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:30 am 
Premium User

I would go with the Hana SL.

This is a good read:

https://www.monoandstereo.com/2018/07/h ... eview.html

To get the best out of your cartridge proper set up is essential...this tool makes it easy and precise:

www.analogmagik.com

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:48 pm 

I demoed a Hana cart, cant remember the model. Comparing it to carts at more than twice the retail price, I still preferred the Hana. Perhaps personal preference as the Hana had a light airy detailed presentation in the highs that the others lacked.

Last edited by newmusic on Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:59 pm 

Not sure about tonearm compatibility with either cartridge as I don't know too much about the RS Labs arm. Comments below assume they're both compatible.

As much as people seem to rave about the Hanas I definitely wouldn't describe it as a no brainer. There are absolute raves about the ART 9 and users comparing it to some very pricey cartridges as well.

The AT has a much better cantilever IMO (boron vs. aluminum), in all likelihood a much better body, significantly better output balance specs, much lower internal impedance, better separation specs and possibly a better stylus.

I've been very close to buying one myself but went in another direction recently.

My money would be on the ART 9.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:29 pm 

Save time and money and get the ART9. I have a 103R /Pulse rebody, and while I cannot give an opinion on the Hana, the ART9 is on another level. In fact a member on Audiogon has a Lyra Delos and the ART9, and the ART9 gives him 80% of the Delos performance. Pretty good if you ask me considering the Lyra is $3000 and the ART9 is 1200 bucks!
Cheers, Doug

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:11 pm 

Obviously some strong positive opinions for both brands. The only way to know for sure is to listen to both and let your ears decide.
Several of my friends tell me they bought 'x' brand, then ask if I think its any good. My reply is usually, 'well what other brands did you compare it to in a similar price range to come to your decision?' Almost always followed by silence, blank stares and the end of the discussion. :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:21 pm 

Just purchased the Hana SL a few weeks back. Mounted on a Pioneer PL 70. No complaints on the performance. Sounds great.... even while I am still using it during the break in period. The Hana is low output at 0.5 mv.

There is one for sale on Canuck....
https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details ... cartridge/

Stevo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:23 pm 

newmusic wrote:
The only way to know for sure is to listen to both and let your ears decide.

This pretty much it.
I don't think you can go wrong with either one, but you can only tell which one sounds better for you in your system.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:29 pm 

I will try to find a local store that has both and see what I think. Thank you for all the suggestions and if anyone knows a store which has both, please let me know

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:05 pm 

It's a difficult to assess a cart from an in store demo. I'm not sure it would allow you to know how it would sound in your system and on your turntable.
Reviews, peoples opinions and a cart that matches well with your arm would seem to be the way.