Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:21 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:54 am 

Just tried this tweak on my Mitchell Teconoarm (modified rega 250). Very impressed so far! Sound seems much cleaner, vocals more out front, soundstage floats completely free of the speakers. Now I know that an arm upgrade is next for my system.
One question, do you tighten the screw as tight as you can (to get as much dampening as possible)?
Thanks a lot guys for posting this!

Attachments:
IMG_0027.JPG
IMG_0027.JPG [ 314.22 KiB | Viewed 1272 times ]
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:49 pm 

I just finger tighten, but I have strong fingers. I think it's better if you don't over tighten anyway, but there will be a point it could be too loose as well.

Looks to me like the brass washers are little small for the rubber in your case, M24, or the rubber is too big for the brass. Ideally they should be the same size, as it makes full use of the damping properties of the rubber and looks better, too. 8)

Don't be afraid to upsize the washers if you can fit them. My first effort had a 1/4-20 brass bolt...the whole combo weighed 8gms. The arm responds well to added mass, as does the Benz. If you notice pitch waver on sustained piano notes that wasn't there before, or the woofers are pumping excessively, you'll know you've gone too far. :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:31 pm 

...ok...me gots to try dis 2 :D

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:37 pm 

What took ya so long, Stone? :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:49 pm 

:D

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:10 pm 

Thanks for the info. Found a larger washer and added it to the "cookie"--- after adjusting VTF the effect is even greater, lots of bass, no woofer pumping I am running Acoustats :D .
Amazing tweak!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:17 pm 

http://shop.mapleshadestore.com/mobile/ ... NEARM-KIT/

Might give some people fresh ideas.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:24 pm 

NordicNorm wrote:
After reading your original post, I gave it a try in December.

I had upgraded last year from a Dynavector 20x2 (9.2 g) to a London Decca Super Gold (6.7 g), so I found the tweak made a noticeable difference in the bass response (without sacrificing the mids or highs).

My RB300 already had the following tweaks: Incognito wire, Audio Origami SOFC external cable, and Michell tecnoweight, so I believe I'm approaching the limits of tweaking this arm. I have to say it does sound very... pleasing.

EDIT: forgot to mention I also have a VPI VTA sleeve.

Nice!!!

Did you put the rubber washer direct to the headhsell or did you manage another washer in between?

-- 03 Feb 2017 20:34 --

MENDEL24 wrote:
Thanks for the info. Found a larger washer and added it to the "cookie"--- after adjusting VTF the effect is even greater, lots of bass, no woofer pumping I am running Acoustats :D .
Amazing tweak!

I had added the brass washer between the rubber one and headshell. Can't remember when, but I can't believe the addition of this thin piece of metal can be the difference between good bass and explosive bass.

I'm enjoying a nice Baco Noir tonight while listening to Scott Hamilton breathe into his sax. Before I sip, I'll raise the glass to you ripblade!

Attachments:
IMG_0487.JPG
IMG_0487.JPG [ 300.88 KiB | Viewed 1226 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:44 pm 

Brass does amazing things to audio. Why I don't know. I've been slowly replacing all my cones wtih edensound bearpaws. Each time I add a set my jaw drops to the floor. I wouldn't doubt for a second that adding heavier washers or reconfiguring the cookie will improve or change the tweaks affect. I found Rips configuration so good that I just left it. By all means tweak away and let us know what you discover.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:44 pm 

Can anyone explain the properties of brass that make it a better material for this tweak than say stainless steel, or nylon, as has been tried by ripblade?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:18 pm 

If it's a scientific explanation you seek I don't have one. Brass seems to handle vibrations that degrade audio much better than other materials. It brings out the best in your components. With regards to isolation cones in comparison to brass I found that aluminum and ceramic were harsh. Especially in the upper mid range. Wood was blurry and smeared transients. Brass is warm, very resolute and adds gobs of bass and staging.

I've been slowly adding high quality Edensound brass footers to all my components and the results are always jaw dropping.

The tweak in question had the same affect. All of this is strictly my own opinion based on my experiences. Hope it helps

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:33 pm 

kwadzilla wrote:
Nice!!!

Did you put the rubber washer direct to the headhsell or did you manage another washer in between?

I put the rubber washer directly against the headshell.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:14 pm 

Kel34 wrote:
http://shop.mapleshadestore.com/mobile/Tonearm-Resonance-Control-Kit/productinfo/TONEARM-KIT/

I wonder what effect that would have on the tonearm bearings, or does 128g extra not matter?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:21 am 

I don't know but 128g is about 1/4lb that's a lot. While I think it's overkill it probably sounds great

-- 07 Feb 2017 12:21 --

I don't know but 128g is about 1/4lb that's a lot. While I think it's overkill it probably sounds great

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:51 am 

Demerara wrote:
Can anyone explain the properties of brass that make it a better material for this tweak than say stainless steel, or nylon, as has been tried by ripblade?

Thanks.
My own speculation added here, but since brass is used in musical instruments...everything from cymbals to saxophones, I'd say it's because it's a 'musical' metal as opposed to aluminium or steel. Bells are made of bronze, which is another alloy using copper, so maybe copper is the deal.

kcross wrote:
Kel34 wrote:
http://shop.mapleshadestore.com/mobile/Tonearm-Resonance-Control-Kit/productinfo/TONEARM-KIT/

I wonder what effect that would have on the tonearm bearings, or does 128g extra not matter?
I wonder what the eff mass on an arm with that setup would be? Even at 40 gms total at the shell of a Rega, that would put it near an FR64S, which is considered high mass. I'd say it's good for very low compliance cartridges, but not much else.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next