Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:41 pm 

Look for one with a separate power supply and lots of DB. The balanced output ones usually have lots of DB. Good for MC carts.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:06 pm 

If you really want to stay with SS I would check out the Sutherland phono preamps. I have had a Sutherland Insight for a couple years now and must say its the best I have owned. The others were two levels of Moon including the LP 5.s which was also quite good. BTW my power amp and Preamp are both tube based. I have had no maintenance issues and if I did it usually would only be a bad tube and not a lot of expensive repairs that SS can have. I would like the Manley Chinook down the road when I can find a good deal.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:45 pm 

Going to jump right in here with something that no one has heard yet, because it has yet to be shipped!! In a week or so, a group of 25 or so individuals scattered about will be receiving the new ModWright Phono Pre-amp. The PH 9. This phono pre-amp uses a lot of the tech from the way expensive PH150 which has a separate power supply as will the new PH 9, though in a scaled down version.

The new one will cost around $3000 US funds, which is like close to $4000 Canadian on a bad day at the exchange.. I can not wait for mine to arrive and since it is a prototype, Modwright is asking for some serious feedback. So stay tuned lads, Modwright always has great gear and we will see if this one lives up to it... This is one you may have to put on your gotta have list once the dust has settled!!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:33 pm 

Buy A Dynavector P 75 MK IV and be done with it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:57 am 

Update here...

Well...Space Tech are no longer dark horse...See other threads here on CAM WRT comms...
But Parasound...wow...JCR Jr. is now in the top running...fantastic!!!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:32 am 

have never owned any on your list but have cycled through a few phono preamps including Project RS, clear audio basic plus, PS Audio Nuwave, Graham Slee Revelation M and couple cheaper tube based units.
recently acquired a Goldnote PH10 and have no hesitation recommending it. It is the most expensive of what I have owned but worth the extra layout IMO. May go after the external PS unit down the road as well.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:57 am 

mpublicover wrote:
have never owned any on your list but have cycled through a few phono preamps including Project RS, clear audio basic plus, PS Audio Nuwave, Graham Slee Revelation M and couple cheaper tube based units.
recently acquired a Goldnote PH10 and have no hesitation recommending it. It is the most expensive of what I have owned but worth the extra layout IMO. May go after the external PS unit down the road as well.

Thanks!

I will say, to those who responded....That I have now brought home another lab grade power supply (not sure why I am suddenly getting international keyboard crap stuff...man...frikken windoze...And listened with the iFi...definitely lower noise floor here...By quite a lot. But I donèt see a proper path here...

Anyway....thanks for the the feedback....still going to listen to others over the summer...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:37 pm 
Dealer/Sponsor

fifthbusiness wrote:
mpublicover wrote:

Thanks!

I will say, to those who responded....That I have now brought home another lab grade power supply (not sure why I am suddenly getting international keyboard crap stuff...man...frikken windoze...And listened with the iFi...definitely lower noise floor here...By quite a lot. But I don't see a proper path here...

Anyway....thanks for the the feedback....still going to listen to others over the summer...

Hope it is an old analog type variable power supply, as the new ones can be pulse types. You can also make a small CLC type filter for the output of the lab supply, it helps bring the noise down further and preserves stability under dynamic draw, which is what the phono unit (or any complex AC amplifying device) will be doing. The last bit of noise, for audio draw conditions, from regulated supplies... can come from the dynamic aspects of the regulation of the lab's regulation proper. Odds are it will be a chip type regulator (if it is a new cheap unit) with the variable pot being the lab supply's controls. Some of the old HP units are nice, as they are all discrete, no chip regulation. Re-capping one of those can serve well as a inexpensive audio grade lab supply. I've got three of the 6237B units for that very purpose. I think their max is about +/- 20V/0.5A, though.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:12 am 

Jolida JD9

Musical Surroundings Phonomena

Musical Paradise

I like a phono pre with lots of settings to facilitate the cartridge and table swapping I enjoy.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:02 am 

fifthbusiness wrote:
I would love to "blame" poor audio on the Marantz...it's gotta' be the weak link here???

I would say the Marantz is the weak link in your system. It is a given that the source is the most important part of any system, but there also needs to be a balance in the overall system, and placing a phono pre worth substantially more than your receiver seems a little unbalanced to me. I think in your position I would look for a different integrated amp. Something like a used Linn or Naim. Some of their older models even offer a built in phono stage. I think you would find a big difference switching out that Marantz for something more two channel oriented. Just my thoughts.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:33 am 

johnnyj wrote:
Musical Paradise

I like a phono pre with lots of settings to facilitate the cartridge and table swapping I enjoy.

Stay far, far away from a Musical Paradise MP-P1 if you value a quiet phono stage. It's easily one of the worst I've heard for noise. Maybe the MP-P2 is better but I've never heard one yet.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:34 pm 

Flash wrote:
fifthbusiness wrote:
I would love to "blame" poor audio on the Marantz...it's gotta' be the weak link here???

I would say the Marantz is the weak link in your system. It is a given that the source is the most important part of any system, but there also needs to be a balance in the overall system, and placing a phono pre worth substantially more than your receiver seems a little unbalanced to me. I think in your position I would look for a different integrated amp. Something like a used Linn or Naim. Some of their older models even offer a built in phono stage. I think you would find a big difference switching out that Marantz for something more two channel oriented. Just my thoughts.

Well, I've had the chance to listen to the Parasound on both my system as well as my friend's...As well as the iPhono 2. I would say the differences between the two phono preamps are obvious on both systems.

So I no longer think the Marantz is the limiting factor here...Interesting...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:05 pm 

petersch wrote:
johnnyj wrote:
Musical Paradise

Stay far, far away from a Musical Paradise MP-P1 if you value a quiet phono stage. It's easily one of the worst I've heard for noise. Maybe the MP-P2 is better but I've never heard one yet.

I have not heard a Musical Paradise but I have heard a Musical Fidelity MX-VYNL. It was no where as good as the iPhono, IMHO...

I have also heard a Dynavector P75 (earlier model) when considering the iPhono. IMHO the iPhono is superior to the Dynavector, as much as I love DV gear...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:29 pm 

petersch wrote:
johnnyj wrote:
Musical Paradise

You are absolutely correct Pete,
It has more background noise than either my highly modded Jolida JD9 or my Musical Surroundings Phonomena II.
That said, I only notice the noise in between tracks and that isn't real bothersome to me in the system I have it in.
Even though the MP-P1 isn't the quietest, it does sound pretty sweet!!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:11 pm 

My advice is to check out a Herron. Since I've gotten mine in no longer have a wandering eye regarding phonos. And no need to fear tubes. Horror stories are usually regarding amplifiers that are trying to get too much power out of two few tubes.
Other than the Herron, sticking with stuff that's already been mentioned I think I would try one of the Hagerman products or the manley chinook.

You could always read up on the Herron on audio gon, there's quite a number of very satisfied users there. One of the most helpful, informative gentleman is named ALMARG.