Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:06 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:25 pm 

Quote:
... A LACK table doesn't do anything bad... It's rigid and it doesn't store energy...

This is what I would commonly refer to as being "Blanket Statements". In general, "Blanket Statements" can sometimes send the wrong message.
In my opinion only... Just because, the Lack Table is 'relatively' light in weight -- Does not mean that it does not store energy.

Food For Thought:

This being an 'Audio' Forum... Pretty much everybody knows what an 'Electrolytic Capacitor' is (I hope) ???
Although, the average Electrolytic Capacitor is most certainly 'lighter in weight' than a LACK Table... It stores 'Energy' -- Does it not?
--
Many, many years ago... I had the opportunity to listen to the exact, same High-End Turntable.
The only thing that was changed in the 'Demonstration'... Was what the Turntable was sitting on.
Clearly, the point of the Demonstration/Learning Lesson (for myself) was:

"That what you choose to sit your Turntable on -- Can make a noticeable difference".
(*I of course was inexperienced, naive and very, skeptical -- At that time). :shock:
--
It was explained to me "Simply put"... That almost 'everything' stores energy. Usually, this is at 'Audio' Frequencies.
Quite often, these resonances are clearly 'Audible'.

To continue... The Turntable was sat on four (4) different Items (In no particular order):

1). A LACK Side Table.
2). An ordinary set of Masonry Concrete Blocks.
3). An oversized 'Half-inflated' Bicycle Inner Tube.
4). An 'inexpensive' Target TT Stand (Approx. $60... At that time).

Guess what? They all sounded quite different (*Some much better than others of course!)
--
I was told, that when choosing an 'Inexpensive' Turntable support... One needs to first consider what is called "Mechanical Resonance".
If one were to tap on 'say' a LACK Side Table with their Knuckles... What Do You Hear?

You will hear a 'Vibration'. You are hearing this vibration... Because you have 'excited' its Mechanical "Resonance Frequency".
--
When choosing an 'Inexpensive' TT Stand/Table... You 'usually' want something that has a 'Low' Resonant Frequency (Below 6Hz -- If at all possible).
*There are of course... Various and 'differing' opinions on this Subject.

In my opinion... There are better options available to them at this 'Price Point' than even a Lack Table (*Please see above for ideas).
This of course, is just my 'Personal' opinion... "Nothing More and Nothing Less".

Crosley Turntables need not apply! Thank-you!

Last edited by Takira71A on Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:42 pm 

In the last 45 years of turntable ownership, I have tried heavy and light stands . Without a doubt, the stands that were lightest allowed the turntable to sound its best. There were studies about this in the later 1970's and the same conclusions were made. The stand should weigh less than the turntable itself was the conclusion that Linn came up with.The Lack table is one example of a good, light support. Airborne feedback can be multiplied by a heavy mount.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:55 pm 

The 'above cited' Demonstration... Actually, took place at a 'Linn' Dealer.
And 'No'... The Target TT Stand was 'quickly' dismissed -- By all that were present.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:00 pm 

Takira71A wrote:
The 'above cited' Demonstration... Actually, took place at a 'Linn' Dealer. :lol:
And 'No'... The Target TT Stand was 'quickly' dismissed -- By all that were present.

No, the demonstration I went through was at the Linn factory and the Target stand did fine as did the Sound Organization stand.The heavy substitutes did not do well.It was not about brands or models of stands. It was about weight of stand. :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:26 pm 
Dealer/Sponsor

Sounds like the Linn Factory test regimen result was Device centric and also... marginally leaning toward some aspects of being single cause analysis/definitive.

A great place for an opinion bash up. Everyone has the chance to beat the other up and no one goes home a winner, except in their own mind. :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:49 pm 

@Takira71A, the better options to which you refer would be the ones below — correct ?

Takira71A wrote:
2). An ordinary set of Masonry Concrete Blocks.
3). An oversized 'Half-inflated' Bicycle Inner Tube.

There are better options available to them at this 'Price Point' than even a Lack Table (*Please see above for ideas).

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:07 pm 

Yes. That is correct!

A 'Combination' of these two (2) Items... Is 'actually' what I might suggest beginning with.
(*Bicycle Tube/s on top of something like Concrete Masonry Blocks etc). Also, try to think of a 'Multilayered' approach.

The 'Masonry Blocks' provide pretty, good 'Mass' (for the $$$) and a lower Mechanical "Resonance Frequency" (than 'say' the LACK Table)...
And the Bicycle Inner Tube/s (mostly air) provide inexpensive 'Isolation'. I actually know people with quite, expensive Turntables (5-10K+++)...
And they are still using 'DIY' items like this (After having tried $5K Audio Racks and Stands).
--
Of course, the 'Wife Acceptance Factor' (WAF) is really low. But with a little bit of 'ingenuity'...
It is surprising what one can actually do (be creative) and the results that they can achieve!
--
Also, just for the 'record'... I don't really have a problem with the 'Light' Shelf approach as is found on Audio Stands such as Sound Organization/Target.
My problem with these types of stands (and once again in my opinion only) is with the 'Hollow' Frame Tubing -- That they usually employ.

I agree that they are fairly light. The Metal Frames are also fairly stiff. However, if you 'tap' on them... "They Ring like a Bell".
--
In conclusion and like you mentioned earlier...
Inexpensive solutions "Let you spend more on upgrading the rest of your gear because it's cheap."

That of course is a good thing! Thanks for writing... And Have FUN!