Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:43 am 

Can I sell 1820 CD's as one transaction? i'm new.

We don't want to split up the collection. i've been reading the FAQ but am confused about the limits.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:58 am 

My understanding is that you can't list multiple items each with its own price in one ad. No problem listing a package deal with one price.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:08 am 

Others are doing it:
https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details ... 75-in-all/
(No relation to the seller.)

I searched for "Lot of" with the quotation marks in the search A/V classified box to find examples.

At my desk right now: Kavent CD-731, Gallo Stradas, Gallo TR3D Sub, Raysonic SE-30A mk II (winter amp), ShengYa AS90 (summer amp), Dragonfly DAC2

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:10 am 

And then you would likely have to have a list you can send to interested parties. I suspect you'll get a lot less selling as a package.....

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:50 pm 

claenersr wrote:

We don't want to split up the collection. i've been reading the FAQ but am confused about the limits.

Beethoven's Piano Sonata No. 30 is the only thing relevant from 1820.

Good luck.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:11 pm 

You must be able to sell as a 'lot'. Other do all the time. A set price for 1820 cds, I'd gather.

However, if you're willing to sell separately, mention it.

I tend to only buy what I need as I already between 700-800 and I get way too many dupes if I buy a collection.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:10 am 

Yeah you can do it on here. I sold a 2200 lot a few years ago. Eventual buyer came from elsewhere but I had interest here too. The other buyer just happened to be more desperate to get on the deal and showed up the same day.

-- 09 Nov 2018 15:18 --

Che Cavolo wrote:
And then you would likely have to have a list you can send to interested parties. I suspect you'll get a lot less selling as a package.....

You would for obvious reasons. In my experience, selling lots of this size as a "buyer takes all", means you have to offer them up at a very low price. Trying to find someone who will pay $1 each (just as an example) is not a good strategy unless it's a particularly great collection. If the OP prices them at $0.25-0.50 each they'll go. Actually $0.50 per unit might be too ambitious. When I sold my 2200 lot I asked for $500 and received a lot of replies. It took me about 90 minutes to sell the lot. I listed, and 90 minutes later the buyer was driving away with the goods. But my price was very good so to collectors or broker types it's worth the risk. He didn't even look at anything, I told him what genre's it covered at most.

Selling individually is time consuming and unless the seller has some particularly rare and valuable cds, it might not be worth it. Postage also kills potential sales.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:38 am 

Captain_Howdy wrote:
claenersr wrote:

Beethoven's Piano Sonata No. 30 is the only thing relevant from 1820.

Good luck.

I think the OP is selling a collection of 1820 cd's and NOT music genre from circa 1820.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:15 pm 

Of course you can! Oh and by the way, I'd be interested in your list! I own more than 8000CDs and am always looking to expand my collection!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:30 pm 

What's a realistic price on a lot sale of that size? I have a bunch I was thinking of selling but I have a feeling the O.P. is thinking a
price higher than what I am thinking.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:53 pm 

Canadiansnowland wrote:
What's a realistic price on a lot sale of that size? I have a bunch I was thinking of selling but I have a feeling the O.P. is thinking a

If you want the whole lot to go at once, you'll need to keep the price quite low.

On the other hand, if you don't mind listing them all, you can price them higher and/or individually. I'm always looking to expand - but, I rarely take a collection as I end up with too many dupes to sell off again.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:35 pm 

Canadiansnowland wrote:

Depends on a few things. If you're selling it as an all or nothing deal then the price will be lower vs allowing buyers to pick lots out.

Also, if you're collection is mostly 90's Top 100 Billboard sort of stuff you'll be lucky to get anything for it.

But if you have a good amount of classic rock, jazz, even classical, you'll be in better shape.

It also depends on how much patience you have. Pricing at $0.25 a unit will move the collection quicker. But over all I'd say you'd be looking at $0.25 to $0.50 per unit. Maybe as much as $1 per unit for exceptional collections.

People who buy your collection will likely already have an avenue for reselling everything or whatever he doesn't want.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:28 am 

I think that is very realistic pricing. Local brick and mortar stores seem to average $2-$3 piece for used cds when buying individually. Very popular ones might hit $5, while the blow out bins are $1.
Pricing for large lots privately seems realistic in the .25 to .50 cent range.
I remember I use to be able to vinyl in that price range and cheaper.