Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: KT 120
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:36 pm 

tube54 wrote:
BinkyTheCat wrote:
how would one go about reinforcing that socket? I'm sorry man but we're not pulling engines here...

with the 120 my concerns after electrical confirmation were clearances - distance between sockets, nearby components, cage clearance etc. make sure they can fit.

anyhoo, the original version was a confirmed NO for the 120's. The mk2 and mk3 (with the fan) were rumored to be able to take the xtra current.

I still would strongly suggest to contact arc to confirm.

My then ARC D-250 tube power amp that has 4 fans in it for cooling was rumored to be a candidate for a KT-120 tube replacement as well until I got a hold of Leonard from ARC. He told me that the only way for it to be safely operated with KT-120 tube is to rebuild the whole amp but with no guarantee that it will sound any better. However, he did guarantee me that it will definitely present a new set of problems after the rebuilt. So needless to say...he told me to just enjoy it as it is of which I did...

Tube 54. Good post......Well there you go guys. Unfortunately, Leonard [the national service manager at ARC] has retired but you could take his advice to the bank.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:51 am 

ARC seem to have a standard answer of "No, that's not how we designed it" for most questions about interchangeability. I get it, they spend a lot of time designing something to work its best and don't want to deal with deviations, or service issues if they do say yes. No harm, no foul.

I called them about a VT-100 Mk1 a few years ago, that was the answer. More recently I bought a Ref 75 amp, which uses KT-120s and when I called to ask about using KT-150s was told that was only done in amps that were upgraded to the SE version and the upgrade included the KT-150s and a couple of small parts.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:14 am 

I am not a fan of the Tung Sol KT120. Even though they are the stock tube in Rogue amps, in mine I find them powerful sounding, but also boomy in the upper bass and dry and lacking bloom in the midrange and air on top. A solid state type of sound to me. I can see many people liking that type of sound but its not for me, maybe not for you either. I would stick with 6550 or KT88. The Preferred Series KT88 from the tube store.com are my favorite current production KT88. Not sure about 6550 other than the original Tung Sols, but tough to find a quad in good shape these days. There is a guy on Audio Asylum trader (JSTRM) who has NIB 1980s GE 6550 available in quads for $560 US. Those would be a great tube for your amp. A little pricier than the reissued Tung Sols but very tough high quality tubes that last a long time. The tubes ARC originally used in their amps.
Good luck and let us know what you end up going with.