Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 456 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:17 am 

Thanks devon58

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:18 am 

I have been in and out of this topic for a while. It's a great one, probably one of the best threads on Canuck in a while.

I have read about the MP-301 a lot and I have been enjoying mine for a while now with RCA Black Metal 6SJ7 and Tung-Sol 7581A tubes. This has been a great combination and I love the sound.

I am using a Mytek Brooklyn DAC that is unfortunately spec'd as a proaudio tool and it puts out a lot of juice. This leaves me little attenuation usable, so I was thinking I could see if there are some lower powered tubes out there to give me a bit more volume control.

I have some Tannoy DC-100 speakers and they sound lovely with the amp and tubes, but I'm hoping for some suggestions on lower powered tubes.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:00 am 

Brooster wrote:
I am really happy with the sound of the rebuilt 301. It seems to have worked out very well. I made the choice of not increasing power supply capacitance by much but concentrated on using really good quality PS caps. Also I think the Amtrans coupling caps have turned out to be much better than expected.
There isnt much that can be done with the power supply in the 301, but the discrete diode bridge and the oversized choke, seem to be a really worthwhile upgrade. The inductance goes from 1H to 1.5H
I implemented the change in my own 301, after hearing the rebuilt version.
Attachment:
IMG_20180812_171742734.jpg

I would love to do the choke and rectifier mods for this amp this Holiday season. Please share where you purchased the parts required for the mods and any installation tips/tricks.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:18 am 

dlodewyk wrote:
I am using a Mytek Brooklyn DAC that is unfortunately spec'd as a proaudio tool and it puts out a lot of juice. This leaves me little attenuation usable, so I was thinking I could see if there are some lower powered tubes out there to give me a bit more volume control.

I found my MP-301 had a lot more usable volume control after removing the C6/C6A cathode bypass capacitors.
I sometimes feed it from a Wadia 12 that has a whopping 5V output...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:11 am 

I would love to do the choke and rectifier mods for this amp this Holiday season. Please share where you purchased the parts required for the mods and any installation tips/tricks.[/quote]

Fast recovery diodes. 600v 15amp. Digikey # MUR1560G05-ND
Hammond 156R choke. Digikey # HM3518-ND
Discrete Bridge Rectifier PCB Type 2 Parts Connexion SKU # PCB 77727

Tips/Tricks.
Its pretty straight forward, keep the polarity correct, for diodes and install.
I used resistor leads for the legs. Whatever you use, make sure you have enough diameter for the current required. Allow enough room so that you can access the input screws that will now be under the new diode board.
Pete if he has a minute can explain about mounting the choke properly as it is a little wider than the stock choke.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:37 am 

Brooster wrote:
I would love to do the choke and rectifier mods for this amp this Holiday season. Please share where you purchased the parts required for the mods and any installation tips/tricks.

Fast recovery diodes. 600v 15amp. Digikey # MUR1560G05-ND
Hammond 156R choke. Digikey # HM3518-ND
Discrete Bridge Rectifier PCB Type 2 Parts Connexion SKU # PCB 77727

Tips/Tricks.
Its pretty straight forward, keep the polarity correct, for diodes and install.
I used resistor leads for the legs. Whatever you use, make sure you have enough diameter for the current required. Allow enough room so that you can access the input screws that will now be under the new diode board.
Pete if he has a minute can explain about mounting the choke properly as it is a little wider than the stock choke.[/quote]

Thanks.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 456 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31