Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Bryston 2b
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:48 pm 

Thoughts on these? I've only read good things and am enjoying mine for a few months now. I have a pair of them. One was bought through here. They have both been refurbished at the factory in Peterborough. I've used them separately in 2 systems. Preamps were a DB Systems db-1A and a Marantz 4140. Currently I am listening to the db-1A and the two 2B's in bridged mono mode driving L+R channels. Eventually I'd like to try an active crossover to drive tweeters and woofers separately.

The Bryston 2B amp is rated at 50wpc. When bridged they reach the theoretical max of 4 times the unbridged output: 200wpc, possible due to their robust build. The Marantz is interesting because it is a quadraphonic integrated amp, 4 x 25wpc, but it has a stereo mode (bridged) that puts out 70wpc.

With the db-1A preamp, I needed to reduce its output to the amp because the minimum volume setting was almost too loud for some situations. I placed -12db attenuators in line between preamp and amp. This allows the volume dial to work more effectively at lower volumes.

My pair of 2B Bryton amps are very early ones, built when the company was still located in Rexdale. When I picked up my amps recently from their Peterborough location, I was able to meet Chris, Bryston's CEO and designer of the original 2B. They have an early 2B amp like mine in a showcase along with other milestone products like their very first commercial studio amp with 2 huge vu meters.

Last edited by FrankSch on Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Bryston 2b
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:52 pm 
Premium User

Little bright and a forward sound...

not my cup of tea but it is not a bad amp

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:10 pm 

They are fine amps. I find the comments about them being bright are more common when paired with a bright preamp or bright speakers. They are great for smaller or efficient speakers. An upgrade would be the Bryston 3B ST or later. Enjoy!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:02 am 

I have owned Bryston 2B LP (low profile, meant for rack mount-pro use). The LP uses higher quality components inside like the power supply -toroidal core transformers instead of the older laminates. The LP sounds better than the original 2B. I have never heard of anyone posting on line or stating to me that they preferred the early 2B. Both are great amps but Bryston makes design and build improvements with their newer incarnations of their products.

I currently own a Bryston 3B NPB. Neither this amp or the 2B LP sounds bright or has forward upper midrange that might be fatiiqueing. My NPB, is the pro version of the NRB with balanced inputs-XLR connectors instead of the RCA unbalanced. Alternatively, using 2B LP's like the OP mentioned, each in bridge mode, is a great way to go when you need more clean high current wattage for your inefficient speakers.

These Bryston's are stable amps that can drive challenging loads with impedance swings down to 1 ohm or so. Think of Acoustat 3 or Magneplanar II or IIIB. Bryston devised ways to make their amplifiers bullet proof and have that full big sound stage with detail, full range sound, low roll off capable tight defined bass information without coloring the sound. I once compared a Threshold Stasis 3 -class A amplifier to my 3B. It was better but it didn't blow the 3B NPB away by any means. These are very different amplifier designs so there will inherent benefits of one over the other. Not to mention the early 1980's Threshold cost much more back in the day relatively speaking to what the NPB sold for in 1992.

The 2B LP has reasonably high current output and it is a very stable 60 watt per channel amplifier. These are twin powered amps- each channel has it's own power supply. Bryston uses high quality components so not only the design is good but so is the build quality and of course sound.

Some of the older pre NRB amplifiers are somewhat bright sounding. Assuming the bias is set for both channels; not too high etc.. the can sound pretty good but can still be a bit bright. On last point, Bryston audio is manufactured in Peterborough Ontario- not China. This might not be another reason for some, but I know it is a selling point for customers. BTW, the initials NRB or SST for example, are those of the amplifier designers.

Last edited by Musicware4u on Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:20 am 

audioroom wrote:
They are fine amps. I find the comments about them being bright are more common when paired with a bright preamp or bright speakers. They are great for smaller or efficient speakers. An upgrade would be the Bryston 3B ST or later. Enjoy!

Have you heard the NRB or NPB version of the Bryston 3?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:25 am 

Musicware4u wrote:
audioroom wrote:

Yes, and they aren't as good as the ST (or later) models. If you want a Bryston and can't really afford it, they are cheap enough though.

Sorry, Mister Vice President, 'The Handmaid's Tale' is not a documentary.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:43 am 

I've owned a 2BLP for several years now and use it to drive a pair of Stirling LS3/5A speakers. These products are a perfect match and play flawlessly in my 11' x 11' office. They go well with my LP12 TT and Bryston DAC.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:48 am 

I have a 2B LP with KEF 104ab speakers. As Audio Guy says, sounds very good and seems to go well with "British" speakers, great neutral mid range and no harsh treble with controlled bass.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:14 am 

I used a Bryston 2B LP for a decade as my main amplifier ... driving Celestion SL-6si, another Brit. When I needed more power I contacted Bryston directly and spoke to James Tanner about getting a second to run bridged. He advised against for my case (PSB Gold-i) indicating heat sink capacity not really up to the task.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:58 am 

Some time ago, I used three 2B-LPs in stereo-mode in my 6.1-channel home theatre system, and they worked great with my Arcam AV9 pre/pro.
When I went to 7.1-channels, I sold one of the 2B-LPs and got a 5B-ST (for the front three channels) and used the other two for the rear and surround channels.

I tried bridging a pair of 2B-LP units, and they just didn't sound right to me. A 3B-ST sounds much better (and is more stable), and it is cheaper than a pair of 2B-LP units anyway. Unbridged 2B-LPs sound great unless you expect huge volumes, but they just don't have the headroom that the more powerful Brystons have. I use a 4B-SST in my main 2-channel system, and it handles anyting I throw at it, even with 4 ohm speakers. I certainly wouldn't use bridged 2B-LPs into 4 ohms, especially at high volumes.

As far as the original 2B is concerned, I wouldn't buy one … and I am a Bryston fanboy.

Sorry, Mister Vice President, 'The Handmaid's Tale' is not a documentary.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:17 pm 

I own a DB Systems preamp and yes gain galore.First 20% on the volume control is as far as you can go.
Since the preamp has 2 sets of outputs the OP could try a stereo biamp setup with 2B's.

G

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:19 pm 

I've owned a couple of them. Good reliable amps, but certainly nothing close to what would be called "audiophile".

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:20 pm 

Quadzilla wrote:
Musicware4u wrote:
audioroom wrote:

Yes, and they aren't as good as the ST (or later) models. If you want a Bryston and can't really afford it, they are cheap enough though.

My thoughts exactly. The ST series was a significant upgrade. I have owned many Bryston 3Bs including the NRB, ST and SST. Great little amps and the 2Bs are no slouch either.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:38 pm 

On the subject of bridging...

I own, and still use, a variety of somewhat "vintage" power amps in my various home systems, a number of which can be, and on a number of occasions have been, operated in bridged mode. Some of these are comparable to the Bryston 2B, in terms of specs and performance.

While I would be hard pressed to point to a specific reason why, in general I prefer to use a higher powered stereo amp over two lower powered stereo amps bridged to mono. If you've already got them (as I did) then sure, go ahead and do it. But if I were starting from scratch, and knew I would really need the power levels obtained by bridging, then I'd buy a single more powerful stereo amp instead.

Jeff

(NAD 2150 (2), NAD 2155 (2), NAD 2200, Carver A-400x (5) - to name the bridgeable amps (and number of) that I currently have)