All times are UTC - 8 hours

Which turntable to get?
Dual 1019 57%  57%  [ 8 ]
HT-21 29%  29%  [ 4 ]
HT-320 14%  14%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 14
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:10 pm 
Dealer/Sponsor

the only thing really ok with the HT-320, is that it has decent footers. comparatively speaking.

Motor is ok, IIRC, same motor as the Yamaha yp-66?. Might be a micro seiki unit....

All I know is that it is a big ass ac syncro unit, not a small 12V DC regulated cassette deck motor re-purposed for a turntable, which is what the ht-21 has.

Bearings ok, chassis cheap plastic, arm bearings ok(ish), headshell is cheap plastic.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:07 pm 

Sansui SR222 (belt) or a Kenwood KD3070, Technics SLD2 or SLQ2 (Direct Drive) are tables I have had and recommend on a budget or entry level. Lots of common cartridge options. Good reliable tables that can be modified or left as is. I used plasticine to stuff the Technics plinths and heat shrinked an arm and plugged the end with foam etc trying things out. Footers and mats. It was fun stuff. Many other arms will play nice with the carts that fit in those tables too should you decide to move up to higher end setups in the future.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:11 am 

ripblade wrote:
If it was my choice and these were the only options, I'd pick the Hitachi 320. A more substantial arm provides more options than the T4p arrangement on the 21. The Dual brand has a large following, but I would never consider a deck with a 10" platter to play 12" records.

Normally I would agree with you, but keep in mind that the OP seems to know nothing about turntables. He is likely getting one because it would be cool to have one.
In that case, having a P-mount tonearm would likely be the best option ... no muss, no fuss, no pesky set-up adjustments. It should also be much cheaper than the others.

Don't blame your Millennials for doing nothing. You did tell them they could do anything they wanted to do.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:45 am 

Boertjes1 wrote:
I am new to owning a vintage turntable. I recently hooked up my component stereo system and decided to get return table. I have friends who are willing to sell me either a dual 1019, a Hitachi ht-21 or a ht-320. Assuming that they are all in great working condition, which one should I choose? And why?

Neither one that you have listed accept for the 1019. Go for a Dual 505-2 belt drive turntable. You can pick one up for around $140 with the wood base. You have a wider range of choices for cartridges rather than just going with Ortofon (Dual) OM series cartridges and it sounds great for the $$-hard to beat.

Last edited by Musicware4u on Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:45 am 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:01 am 

Quadzilla wrote:
ripblade wrote:
If it was my choice and these were the only options, I'd pick the Hitachi 320. A more substantial arm provides more options than the T4p arrangement on the 21. The Dual brand has a large following, but I would never consider a deck with a 10" platter to play 12" records.

Normally I would agree with you, but keep in mind that the OP seems to know nothing about turntables. He is likely getting one because it would be cool to have one.
In that case, having a P-mount tonearm would likely be the best option ... no muss, no fuss, no pesky set-up adjustments. It should also be much cheaper than the others.

True that, Quad. My choice isn't based on plug n play, nor do I have anything in particular against low mass/high compliance setups (quite the opposite, actually). But often the implementation undermines the objective qualities of a particular ideal. Direct drive is another example of where a good idea earned a bad rep because of cheap implementation. T4P seems to have been relegated to the status of entry level more so than most other basic setups. Sure, some decent cartridges are there, but is the deck up to it?

The other options are not PnP, but I don't think that should be the overriding concern here. The OP can always find someone to set it up for him if he prefers it....it's not rocket science.