Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:47 pm 

Does anyone know a good source for multi section electrolytic can capacitors?

Specifically, I'm looking for 40/20 uf 450V, and 40/100/40/40 uf 350V.

Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:01 pm 

solen.ca

digikey.ca

partsconnexion.com

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:32 pm 

Antique Electronic Supply,

F&T Authenticap or Hayseed Hamfest for custom

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:25 pm 

A1 Electronics in Etobicoke had boxes of various combinations of Sprague can multi-caps just inside the front door last time I was there, but that was a couple of months ago.
By now, who knows where they could be; you might spend a day there just looking for them........
:lol:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:36 pm 

I bought mine from dynakitparts.com - http://www.dynakitparts.com/dynakit-products/capacitors

Triode electronics also sells them: http://www.triodeelectronics.com/twisel.html

I would strongly recommend against buying "NOS" multi-section caps - if they haven't been used for so many years, they are as good as dead.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:29 pm 

Tube Depot has a large selection of High Quality made in Germany F+T multi section caps.Also made in USA CE types and JJ.s at very reasonable prices.You may not get the exact values but the voltage rating is negotiable as long as you choose a higher value than is required.So 500 or 550 volt ratings will suit you fine for both capacitors as long as you can physically fit them in place or tuck them under.Also you can boost the UF value of sections of the cap by adding extra caps in parallel.Always choose caps of the correct rated voltage value or more.I usually build with a little extra uF value also.As long as the turn on surge does not kill your rectifier the bigger the better for power supply capacitors.Its always better to buy new capacitors.And if possible slowly bring the capacitors to B+ voltage slowly with a variac.I have just bought a Vintage Dynaco ST 70 on E bay, I have not picked it up yet .It looks like it was beautifully modded in the late 80,s or early 90,s and has and has a fabulous selection of 4 Mullard GB input tubes on the driver board and The output tubes are Early model Gold Dragon selects.I will first test the tubes,then if all is ok plug it in to the variac and put 20volts ac then after a while 30 and so on over a 24hour period till I have 120 volts ac.This reforms the capacitors safely and you can quickly turn the voltage back to zero if you see smoke.There is nothing wrong with treating newly repaired equipment the same way.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:15 am 

zhenya01 wrote:
I bought mine from dynakitparts.com - http://www.dynakitparts.com/dynakit-products/capacitors

Triode electronics also sells them: http://www.triodeelectronics.com/twisel.html

I would strongly recommend against buying "NOS" multi-section caps - if they haven't been used for so many years, they are as good as dead.

Exactly! They are hit or miss as the electrolyte can dry out, just like the ones so dangerously in use for decades after their ~20 year life span. I have a pile of NOS Sprague can caps. Some work, some last few years, but most leak voltage so are perfect for re-stuffing.

Yes, caps can be reformed but now you're getting into dangerous territory if you don't have a cap checker. I don't mean the uF reading on your Fluke meter. I mean something like a Sprague Tel-Ohmike tester which can check a cap for voltage leakage at real world voltages up to 600vdc. You'd be surprised just how many caps don't re-form. IMHE don't mess with old e-caps (or film caps for that matter!) unless you have proper test equipment and are prepared to constantly monitor caps for leakage, just buy new fresh caps. Much cheaper than the power transformer you may have to replace because you save a few $$ re-using old e-caps!

Collecting vintage tube Pilot (Pilotone) HiFi gear.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:21 pm 
Premium User

flo777 wrote:
Does anyone know a good source for multi section electrolytic can capacitors?

Specifically, I'm looking for 40/20 uf 450V, and 40/100/40/40 uf 350V.

Thanks

Antique electronics supply is where I buy my multi caps from.They have largest selection of values,voltages and sizes.Plus their caps are made as exact replica of Sprague caps.(Made on original Sprague machines)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:30 am 

Have you tried eBay?

(shameless self-promotion) I have listed a range of Mallory multi-sections that were stored in a controlled environment. I have sold quite a large number with no failures/complaints.