Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:21 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 1:52 pm 

I'm not sure I understand why everyone disses the dd tables. With a rotation in sync with the platter the hum and vibration are nearly eliminated, and the mass of the motor coupled to the platter adds up to good rotational stability. There are some highly respected makes of suspended tables that use dd for motivation, Goldmund comes to mind. I think the dd tables reputation has been tarnished by their commercial success as a dj table, because the dd was the best design for scratching. Because of this, most were optimized for it, by being lighter, unsuspended, and cheaper for affordability. The dd motor itself is possibly one of the best drive systems around when done properly.

I once had a Technics SL 110 with the 14" high-hat platter. All cast aluminum construction with a steel pan, it was quite heavy. But it rang like a bell, especially the platter. I once tried a mat made of solid magnesium that when placed on the platter would stop the ringing dead. I forget the name and haven't seen it since, but if you come across one, give it a try.

Later on I filled the plinth completely with sand and put spikes under it, removing the stock feet. It was heavy before, but now took 2 people to move it. Talk about inert; no spl could quake it anymore. A rap of knucles on the armboard during playback made very little sound, and it never, ever skipped whilst doing so. It sat on a concrete pad for support with a cut-up bicycle inner tube to protect the surface under it. As I was living in a concrete highrise at the time footfalls were no issue, but I imagine a proper supension would have to be quite heavy duty.

I had a lot of fun with that table. Don't let anyone tell you dd tables are no good. Set it up properly and you'll have amazing experiences with yours.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 3:00 pm 

I find it interesting that I only recall one mention of music in the previous posts. Obviously having the isolation from vibration and the speed stability et etc all help to draw the music out, but if the music engages you, then that is what makes a TT or any component great (IMHO anyway).
jp

Post subject: What makes a TT great???
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 4:00 pm 
Dealer/Sponsor

Gentlemen:

Quite simply, the "Setup" is what makes a Turntable great.

Everything from proper geometry (distance from the spindle to the pivot point of the Tone arm) to VTA, Tracking, Alignment, Azimuth and on and on.

In addition, the Phono Stage ties into this as well.

Cheers,

MKOM :D

MKOM represents designs which combine the pinnacle of Audio Engineering Excellence with in-house experience.
Visit: http://www.mykindofmusic.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 6:28 am 

Over the years I have owned many tables. The best were the Direct Drive and the best of that line were the JVC QL series. 14 inch platter and the computer controlled arm. Tracking force controlled by magnets. Amazing. Why is that important. It's probably not but the theory as I understood it was with a counterweight arm, as it goes up a warp (no matter how mild) the tracking force would increase and then on the downside the force would diminish. The computer control would keep the same weight regardless as it checked it continuously. Makes total sense.
There is a lot of opinions that suspension is important and I agree especially for feedback. Tables like the Rega had none and I feel they suffered from it. When the Rega's were first released I purchased one of the Rega 2's and although very pretty had bad feedback problems.
DD turtables had close to zero for rumble or feedback.
It's amazing in the prime of turntables Direct Drive were the expensive ones and belt drive was entry level. How that has reversed.

Post subject: what makes
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 7:08 am 

Just recently one of my audio friends purchased a very old Rega 3 table that had an ADS(?)curved tone arm and an old Denon(not 103) MC cartridge this went into the cheap cambridge phono stage and then to an Audible Illusions line stage and an Art Audio Carissa SET amp to some unity(USA) fountain speakers.
We listened to cd thru a Meridian 528 cd player first ,then some vinyl.
What an improvement in sound!
Some in the group have vastly superior turntables etc, I wish we could have compared tables to tables as well.
That's the point.
You usualyy don't have more than just your own table to have opinions about and try to improve.
You may start to wish there was something you could improve about your vinyl set up, so you swap arms cartridges, etc.
Or you trade it all for something else and all it's foibles and start the process again.
I was almost going to go the new turntable route but stopped.
How would I know if the table I was getting is any better than what I have without comparing the two?
Sure there would be differences, but would I grow tired of them over time?
I have sold some pretty impressive vinyl set ups in the past and regretted it over time, as the cost of the best gear is now prohibitive.
As I sit and enjoy my vinyl replay, I wonder how much better it would have sounded on some of the other tables and arms that I had.
Oh well at least I still have the same FR cartridge.
I think the quality of the phono stages available now are the real reason vinyl sounds so good.
I know that is the case with my Sutherland and in my friends system, his Clearaudio at it's price is pretty hard to fault.
I don't think we would have enjoyed his first generation Rega(sans Rega arm)in anything from that time period.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 7:31 am 

Cardas Wire. :wink: