Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:59 am 

and was wondering if anyone has any advice ..... good or bad before I take the plunge?

The amp I am considering building is from Trinity in the GTA.

http://www.trinityamps.com/Trin18Over.htm

and is in the following kit form

http://www.trinityamps.com/Product_Parts.htm

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:19 am 

I would suggest you buy a vinetage Guitar tube amp that you will know the sound of.

Many of the vintage guitar amps are still reasonably priced collectables and will gain in value.

I never heard one, but I would consider a VOX AC30 - I think they run in class A.
Quite sure Brian May used AC30's.

Many of the Fenders and Marshalls are sure to gain in value.
Eric Clapton's famous SunShine of your Love Sound was just
a Les Paul, with Soap Bar Pickups, straight into a Fender Twin Reverb.

I owned a Hiwatt, but found it too raspy.
The WHo used Hiwatts

You could buy a Marshall head and then build you own speaker cabinet.
Original Celesian Green Backs are sought after drivers.
So much so, that I think they have reissued them.
You could build a small cabinet and then install original Green Backs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:41 am 

Also, did you see this ?

http://www.songbirdmusic.com

Song Bird used to have a Store here in Ottawa too.

Sad to see them going under.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:03 pm 

My friend likes to build tube guitar amps and has made a Marshal copy and a Trainwreck copy at a fraction of retail. There is lots of schematics for all these amps at no cost on the web.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:11 pm 

Hey, guys. Thanks for the responses.

Underhill. I've got a bunch of geeetar amps but have never built one. So I want to try soemthing new. These kits seem like the ticket since getting an original M18 aint in the cards.

I have heard the Trinities, the Newalls and the Texiera's and favour the Trinity slightly at this point.

Sorry to hear songbirdmusic going T's up. I may venture on over there.

Bradshag. I acquired a Ceriatone 'wreck express and absolutely love it. It would make Ken Fischer proud. But I want a 18, and I want the convenience of having everything in kit form, especially the iron, so I don't have to bother sourcing it all out. Local support is also nice in case I end up having troubles. This will be my first tube kit build.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:00 pm 

Pneumonic,

The best sound I ever got from a Guitar Amp was

- an MXR Scrip Logo Dynamics Compressor
- Furman Sound Parametric Eq
- old General Electric 25 Watt amp with 2 EL34's - it also had tube rectification
- 10" Celestion

The Furman provided mic to line level gain so that the GE was a straight power amp.

Also, the parametric eq could be adjusted to get a wide variety of sounds.

Don't know how old the GE amp was, but it had settings for 78's.
This was easy the best sounding guitar amp I've ever heard.
Plus there was no hiss.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:42 pm 

Underhill. I've got a few fav sounding combo's.

For blues I use my '93 R0 LP with a '65 Fender Bassman blackface w/ vintage 30's in it.

When I had my 72 Tele, and was playing clean, I had a '90 red knob Twin w/ Oxford 12T6s.

The Ceriatone wreck I play with a '91 Flying V (496R & 500T) and this puppy screams. I use a PPIMV MV so that my geeetar volume pot can boost and allow me to go from a clean, gritty sound to insane feedback instantaneously.

I just bought a '93 LP Classic and I'm gonna pair it with the 18.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:40 pm 

Have you guys seen this yet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2_12Ler9B8

Glen Kuykendall with his original 59 LP ($400k) and original Trainwreck ($50k).

Now that's some sweet tone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:00 pm 

Pneumonic,

The Trinity kit looks like it has been designed for easy construction. Provided your soldering skills are up to the task, you will end up with a great sounding amp that you can be proud of. I've serviced hundreds of guitar amps over the past 25 years and the Trinity construction looks to be as good as the best from the big names. I recently serviced two amps for a colleague who does studio work, a Vox AC30 and a Crate Vintage Club 30 tweed (his favorite). They're both pretty simple designs and no better than the trinity chassis shown in the photos. Let us know how it turns out.

Is a man's best hedge
Against the vague uncertainies of life
Corb Lund

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:12 am 

Yaukui wrote:
Pneumonic,

The Trinity kit looks like it has been designed for easy construction. Provided your soldering skills are up to the task, you will end up with a great sounding amp that you can be proud of. I've serviced hundreds of guitar amps over the past 25 years and the Trinity construction looks to be as good as the best from the big names. I recently serviced two amps for a colleague who does studio work, a Vox AC30 and a Crate Vintage Club 30 tweed (his favorite). They're both pretty simple designs and no better than the trinity chassis shown in the photos. Let us know how it turns out.

From what I am told the kits are quite easy to assemble as Trinity provides an exhaustive (65 page) install manual with the purchase.

It so happens that a T18 TMB is listed for sale on Craigs locally. It shows the main PCB which will form the crux of the assembly work it would seem. Doesn't appear to be an overly daunting task.

http://toronto.craigslist.ca/tor/msg/541286534.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:33 am 

I have a bunch of spools of silver solder hanging around. Should I bother using it and, if so, on which solder connections would it be most beneficial in your opinion?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:44 am 

well I may as well wade in here, since my first amp in 1964 (an orange Belltone with purple grille cloth) i've owned pretty much every amp out there. Since sort of retiring i've culled my collection from 30 or so down to 9, the best 9 in my mind for my styles. A 1959 Fender Bassman that I use with a 62 Fender Reverb unit, a 56 Fender Deluxe, 2 64 Vox AC 30 TB's, one in blue one in tan, a 64 Ampeg Portaflex with a single 15" and an extension cabinet with an 18", a 64 Super Reverb, a 60 Tweed Champ, a Marshall "Bluesbreaker" circa 65 and a 65 Ampeg Reverb Rocket.

I've never built an amp but I sure have had a lot of mods done, I'd be interested hearing how you get along with the Trinity project should it commence!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:34 am 

Pneumonic wrote:
I have a bunch of spools of silver solder hanging around. Should I bother using it and, if so, on which solder connections would it be most beneficial in your opinion?

No, don't go there. Silver solder requires higher heat to flow properly which depends on the % of silver content. Your chances of creating a cold joint are much higher with silver solder, especially with simple soldering equipment. Stick with Kester 60/40.

Is a man's best hedge
Against the vague uncertainies of life
Corb Lund

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:50 am 

Fenderbender wrote:
well I may as well wade in here, since my first amp in 1964 (an orange Belltone with purple grille cloth) i've owned pretty much every amp out there. Since sort of retiring i've culled my collection from 30 or so down to 9, the best 9 in my mind for my styles. A 1959 Fender Bassman that I use with a 62 Fender Reverb unit, a 56 Fender Deluxe, 2 64 Vox AC 30 TB's, one in blue one in tan, a 64 Ampeg Portaflex with a single 15" and an extension cabinet with an 18", a 64 Super Reverb, a 60 Tweed Champ, a Marshall "Bluesbreaker" circa 65 and a 65 Ampeg Reverb Rocket.

I've never built an amp but I sure have had a lot of mods done, I'd be interested hearing how you get along with the Trinity project should it commence!

Wow, nice stuff, Fender.

Do you only play Fenders as your screen name implies? If you are willing, I'm interested in hearing of your music and gear background.

Do musicians ever truly retire?

Last edited by Pneumonic on Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:52 am 

Yaukui wrote:
Pneumonic wrote:

No, don't go there. Silver solder requires higher heat to flow properly which depends on the % of silver content. Your chances of creating a cold joint are much higher with silver solder, especially with simple soldering equipment. Stick with Kester 60/40.

Yaukui

Does it matter that I have a variable temp solder station and clip on heatsinking tools and clips at my disposal?

The Lockheed Martin solder I have is listed as 95·5% tin, 3·8% silver, 0·7% copper alloy with an eutectic melting point of 217°C and recommended iron bit temp of 340°C ..... if that helps any.