Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:31 am 

I.S.C.T – ‘Illuminating Frontier’ Build Up of a set of Reference / Near field Speakers with Bass Unit ….

This is my very first try to build to an idea from way back; a set of Reference / Near field Speakers with a separated bass unit. So as the opportunity arose and I was in the middle of building the Test (Sealed/Vented) Build Up C which is quiet the similar shape, and so I was simple building as I had the plans now for some time & while the sub was in its first stages of its running in time.

Unfortunately I have to say that I did had my fair share of problems with this project as I had among other things a router bit breaking on me (just like that) and with that it did some damage of course, but I did also accidentally glued a panel which should not have been glued so all in all the design & visual outcome of this all is not quiet the outcome I envisaged because I had to make changes to save this project. Never the less there will be soon a next upgraded project.

Anyway, as a Test enclosure and the first of this kind it did not came up to bad! Most likely as it looks it will end up after the running in period or before in my bedroom as I always wanted something like that so I would have a better excuse to lie in bed a little longer.

I also have since a couple of weeks some new electronic equipment like CD Player (Optical the works) DAC, Amp, Linear power supplies AC & USB, filtering equipment, AU - HiFi - AC voltage power cables, high grade speaker cables Etc. and which by the way also included a Valve Pre-Amp & another Valve Pre-Amp & Headphone Amp, and I just love that enriched sweet & so very clear sound in general, but especially that Pre-Amp no.1 (no. 2 still in transit) so I think that would has to run this set up once completed.

Now it is also the first time ever I completed a project (Sub Build Up C), but I did not finish it off as in painting Etc. because once I had it running I could not stop myself from wanting to listen to it more & more because it just simple had such a great sound which I enjoyed so very much. I’m eager now of course to finish off this set and join it up for the running in period.

It looks like to me that this set would need some nice little stands.

Sunday, March 26, 2017:
The first unit is completed and gone already upstairs for the test setup etc. full weight of the unit is 17.7 Kg without large solid metal Spikes!

rgs UpperCut

Attachments:
Picture 705aa.jpg
Picture 705aa.jpg [ 187.64 KiB | Viewed 1359 times ]
Picture 701aa.jpg
Picture 701aa.jpg [ 217.62 KiB | Viewed 1359 times ]
Picture 697aa.jpg
Picture 697aa.jpg [ 212.91 KiB | Viewed 1359 times ]
Picture 661aa.jpg
Picture 661aa.jpg [ 198.36 KiB | Viewed 1359 times ]
Picture 663aa.jpg
Picture 663aa.jpg [ 202.89 KiB | Viewed 1359 times ]
Picture 676aa.jpg
Picture 676aa.jpg [ 218.5 KiB | Viewed 1359 times ]
Picture 678aa.jpg
Picture 678aa.jpg [ 177.48 KiB | Viewed 1359 times ]
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:50 am 

Hi,
Could you tell us what drivers and X-overs you are using?
They look really swell, you must have put some long hours into the builds!

Regards :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:09 pm 

ZetagUser wrote:
Hi,
Could you tell us what drivers and X-overs you are using?
They look really swell, you must have put some long hours into the builds!

Regards :)

Hi there,

Thanks for the reply! The drivers are both of 4 Ohm, one is the 6.5" Focal EXPERT PS165FX & the other the 4" JBL Weave Pot full range were as the Focal is a close to $ 500.00 set, and which I always wanted to try such highly regarded chassis.

Anyway, the Xovers are presently the Focal which come with it, but as modified units because I had to wait for three month for the once I intended to use, and which only arrived three days ago. These once where bought on Amazon which I like to do at times when they are right for what I’m looking, but now I have to wait again for some replacement parts to arrive to upgrade these units. Most of the times I use Xovers from my own stock (& there are a few) which I had used already before for testing etc. Once I do have that in hand what I'm looking for I will have my specs & I get good sets made by people I know in the Philippines, Australia or if of the absolute highest quality in Germany but that is very costly as well.
I think that this will be awhile off yet as this is only just a test set up presently as mentioned before.

Now, YES many hours but I'm a fully Retired one now and I do my hobby 24/7 to keep moving and the Knocker on top going so all in all no problem how long anything needs to finish as long it is 110% perfect in the end - Perfect to me & my acquired tastes!!!

rgs UpperCut

Attachments:
Picture 713aa.jpg
Picture 713aa.jpg [ 205.82 KiB | Viewed 1252 times ]
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:00 pm 

What's the big red spot?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:38 pm 

ngjockey wrote:
What's the big red spot?

Like it! One way of looking at it.

PLEASE view Image three(3) from the top (Red Spot is a 6.6" screen) & below that screen a 6.5" Passive Radiator!

rgs UpperCut

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:35 pm 

Hi there again,

Well, here are a couple of new Images from the completed Reference / Near field units I build resend! The Images are just quickly made in one of my empty rooms upstairs as these are just to heavy to carry around the place (upstairs/downstairs etc.). I guess in general I do not have to explain in detail of my first few days of listening pleasure as people will have heard of the quality & reputation of 'Focal' speaker chassis and the price range they are floating in. So the only thing to mention would be maybe ' Everything you heard in the good way is true X10!) after all you can get what you pay for even so I did myself not pay the full price of NZ $ 480.00 (only NZ $ 300.00), but I’m inclined to go for my favorites maybe next time HERTZ – Legend.

My presently ONLY item of surprise (as everything is well over any expectation) is that these small enclosures 'AS GREEN AS' are producing simple with a 6.5" speaker to much Bass on their own.
Yet 'EARLY DAYS' as in a month time I will take out the extra load it carries & after that fine tune more everything including the PR.

rgs UpperCut

Attachments:
Picture 724aa.jpg
Picture 724aa.jpg [ 209.03 KiB | Viewed 1128 times ]
Picture 727aa.jpg
Picture 727aa.jpg [ 244.65 KiB | Viewed 1128 times ]
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:55 pm 

Certainly, a modern and unusual look to them, well done.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:10 pm 

joe mandel wrote:
Certainly, a modern and unusual look to them, well done.

Thanks a lot!

I myself believe strongly by now in Shapes, Angles & Weight for any loudspeaker enclosures (Sound Reproduction) and of course the building method which highly counts as well. With it I have used and tried over the years lesser quality & higher quality chassis & the results are almost .... (4 & 8 Ohm chassis), and even by using automotive units as this one.
Automotive chassis are quiet / generally under valued seen as something not noteworthy, but in today’s world this kind of view is greatly misplaced as long you can get together the specs.

rgs UpperCut